Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Hi lads. I have created, what I beleive to be an exact copy of Barcelona's Tiki Taka tactic, but for some reason, Barcelona doesn't play well with it or have even close to possession it is supposed to achieve. I don't know if the game is bugged or am I doing something wrong, so If someone could take a look at it, I'd be gratefull.

This are the player roles and duties and formation:

These are the team settings:

And these are the shouts used:

Almost every slider is moved by tactic creator. The only thing I changed manually, is set defending corners, and offside trap.

And here is the tactic for download:

FC Barcelona(2).tac

Someone please tell me what am I doing wrong

First of all you should use either controlling or attacking strategy, what ever works the best for you, to push up your team so you have the ball on their side of the pitch. You dont have to you very fluid aswell, fluid should work just as fine. You should also change the individual settings on everyone to short pass and remove all longshots to rarley. You can also have your fb/wb to hold up the ball because they have it alot. You dont have to play with a narrow width and slow tempo. Having a faster tempo and a wider width will provide more passing options if your players moves into channels and run deep. Try that and see if it works better.

First of all you should use either controlling or attacking strategy, what ever works the best for you, to push up your team so you have the ball on their side of the pitch. You dont have to you very fluid aswell, fluid should work just as fine. You should also change the individual settings on everyone to short pass and remove all longshots to rarley. You can also have your fb/wb to hold up the ball because they have it alot. You dont have to play with a narrow width and slow tempo. Having a faster tempo and a wider width will provide more passing options if your players moves into channels and run deep. Try that and see if it works better.

Tiki taka is neither attacking neither defensive strategy...the team should always be in possession and never having to switch between defending and attacking....therefore, standard should be used...Possession is better kept with team staying deep, as that encourages them to stick to their position. However, pushing high when defending, and defending deep when in possession is how Barca plays, and also, players need to be close to opponents to press them efficiently, so I have used the push higher shout. All passing is set to short, and longshots are at minimum, which you prolly didn't notice, as I use work ball into box shout, shorter passing, and retain possession. Furthermore, fullbacks shouldnt be having hold up ball, as that allows the opposition time to move back into position. Slow tempo goes great with short passing, and increasing tempo would mean losing possession. Players are roaming and running from deep often, so pass into space is used to take full advantage. I assume you haven't actually looked at my tactic, or your football knowledge is low, but you still felt you need to give advice? Well, I appreciate the help, but I need someone "more versed" in the matter.

Last edited:
Several observations based on what you've provided;

*3 defensive playmakers in the middle of the park. Why? You've basically got three players in the middle of the park doing the same thing, one with a slightly different mentality. In the traditional Barca three (Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi), neither Busquets or Iniesta are defensive playmakers. Busquets is your typical water carrier (IMO), there to break up attacks and recycle possession. For that, anchorman is the role you want. For Iniesta, advanced playmaker or a central midfielder set to attack is the preferable option. Your midfielders are each offering something a little different, as they should.

*Puyol (RCB) isn't a ball playing defender, and is better suited to Limited defender, so I would switch those two around so the LCB is the ball playing defender.

*Fluidity - Personal preference, really, but I always find very fluid to be overkill to the point of being counter productive. Fluid is usually enough. If your team is roaming too much, a player might find his passing options actually limited when another player might have been in the right place.

*Narrow - Barca don't play nearly so narrow and by doing so, you're limiting the space your team utilises. You don't need to be set to 'wide' but more width is ideal here to better use the space on the pitch.

*Tempo - You can make a case for this either way. It is worth noting that Barca don't play with a slow tempo, they are capable of mixing it up. They play more cautiously yes, but IMO, this falls into the mentality category. With a higher (but not necessarily fast) tempo, your team will look to move the ball about more. The only time you would, again IMO, want to utilise slow tempo with short passing beyond all the doubt, is if your team aren't accomplished passers. Barcelona are brimming with players possessing the right qualities to play at a higher tempo whilst still playing a primarily short passing game.

*Playmaker - Shouldn't be set to Busquets. Of your midfield trio, it should be Xavi (MRC). With Busquets as your playmaker, the rest of your team will look to pass to him more, and this will increase the chance he'll be caught in possession, especially at a slow tempo.

*Wide men - In this case, you've got an inside forward (left) and winger (Right). At the very least, right side should be an inside forward, as the cutting inside wide play will leave more space for Dani Alves to exploit bursting forward on the right.

*If there is one thing I have learned with countless hours trying, it is simply impossible to replicate Tiki Taka. The match engine isn't flexible enough, and the tactics creator lacks the options, to be able to do it. It is possible to create an attractive possession tactic, though that may imitate on some level imitate Tiki Taka but that's the best we can do with the tools we have.

First of all you ask for advice and then you shoot down Echtelion when he says what he thinks - hardly likely to get people thinking that they want to help LOL. But since I'm such a nice guy, here are some things that may help (or not)

Well here is what Tactical Thereoms suggest as the 'Tiki Taka' style of football

View attachment 377227

Sorry it's Middlesbrough but that's who I always manage :p

Then you have these threads - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...re-than-club-emulating-barcas-philosophy.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ka-domination-extreme-4-3-2-1-passion4fm.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...manager-base-community-project-tiki-taka.html

Last edited: