ijoinedforfm

Reaction score
hi, i've been using man city in a 4-2-3-1 we're good at attacking but defending is not good enough for my standards
I conceded 57 goals throughout the season and hart only managed 22 clean sheets in 56 games

So, do you have any tips to help me make my team defend better?

View attachment 438496

I'm sure somebody else will be able to help you much more than I can. But a few pointers might be to get rid of the get stuck in instruction because you only have 2-3 defensive players, so if your players go sliding in, and fail to get the ball you will be seriously outnumbered.

Another change may be to make one of your WB a little more defensive(WB/FB auto) or make both of them attacking FB, just so that they offer more defensive cover.

You may also want to make both Toure and Fernandinho Box to Box mids as they at hard working and will then help both your defense and attack more.

These are just my suggestions and you obviously don't have to use any of them

Also, as you have a high defensive line you need fast CB. Hope it helps

I've found having both Hassle opponents + get stuck in to be suicide.
I switched to a stand off + stay of feet with a high line and I noticed immediately that they wern't cutting through me as often as before.

Don't be fooled by the "stay on feet" instruction, they will still tackle, but they make sure they have the space covered before they attempt to win the ball and since the entire team is making sure to have the space covered and defended, missed tackles aren't as dangerous as they used to be for me.

Having complete wing backs + wingers seems a bit redundant to me as you end up having all your wide players committing to attack and you'll be destroyed by a team playing wide.

I'd personally play both the CM's in defensive rolls focused on recycling possession since you've 3 men creating chances in front of them. It'll form a more cohesive link between attack and defense.

Thanks guys i've adjusted my formation a little bit and made some of my players more defensive and added/removed some instructions :)