zodiac619

Reaction score
I posted in wrong section, I would like some help with a tactic.
I have always created good tactics. In the past I used 4-1-3-2 down middle etc. Now nothing works, any ideas re with team I have.
I need to add screenshots, what is the best way to use them? layout etc as I have over 30 players

Yes please. My best players are arguably wilmott and Haynes. They play att r/l.

Read the link and provide the info needed to give you some advice.

Ok,

Thanks for your help with this matter and the link to the insightful guide.
I have been working on this:
I am Ebbsfleet in the Van south. Predicted to finish 1st and have a good side, because of this I want to control games.
I have opted for a formation 4 2 4 wide, control mentality, structured shape.
I played my first match against basingstoke 1-1 I had 2 highlights and appeared to get battered.
My issues are that I want to dominate possession in a slow build up tactic. my shots are 3 times less to the opposition.
I also want to have a strong defence.

Sorry if it is not in order. SS show my tactics as well as the players in the roles. Lastly my stat's against Basingstoke

Firstly, it would be a good idea to watch more than just Key Highlights if you're setting up a tactic. Otherwise you'll have no clue (as it is now) why it's going wrong. You saw 2 highlights of an entire match. How will you know what's wrong or what to fix?

A 4-2-4 is an attacking formation. It's not suited to possession football. It's spread out and top heavy, meaning short passes will drastically reduce passing options. You have massive gaps because your D-Line is dropping deeper as well, to add to the already spread out formation. To reduce passing options further, you don't want your players to play passes into space, so only play straight to feet.

Would be a good idea to watch if your players have passing options and are doing what you told them. Also worth watching the shots and the quality of these chances.

You can control the game with any mentality, apart from Contain and Overload, obviously. You can have a possession system also with basically any mentality. Probably a good idea to read this to get an idea about possession football. The idea isn't to copy the tactic though, but to understand the concepts : The Art of Possession Football

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
With the players I have and the style I want to play what formation would you suggest? I don't really like one up front.

Thanks for your help.
With the players I have and the style I want to play what formation would you suggest? I don't really like one up front.
If you're going to persist with an attacking formation, at the very least it would be an idea to have a mentality that doesn't take so many risks. Otherwise you're just simply going to give the ball away time and time again because your players are attacking while you're forcing a slower game, so they end up running away from the ball.

If you don't like 1 up front, play with 2 up front? I don't know the players you have, apart from the ones you've shown so I can't tell you what to do.

Thanks for your help.
I read the guides and took on board all the info
I have now created a great tactic.
I have just lost my first game

It's not a great tactic if you lost. It's (again) a 4-2-4 and even more attacking than the last one, since you now only have 2 defenders. I though you wanted a strong defence, according to your OP? Most (all?) teams in the world use 3 or 4 or 5. You didn't use the guides to create this. Your midfield also has both on Support. No guide will tell you to do that.

You have FOURTEEN instructions! There's no way you know what they all do or how specifically they will affect your tactic. Start simple (maybe even with no instructions) and add if you see something is needed.

Just use a default, 'normal' formation and keep it simple at first.

I did want a strong defence. What I found was no matter what space was opening up. I looked at the pairs and messed about with CB's. I used FB to break up amount of space. With instructions I would add one at a time. I got to 5th round of FA cup and won FA Trophy. Which mid do you suggest is support and which Def?

Just use a default, 'normal' formation (with your own roles etc obviously) and keep it simple at first.

Using the guide you suggested WJ with Northwich Vic and the defence is solid conceded just 25 in 42 but scoring is an issue only 34 in 42 is there anyway I can change and keen defence solid but score a few more?

Using the guide you suggested WJ with Northwich Vic and the defence is solid conceded just 25 in 42 but scoring is an issue only 34 in 42 is there anyway I can change and keen defence solid but score a few more?
Read the rest of the link I posted. The whole point of the sticky thread is to eliminate guesswork.