Help with improving my tactic - 4312 Leeds

wicksy360

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Apologies this is the first thread i have made so any mistakes, or anything missing please ask and i will provide.

So, the topic of this thread is to request help with improving my tactic, which i have been using with several teams, with great success.

My tactic is a 4312, see picture for reference.
View attachment 114493

I have been very successful with this tactic, winning the championship with a record points tally (on the final day woo!) And then finished third in my first premier league season.

This is going to sound really over-ambitious, seeing as my tactic has been extremely successful for me. But i would like some help with improving it, as there is always improvements that can be made. Firstly, this tactic seems to hit a lot of long shots. See my below win against Watford. Undoubtedly a good win, but a lot of long shots. I will attach a save of the game too, as i understand people will want to see why, but players usually have an option to pass, and dont have long shot ppm, but still shoot. So wondered if people could help me reduce these.
View attachment 114492

Secondly, during my first premier league season, i conceded a lot of goals. I can understand that my defense was rocky due to not having a huge amount to spend, but partly my tactic must have some possible improvements. Also, i can live with conceding a few goals from crosses, as i choose to play a narrow formation.

This tactic is also working very well in lower league for my Hereford team.

View attachment 114479 View attachment 114479

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

View attachment 114486 View attachment 114485

Last edited:
I use the same tactic with charlton in the prem. to cut out long shots I choose shoot less often on all players except my 2 strikers, and in training I get every midfielder and striker to try develop a trait of refraining from log shots whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using very similar tactic. On first view I see only one different in strikers. In my opinion is very strange your position in first season in premier league. I think You should similar problem with defendars like me and lost many goals from crosses. How do you eliminate it ? I wrote my problem here:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...somebody-help-improve-tactic.html#post3055006

What roles do you use for each position? And what about PIs? I find my full backs defend crosses pretty well, and my BWMs come across too to help the flanks at time. Plus the defensive playmaker can cover when the attacking defender pushes up, the other full back is more defensive. Do not make them both attacking or you will leave spaces