chmo

Reaction score
im liverpool in season 14/15,up until this season i used 4231 for 5 seasons and won league 3 times,champions league 2,league cup 1 and fa cup 1

but this season i changed 2 442 but just cant get consistancy,my team is

GK - adler
RB - johnson - auto
LB - criscito - auto
CB - chielini - def
CB - sakho - cover
CM - Moussa sissoko - ball winning mid/def
CM - ramsey - advanced playmaker/sup
RM - gourcuff - winger/att
LM - david silva - winger/att
ST - Aguero - targer man or deep lying forward/sup
ST - torres - poacher or advanced forward/att

i tend 2 play,controlled fluid with short passing,more expressive,press more,more roaming
with normal width and tempo

at 1st started really well,won 8 in a row with conceding,won a few 4-0 and 5-0,strikers banging goals in and defence playing well,but all of a sudden i cant score and conceeding loads,dropped 2 3rd in table,10 points off top.

ive tried changing things like playing more direct if i want 2 att or narrower,slower tempo to build up play,but im losing games 3-0 and 4-0,evenin against lower sides

any1 knw a good 442 tactic that dominates without me havin 2 download tactics cos for some reason i cant open any files

thanks

Gerrard Playmaker, Torres Target Man run on to ball...

Or, get the ball to Torres

As Nuno mentioned, it will take some time to get used to, why not revert back to your original? I am having the same thing with the West Ham team I am managing currently, its taken a while to start playing some decent football :) just try and be patient and you can always arrange reserve games and control them and test out new tactics without arranging friendlies for your 1st team etc ;) try that​

I see that you were having trouble with downloading files,if you got sorted try mr houghs winger tactic.its a 442 with wingers and is really suited to a top team mate.If you have any questions pm me and ill be glad to help in any way that i can... :)

I think the issue with 4-4-2 is the balance, not just of the instructions you give but the players you play in it. Many see the holding midfielder + attacking midfielder and deep striker + advanced striker and think thats all there is to it, I think thats been my problem.

If you were to play a purely attacking attributed player in MC (really a AMC player in a 4-2-3-1 deep+wide) you need more defensive minded and attributed players on the outside (at least one if not both sides), so really a 4-3-3 type of formation when you have the ball.

If you want pure wingers on the outside then you really need two defensively strong players in the middle, I think in the traditional english 4-4-2 the "attacking" MC is really a Box-to-Box type player such as Gerrard, who has the physical attributes to get forward and back all game, plus the willingness, then when he is back can get stuck in and win a tackle.

Compare it to the 4-2-3-1 where you have your 4 defenders and two DMC, thats 6 (hopefully) good defenders with 4 attacking players. With the ball you have 3 defensive players (2DC + DM), 3 to 5 support (DMC, FB, FB) and 2 to 4 attackers (AML, AMR, AMC, ST). Defensively you have the 6 good defensive players with the wingers just having to track the FBs if they come forward so have that coverage. Then to get that same balance in a 4-4-2 you want your 4 defenders + 2 solid defensively midfielders, and the best place to have them is in the middle where the most danager of a CCC/goal is from. This is especially true when you consider how many teams play 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3/4-5-1 formations where you have 3 opposition central midfielders to deal with (be they whatever combination of AMC, DMC, and MCs) so want one if not both strikers to drop back to hassle any DMC's in those formations.

Last edited: