LazarusLong

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm playing with Manchester United (of course), finished the first season with a nice double (EPL and FA cup).
Middle of the second season now and things are going generally well, leading the EPL and progressing in all competitions.

I'm using 3 different tactics (screenshots are added below):
1) 4-2-3-1 Control: my go-to tactic.
2) 4-1-4-1 Standard:for tough away games.
3) 4-4-2 Attacking: when i'm chasing a game.

While my 4-2-3-1 is having tremendous success in home games it's been complete rubbish in away games.
And while i don't mind using 4-1-4-1 when playing world class teams away from home i would prefer to avoid using it again the smaller clubs.

It seems when i play the 4-2-3-1 away from home my number of shots goes down to a third (!!!) while the opposition number of shots triples.
Usually i will go down 1-0 during the first half then play very attacking to come back, half of the time it works and i manage to draw/win but obviously sometimes it doesn't.

My question: how do i tweak the 4-2-3-1 Control to achieve domination away from home?
FYI (1) - my possession is always around the 60%, even in away games. It's just the number of shots and chances that changes.
FYI (2) - please remember some of these stats are skewed as after i concede i will usually switch to a very attacking and direct tactic around the 60th minute.

View attachment 172451
View attachment 172450
View attachment 172449
View attachment 172448
View attachment 172447
View attachment 172446
View attachment 172445
View attachment 172444
View attachment 172443

You do seem to give up many goals in the first half of the first half, so I'd question the defensive side of things, if I were you. On the surface, it does seem a bit split. You're closing down heavily, but just how much is your AML, AMC and ST helping here?

It doesn't apply to every single tactic. However, if you're interested in creating a control tactic.

You had better change the team shape to "Structured". If not, your defenders are supposed to participate into

the attacking situation. Then your opponents are able to exploit your defense lines without difficulty.

Especially, when you're having an away.

I see you concede too much in away games and first thing I think about is you'll handle better without offside trap, which is somehow risky. Also, you could instruct one of your full backs to defend and stay back all the time. Because you are stronger team, your opponent choose to play counter and they succeed to score against you on counter attacks. Against counter attacks you have several options: keep a full back in defend, use a DM (especially if your full backs have an important role in attack and crossing), defend a bit deeper (you have to instruct your center backs to pass a bit more direct).