Help with formations/opponent instructions/match analysis!

rookiemanager

Reaction score
Im new to the game (if i sound not knowing the game/or having a basic understanding of tactics, then im sorry). I read about being tactically consistant. So to those fm11 experts out there, how do you approach/how would you approach a game? There are 3 slots for tactics. I read on the forums to keep mentality etc all the same, thats fair enough. What im asking is though, do you always start with the same formation and change it during a match depending on who scores/gets sent off or do you look at pre-match odds and set one of your other tactics according to the match odds (eg if you are 10-1 odds to win do you have a more defensive formation) and leave it to this formation? If you suggest keep changing the formation depending on the match, but you get someone(s) playing out of position then what do you do? Is there a right answer to this or does it just mean, if you expected to lose, play a more defensive strategy?
Also what to do on opponent instructions/match analysis? How often to check it for a start, every 15 minutes? What if opponent player cross/pass/header completion is high? Mark tightly, close down, weaker foot or what? This also frustrates me, not knowing how to take advantage of this tool. The only thing i do is tackling hard on opp players with 9 or lower bravery, medium on players with 10-14 bravery and 15-20 is easy tackling. To me this analyst tool is linked with opponent instruction?
With all these questions i have asked, what tactically changes can i do without lowering my tacticlly fluid ratings? Can i change my d-line every match and what else can i change? Just fed up of losing or drawing matches. My tactics are good, with regards to using players strengths ie i worked out every players best role and duty (by adding all the highlighted attributes scores and dividing by the actual number of highlighted attributes).
Its just the formation question (pre-set via odds and stick to it or change it throughout match or do both), how to use the analyst tool and implement it to the opp instrctions and how often to check the analyst tool. Sorry if im not good at these things.

Well, the thing I love about fm is how it everybody plays it their own way.

That being said, I'd advise you to experiment like ****, there's really no other way of learning. What I usually do is have at least two equal formations with different instruction. One will be more aggressive, with high pressing and defensive line, always playing on the players strength rather than an idea of a way you want your team to play. This will be the formation you'll use to start all games, as I find it best to have a consolidated style of play, rather than changing it depending on the opposition.

The other formation will be exactly the same, but won't have high pressing nor high def line, will be a slower type of play, even giving up possession to play on the counter sometimes. If you're ahead by half time, that's a good time to change.

However I find if you play enough with two tactics, you'll easily know when to change, and you'll be constantly throwing your adversary out of balance, as they will not know what to expect from your team.

For OI I'll adise a good assistant manager and let him do it, although I'll only use OI in the big games.

I managed 100 points on the premiership playing like this, however, I had been hired for Man city, so not really much of a challenge. (Besides sorting out the squad in my first year, god, what a mess city becomes later in the game)

Im managing 'Mile Oak' as they are the poorest in England. So you are saying to leave the OI most often. Thing is i cant get a good number 2 coz of the club i am so i best leave it.Though i wonder if its good to leave it as in 2nd half etc i seem to play worse/concede more.