mitch41

Reaction score
Hi all, i need some help with my game. I've played Football/Championship Manager for a few years but have never taken it seriously until now. I started as Fiorentina and spent a good hour trying to use the best formation, and positions for players, but yet i'm still getting beat a lot.

My current formation is 4-2-3-1.

I'm currently 9th - P14 W6 D1 L7 F16 A16.

Not sure how to insert screenshots as i am a complete noob to this forum :S

Feel free to ask some questions that I can answer so hopefully you can help me!

Thanks

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum

well they're 11th IRL at the moment so you're doing alright...

lone striker formation should be good for Gilardino or Babacar, but maybe you can give more details about current players and tactics?

tell me your team i am currently first in my game with fiorentina maybe i can help

Current first team:
GK - Boruc - Sweeper Keeper - Support
DL - Pasqual - Full Back - Attack
DCL - Felipe - Central Defender - Stopper
DCR - Gamberini - Central Defender - Cover
DR - De Silvestri - Full Back - Support
MCL - Donadel - DLP - Support
MCR - Montolivio - Box To Box - Support
AML - Vargas - Winger - Attack
AMC - D'Agostino - Attacking Midfielder - Support (Had as Trequartista previously)
AMR - Cerci - Winger - Attack
ST - Gilardino - Advanced Forward - Attack (Had as Poacher previously)

Bought Fabio and Dossena but they can't come in until 2011. Bought a couple of youth players too.
Jovetic is currently injured and Mutu is on his global ban.

Tactic wise i did have Philosophy - Fluid which ive since changed to Rigid, and everything else Standard/Attacking and Default.

I realise everything being on Default is where the problem may lie, however im not sure what to chance and what attributes help certain situations, or where to find certain orders such as getting the wingers to switch inside etc.

Cheers for your replies so far.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

P.S kandersson, love the San Marino Challenge as well, just been reading the thread!

First I suggest you take a look at this thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f103/a-guide-to-formations-and-tactics-in-fm-t57437.html

It's a good general guide and you may want to check the 4-2-3-1 section in particular.

Personally in a 4-2-3-1 I like both CMs to have good defending stats (marking, tackling and also aggression and workrate) to keep the team balanced as you have 4 very attacking-minded players. So I don't like Montolivo at CM in a 4-2-3-1 (I would in a 4-3-3), though he could do at AMC if retrained (better than D'Agostino who's simply too slow).

Apart form this, I think you could change a couple of roles in your formation: the DL on support, while DR on attack with left-footed Cerci inside forward at AMR. Donadel def not a playmaker (you can use him as the ball winning CM), with Zanetti or Bolatti as the other CM. Maybe look for a better AMR/inside forward if you have some money to spend.

Also, remember that youngsters Agyei and Babacar will develop into world class players if properly trained/tutored so keep an eye on them.

Hope it helped a bit.

PS thanks, San Marino rulez (H)

Last edited:
ok from my experience with fiorentina is that one of the most effective tactics in Italy is Mr houghs 4-1-2-3
tactic i have beaten the top teams using this tactic. I have also bought in Sanogo as a youth. up front i have Sanogo starting with Gilardino and Hulk who i signed
Hulk is a great player to sign his stats for me are
23apps-21goals-9-asts-7Mom-7.81Av R
As for youths fiorentina has an excellent youth players already which i would suggest holding on too.

Kandersson, thanks i've changed all that, just need to see how it goes. I've had the 2 CM's in the oppositions half as thats how the formation was set out when i started, but the Assistant Manager has suggested theres too much space between Defence and Midfield, so would you drop them into your own half if you have the likes of Zanetti/Donadel who both have good stats for defending?

Would you suggest playing in a high defence if i have the keeper as a sweeper? He has the stats to pull it off, although im not sure if this works if you use a stopper/cover combo?

KevNaylor who do you have as your 1? I've noticed theres a lot of good youth so ive let no one go yet.
There some good stats for Hulk so i'll have to have a look at signing him.

My main problem seems to be too many MC and im not sure who is the best. I'm trying to retrain a couple as AMC's.

Kandersson, thanks i've changed all that, just need to see how it goes. I've had the 2 CM's in the oppositions half as thats how the formation was set out when i started, but the Assistant Manager has suggested theres too much space between Defence and Midfield, so would you drop them into your own half if you have the likes of Zanetti/Donadel who both have good stats for defending?

Would you suggest playing in a high defence if i have the keeper as a sweeper? He has the stats to pull it off, although im not sure if this works if you use a stopper/cover combo?

KevNaylor who do you have as your 1? I've noticed theres a lot of good youth so ive let no one go yet.
There some good stats for Hulk so i'll have to have a look at signing him.

My main problem seems to be too many MC and im not sure who is the best. I'm trying to retrain a couple as AMC's.

IMO if you find the right balance of team/individual mentality & closing down there's no need to drop your CMs back to DMC. Tweaking individual settings is often more effective than changing players' positions.

High defence is good if you have pacey centre-backs and a quick sweeper-keeper as well, are you sure Boruc & your defenders are good fits?

IMO if you find the right balance of team/individual mentality & closing down there's no need to drop your CMs back to DMC. Tweaking individual settings is often more effective than changing players' positions.

High defence is good if you have pacey centre-backs and a quick sweeper-keeper as well, are you sure Boruc & your defenders are good fits?

Yeh i think i just need to trial and error all the settings i currently have as default.

Stats wise it all seems to fit, and Boruc does well at coming out and blocking shots. Both my CB's have about a 14/15 average for pace/acceleration etc, most of my goals conceded seem to be from set plays or 25 yard screamers.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

First game since your suggestions Kandersson and I beat Calgiari 2-0. Not the best team anyway but we managed to create plenty more chances, and I actually felt comfortable watching them play. Went down to 10 men however, my 3rd straight red of the season, which is probably down to my high line/sweeper keeper combo, so some feedback for that for you.
Thanks for helping!

Don't bother wasting your money on hulk, use the lone striker and you have a great 1 + babacar who'll be one of the best complete forwards in the world in the future.

I'd suggest downloading a tactic since it's quite hard to make a consistent one in this FM. Koflok's goals galore would be best, since it uses 1 striker. I've been using that for 3-4 seasons, get a ton of goals and alot of clean sheets even though people say otherwise. In my recent season (with lyon) i've conceded 10 in 30 games.

Or other than that, you could try Onox total football. Though that has no wide players so it'll limit jovetic/llajic etc. And instead you can use Mutu upfront with gilardino when he's back.

Don't bother wasting your money on hulk, use the lone striker and you have a great 1 + babacar who'll be one of the best complete forwards in the world in the future.

I'd suggest downloading a tactic since it's quite hard to make a consistent one in this FM. Koflok's goals galore would be best, since it uses 1 striker. I've been using that for 3-4 seasons, get a ton of goals and alot of clean sheets even though people say otherwise. In my recent season (with lyon) i've conceded 10 in 30 games.

Or other than that, you could try Onox total football. Though that has no wide players so it'll limit jovetic/llajic etc. And instead you can use Mutu upfront with gilardino when he's back.

Cheers for that Danyul, i tried downloading a tactic yesterday which hasnt worked. I put it into where all the pre made tactics are as thats the only folder which is called tactics. Any ideas?

Cheers for that Danyul, i tried downloading a tactic yesterday which hasnt worked. I put it into where all the pre made tactics are as thats the only folder which is called tactics. Any ideas?
I assume you imported it from "archive" on the tactics screen? And you're sure it was a FM 2011 tactic? Other than that no ideas, never had that problem before :S

I assume you imported it from "archive" on the tactics screen? And you're sure it was a FM 2011 tactic? Other than that no ideas, never had that problem before :S

Well i followed the sticky thats on the tactics bit on here and did it to how i thought it should be. But it just went to my downloads then i put it into the tactics folder which has all the pre-loaded ones. I'll have another try.
Cheers

I've recently started a Fiorentina and have based my team on a 4-4-2 with a diamond then you can utilise the large amounts of DM's you have and AMC's (although I decided to buy Simon Vukcevic)

Haven't really messed around with the player roles much either if you want to give that a quick go

Currently 2nd in the league after 29 games

W17 D9 L3