Meerkat_Arshavin

Simples!
Reaction score
I have just started a game in the MLS since I have never played there.
I don't understand anything about it and I was wandering if anyone can help to understand what are things like drafts and slots and all these other things that no other country has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

The opening bit of this is a good start, read down till the history starts. As for the draft system, it works like this:

1. The best talent every year at college level is invited to join the draft
2. There is a "Combine", which gives the teams a chance to scout the players on offer
3. When the Draft happens, the teams take turns to pick a young player that they want (think of the way footie was at primary school w/ captains picking) - this goes in reverse order, ie the worst team from the previous season chooses first etc.

That clear enough? :)

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

As for the "designated player" contracts (from wiki):

Since 2007, Major League Soccer's leadership has taken steps to further internationalize the league in an effort to raise the level of play. Among the first moves in this regard was the Designated Player Rule, which helped MLS bring international stars into the league, despite the relatively meager MLS salary cap, and the creation of the SuperLiga, which places top MLS clubs against top Mexican clubs in an effort to provide more meaningful competition for both leagues. MLS changed the rules regarding foreign players in the league to allow a total of 8 per team.[2] This period also saw expansion reach beyond the United States' borders into Canada, beginning with Toronto FC.
The 2007 season witnessed the MLS debut of David Beckham, whose signing had been seen as a coup for American soccer. Beckham's contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy was made possible by the Designated Player Rule. Players such as Cuauhtémoc Blanco of Club América signed for the Chicago Fire, and Juan Pablo Ángel, who moved from Aston Villa to the New York Red Bulls, are some of the first Designated Players who have made major contributions to their clubs.
The departures of Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore, coupled with the return of former U.S. national team stars Claudio Reyna and Brian McBride to New York and Chicago, respectively, highlight the exchange of top prospects to Europe for experienced veterans to MLS. Several other well-known foreign players have followed Beckham and Blanco to MLS, including Guillermo Barros Schelotto to Columbus and Freddie Ljungberg to Seattle.[3]

Basically, you are allowed one designated player, that can be paid any wage. Make sure that they are a key part of your side, otherwise it's a waste. Goalkeepers or centre midfielders make a huge difference in the MLS.

thanks for your help
pretty much the best help I could get
a liuy (look it up yourself) help