Xeno85

Reaction score
Tried posting in the fm14 editor's forum, but no response as of yet.

I'm trying to make a custom league w/ 24 teams in 2 east-west conferences of 12. Each team plays home/away in the conference and once against all teams out of conference with the venue swapping year-to-year.

After the 34 games a position playoff? (I think that's what its called) is played between the 5th and 4th place team in each conference at the higher seeded teams venue w/ extra time/penalties. Winner qualifies for playoffs:

Playoffs are a group stage/knockout tournament, #1 & #4/5 East, #2 & #3 West in group A, #1 & #4/5 W, #2 & #3 E in group B. Group plays one round always at higher seed venue.

Then #1 grp A plays #2 grp B in a home/away semifinal, #1 grp B plays #2 grp A in other semi. Winners play a neutral site final w/ extra time/penalties to determine league champion.

I've spent around 10 hours in advanced editor trying to figure this out but I can't quite wrap my head around the mechanics of it. Also I can't get into the SI editor's hideaway site, so if anyone has a similar setup that I can look at to try and guide my hand it would be a great help

its not problem to make that kind of system. ask whatever you want

If I set the rounds to 1 in the child competitions then set up a league stage in the parent competition and set the rounds to 1 will the db automatically make the in-conference/division play at both home/away venues?

i never tried to make league with 2 groups and rounds as you like but you have that option under "group settings". its called "fixture plan rules". i never tried to use it but you can. first make only stage 0 with 24 teams and 2 groups. dont make playoffs. try that "fixture plan" option and test in game. of course you need to find the way to sort teams in 2 groups. you can use "sort teams" - "latitude/longitude" option or "group teams" option under group settings (never tried this option TBH).
When you set this we will go to playoffs

hmm.. there's a plan to play 6 non-conference team then a bunch of other specialized nation rules (like berger's table) which i'm not familiar. is the only way to do this creating all the non-conference games manually under "league fixtures"?

thanks for the help

my mistake. its new option added to editor 2015. i forgot you use fm14. i can add that option to editor 2014 so you can try it if you want. its "fixture plan rules" - not "group stage fixture plan" option. if you have editor 2015 you can see this option just under
"use sub league table" option.

EDIT: i tried this option on FM15 and its working. however on FM14 not working.

Last edited:
I caved and upgraded, the fm 15 editor is definitely improved. So I got the league set up the way I want but now I don't know how to create the 4th/5th place playoff in each group and then map the specific finishes into the correct group stage.

make stage 1 -group A playoff (make new stage names)
make stage 2 -group B playoff
in stage 0 make settings for group 1 and 2. in group 1 set qualification playes 4 and 5- qualify then to group A playoff. Same thing in group B but different playoff

I caved and upgraded, the fm 15 editor is definitely improved. So I got the league set up the way I want but now I don't know how to create the 4th/5th place playoff in each group and then map the specific finishes into the correct group stage.

You can set that in the qualification requirements, set up a single round that picks out the position from each league with the winner off the match going into stage 1

so to clarify under "qualification rules" if I set the league fate to qualified and then a top position of 4 and a bottom position of 5 and set the league stage index to the playoff group to which they go that means 4th and 5th play a game or that both 4 and 5 qualify for that stage?

it means they are qualified to that stage. after that make that stage and set everything

alright i got the system set up and am getting the following error message "Error setting up cup tree for Major League Soccer - Check the team numbers in the round settings." I've got the teams in division set to 24 #of groups set to 2 in both the League settings (all groups) and in each individual group set to 12 teams per group, not sure where issue is

dont use editor test at all. test file in game because its only way to be sure 100%

ran the simulation with my original setup, stage 0 was grouped league stage 1 was the combined league table (for supporter's shield purposes) then made stage 2 and 3 the wild card for each conference, setup qualification rules from the specific groups in stage 0, stage 4 and 5 were the two 4 team leagues and stage six was a 4 team cup. Regular season ran perfect, but then only one of the wild cards played (with correct teams) and it went to the right group, but once again only that one group played.

So I remade it keeping stage 0 and 1 and made stage 2 a 4 team one stage wild card cup, stage 3 a 2 group 4 team each league and then the cup in stage 4. File crashed when trying to make wild card fixture.

Not sure exactly which approach to go with. I looked at current MLS setup in advanced editor to see how they did the wild card but I don't see where in the rules it specifies that the western conference team winner goes into the western conference semi-final, which I feel is my problem with second try

Thanks for all the help btw I can't believe w/ how heavily modded the game is SI doesn't come out with a glossary about what each option means in the advanced editor above and beyond the dialogue boxes

upload your file and i will set everything. its very slow this way

stage 1 is league table for all 24 teams? used to qualify teams to some other competition?

also i see you implemented to many options in advanced rules :D
start with basic competition, try to sort everything about system and after that you can add that stage 1 or some other things.

Last edited: