gunnerjames

Reaction score

I am playing has Arsenal and currently working on developing 4231 formation My settings are as follows:

Very Fluid
Control
Passing - Shorter
Creative Freedom - Default
Pressing - More pressing
Tackling, Marking, Crossing and Roaming - all set to default

Defensive is line is set to push up
Wide play - narrow
Wide play (I am unsure if it is best to set it has passed down both flanks or through the middle) could the experts give me some help with this area
Tempo - Quick
Time Wasting - Rarely

Pos. Player Role Duty
GK Lukas Fabianski Sweeper Keeper Defender
DL Gael Clichy Full Back Support
DR Bacary Sagna Full Back Support
DC Thomas Vermalean Limited Defender Cover
DC Laurent Koscielnyl Limited Defender Stopper
MC Alex Song Ball Winning Midfielder Defend
MC Jack Wilshire Deep-Lying playmaker Support
AMR Theo Walcott Winger Attack
AML Andre Arshavin Inside Forward Attack
AMC Cesc Fabregas Advance Playmaker Attack
FC Robin Van Persie/Chamakh/Bednter Deep-Lying Forward Support

I have read on other FM forums that you should tick the roam from positin to yes for Inside Forwards and Wingers because this will allow them to create space for your full backs to move into and also the Inside Forwards/Wingers would become more effective in the attack. Could someone shed some light on this because I was under the impression that if I made them roam from position this would make wings vulnerable.

MY next question is should I give fabregas roam from position option - he will be the main creative hub of the team and I would like him to get in every phase of the play. Could I get some advice on this area.

Samir Nasri - what is the best position for him. I have thought about playing him as an Inside Forward Attack but I am not sure - please let me know what would be the best role for him. Some people are using him as a back up Cesc in the AMC position but I want him to start because he can improve my attacking play

Jack Wilshire should I play him has a box to box midfielder or deep lying playmaker support - any suggestion on how to make be more of an impact in the game would be helpful

Please feel free to give me any advice on tema intructions and role on duty for my players because I could do with help and feedback

Thanks​

Samir Nasri - what is the best position for him. I have thought about playing him as an Inside Forward Attack but I am not sure - please let me know what would be the best role for him. Some people are using him as a back up Cesc in the AMC position but I want him to start because he can improve my attacking play

Jack Wilshire should I play him has a box to box midfielder or deep lying playmaker support - any suggestion on how to make be more of an impact in the game would be helpful

Thanks

Why not swap Nasri with Walcott? Walcott doesnt cross as well as Nasri as a Winger.

As for Jack Wilshire i usually play him as a central mid..

Just something to share with you... :)

Ok lets go. so 1stly arsenal is a weird team, when its good, its good when not theyre terrible. so change mentality to balanced, widen up the play, put fabregas as advanced pm support, arshavin attacking mid attack, two inside forwards to cut inside, nasri on the left wilshere on the right, put sagna as wing back defend and clichy full back support with crossing often, also observe some games and tweak around the players individual roles, e.g i usually have van p on advanced forward with run from deep rarely run with ball sometimes no long shots or crosses and sometimes through balls. the reason your not winning is because the way you play is flawed, tbh. you play with a deep striker, two wingers and an amc who doesnt get into the box with low acceleration. if you put an advanced forward on, with two inside forwards assisting him getting inside with through balls, sagna can over lap on the right to cross, like in real life. also give fabregas some freedom and he'll start pinging balls around in no time. also, get rid of fabianski. or has he been solid?

Thanks mate but if i put sagna on wing back defend will he still overlapp down the right when the winger cuts insdie. The reason why I asked was because I thought that Wing Back Defend made him too defensive. Should I also make fabregas have afree role by making him roam from position - what about Wilshire and Nasri should they also have roam from position ticked to yes.

the reason your not winning is because the way you play is flawed, tbh.

But he didn't say anywhere in the OP that he is not winning. LOL.
As for the tactic, unless you retrain Fabregas to become a natural AMC, I wouldn't even play him there. Instead I would play a normal 4-2-4 with Fabregas and Song in the middle, Fab on Adv. Playmaker - Attack role, No roam from position, a lot of through balls, running with the ball at sometimes, and run from deep to often. I would put Arshavin on the left with an Inside forward - support role, Wilshere on the right also with the inside forward - support role (You can change with Nasri on either flank and play Nasri as a Adv. playmaker - attack), put RVP as a complete forward or deep-lying forward - support but no holding up the ball, and crosses set to sometimes. In the other attack position you should use either Vela or Walcott IMO because they both have excellent acceleration.

Here is my evidence. I won a domestic treble first season and the only signings I made were Mexes, Frey, and Sanogo.

View attachment 127782

View attachment 127783

View attachment 127784

View attachment 127785

View attachment 127786

As for the tactic, unless you retrain Fabregas to become a natural AMC, I wouldn't even play him there. Instead I would play a normal 4-2-4 with Fabregas and Song in the middle, Fab on Adv. Playmaker - Attack role, No roam from position, a lot of through balls, running with the ball at sometimes, and run from deep to often. I would put Arshavin on the left with an Inside forward - support role, Wilshere on the right also with the inside forward - support role (You can change with Nasri on either flank and play Nasri as a Adv. playmaker - attack), put RVP as a complete forward or deep-lying forward - support but no holding up the ball, and crosses set to sometimes. In the other attack position you should use either Vela or Walcott IMO because they both have excellent acceleration.

Here is my evidence. I won a domestic treble first season and the only signings I made were Mexes, Frey, and Sanogo.

View attachment 127782

View attachment 127783

View attachment 127784

View attachment 127785

View attachment 127786

Thanks Vlad

I have been retraining fabregas to play has a AMC recently. I would like to stay with the 4231 formation because of the way it plays. I can see from your screenshot that you have Wilshire as Inside Forward Attack but in your post you have Wilshire has Inside Foward Support. I could put Fabregas back in midfield Advance Playmaker Attack along with Song and then have Nasri in the AMC advance playmaker support (what do you think). Would you recommend that I have Clichy and Sagna as Wing Backs Defend

Yeah, that would work too. You could try and get Nasri and Cesc to swap positions that way giving Cesc a chance to get higher up the pitch. Wilshere should actually be in the support role. Well, for Clichy and Sagna, I have Clichy set to Full back - defend in away games and Wing Back - support in home games, and Sagna on Full-Back - defend for away games, and Full-back - support for home games. Hope that helps.

Yeah, that would work too. You could try and get Nasri and Cesc to swap positions that way giving Cesc a chance to get higher up the pitch. Wilshere should actually be in the support role. Well, for Clichy and Sagna, I have Clichy set to Full back - defend in away games and Wing Back - support in home games, and Sagna on Full-Back - defend for away games, and Full-back - support for home games. Hope that helps.

What about if I am playing a weaker team away from home would you advice to have the Full Back and Wing Backs on support duty or would that leave me too expose at the back away from home.

For home games I would have 6 players on support duty which includes my Full Backs/Wing Backs Inside Fowards AMC - Advance playmaker support and Striker, so that would mean 6 players on support 3 defend and 1 attacking player, would this have a negative affect my attack and goal scoring ratio

Could you let me know your team intructions I could use that has base to build my tactic

Well if you are playing weaker teams away from home you could try to use the home instructions for Clichy and Sagna, but I usually stick to the more defensive mindset since I generally play with a standard mentality away. As for the support thing, I doubt it would have a negative effect having so many players on a support duty. You will be surprised at how many goals even those players can get you. Arshavin has 20 assists and 9 goals for my side in those screenshots. As for my team instructions, I play Fluid, short passing, default creative freedom, more pressing, cautious tackling, default crossing, more roaming, zonal marking. Hope that helps.:)

playing 4-2-2-2 is abit risky, if u dont have the right CM's. cese and song will fit, but if its diaby and denislon, then they cant. but for attacking, i had rvp injured, so it was ahamk and bendtner and got a good result. :)

stick with 4-2-3-1 for a safe game play. works with me. :)

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

FC Robin Van Persie/Chamakh/Bednter Deep-Lying Forward Support
make it to do something with attacking mentality, no support.

Last edited:
Nasri's best role is trequartista according to the player role calculator

Well noted, so apologies. also well done on your save vlad, looks cracking. yes, sagna on wing back defend means he will overlap but also be abit cautious because if he supports, he will leave the back looking short. wouldnt play nasri as a treq, on the wing he wouldnt be a help and through the middle he needs to be hardworking. my beliefs are not to play an advanced playmaker amc because they dont attack the space the same way an attacking mid setting would, and also never use fab in a amc role because he lacks the acceleration and also, he's one of the best deep lyers so either use him in central as a dlp or advanced pm. use arshavin! lol get him going at amc attack and he's very good trust me.