curtis290

Reaction score
Hi, I didn't post this in the 'what tactic suits my team' thread because I'm not asking for someone to give me advice on what tactic I should use, I already have it picked out, I just want help tweaking it.

Anyways, I am Independiente in January 2010 (in between 19 game seasons). I have the same squad they start out with plus Matias Defederico, who I just signed and am retraining to be an AMC. Anyways, I want to use a X-mas tree formation that looks something like this

ST - target man attack
usually Andres Silvera, sometimes Facundo Parra, Martin Gomez, or maybe this guy named Ariel Carreno I think that I just got on free transfer, maybe Brian Nieva

AMC AMC - advanced playmakers, attack (that fits my AMC's well, although I haven't check out Defederico to see what AMC role is better for him, attacking mid vs. playmaker, support vs. attack)
Gracian, Defederico, Rodriguez, Martinez

LM (support), CM (ball-winner support), RM (support)
Mancuello as LM, though Mareque, Maxi Velazquez, and even Fredes and Busse can fill in there, CM will be Battion/Godoy/Pellerano, RM will be Cabrera, with Fredes, Busse, and Godoy as back-ups. I changed the 'long shots' of the wide midfielders (under advanced sliders) to rarely.

normal back four, full backs, one CD on cover another on stopper
Mareque will be the usually LB, and he will be set on 'attack' and run from deep and run from ball will be checked and moved towards often (sliders on advanced), if he isn't in, it will be on automatic and normal settings. Galeano/J. Velazquez will be the CD on cover, Matheu/Tuzzio will be the CD on stopper, and Tuzzio will usually be the RB, and Valles will be the backup.

Gabbarini/Navarro/Assman will be the GK.

Philosophy is on fluid, starting strategy is on control, creative freedom on more expressive. Width is on narrow, passing is on 'through the middle.' I checked target man and selected my striker.

What else should I do though? I used a X-mas tree tactic for a long time in FM10 and it worked great without tinkering with the advanced sliders, but I didn't have wide midfielders, I had 3 CM's. That's not an option because of how the players I have here.

It's actually the same formation Independiente used a lot from 09-10, but I don't really know how to translate it well into FM, not to mention I didn't get to watch them nearly as much as I would've liked (it's hard when you're in a different country).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first save on FM11 and I just finished the Apertura (opening stage) in 12th place, and my job is on the line.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 08:18 PM ----------

Come on, anyone?

Should I set the wide midfielders on attack? Set the advanced playmakers on support? Change them to attack mids? Put the target forward up top on support? Uncheck the target man box? I really don't want to get fired...my teamtalks are fine, btw, I use woifsong's guide.

maybe setting one AMC to support the other on attack
having a box to box midfielder to balance out the midfield, putting him behind the attacking AMC
setting the passing of defenders and goalkeeper to short and reducing their creativity freedom as well as the CMs and targetman, so only ur AMC have much creativity
maybe that could help

i don't know how Independiente plays in real life tho
so i hope my tips don't change ur emulation plans

OK, I've attached it. Thanks so much!

TBH I don't really know how to put their tactic in the game, not to mention it's been a little while since I've seen them play with it. Also, I'm more concerned with hanging onto my job right now that realism so I could lose it at any match.

I actually just checked 'long shots' of the wide midfielders to sometimes, not rarely.

My only question with your suggestion would be who would I play as AMC advanced playmaker support vs. attack? I think all of my attacking mids are better as attack. Anyways, tweak it to your liking, hopefully I can keep my job. :)

OK, I've attached it. Thanks so much!

TBH I don't really know how to put their tactic in the game, not to mention it's been a little while since I've seen them play with it. Also, I'm more concerned with hanging onto my job right now that realism so I could lose it at any match.

I actually just checked 'long shots' of the wide midfielders to sometimes, not rarely.

My only question with your suggestion would be who would I play as AMC advanced playmaker support vs. attack? I think all of my attacking mids are better as attack. Anyways, tweak it to your liking, hopefully I can keep my job. :)

i'll try my best
i never seen it played like this tho
i thought u used 3 normal mids
but i like a challenge heeh

i'll try my best
i never seen it played like this tho
i thought u used 3 normal mids
but i like a challenge heeh

Thanks! Yeah me too, the last time I used 3 CM's, two on central midfielder attack, the middle one on ball-winner defend.

Check this out: http://www.megavideo.com/v/8U1FVF1L3065d29ff97fe85489faabc9a2e0d3fd

It's a match from last season where they used this formation. It's streaming though so you don't have to download anything, you can just watch it for a few minutes to get a feel for how they play.

Thanks again and good luck.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Upon watching the game again you might want to skip through the first half hour, it's ugly and neither team settles down to a rhythm until after that.

Last edited:
i tried with the 4 3 2 1 wide but it really ain't working well
the opposition easily gets infront of the 16 yard box so i switched it to a 4 1 4 1 and it worked well
i finished 5th in the opening stage
and silvera really frustrated me, could score a goal in over 400 minutes
u indepediente could use a new left back, a striker and a box to box midfielder like Mobi okoli

here are some tactics i prepared
the try4 was teh most succesfull tactics for me finished 5th in opening stage
u try all of them and hopefulyl one can help u

Hi, thanks so much for the help! The tactics look great.

There's a new development though...I'm on the verge of signing Pastore. With Pastore, Defederico, Rodriguez, and Martinez, I pretty much have to play with a two AMC formation...do you have any ideas? Maybe play a 4-1-4-1 like try 4, except with the two CM's as ACM's?

Hi, thanks so much for the help! The tactics look great.

There's a new development though...I'm on the verge of signing Pastore. With Pastore, Defederico, Rodriguez, and Martinez, I pretty much have to play with a two AMC formation...do you have any ideas? Maybe play a 4-1-4-1 like try 4, except with the two CM's as ACM's?

awesome signing, maybe u can play defederico as striker pastore as amc or a mc advance playmaker
or a 4 1 3 1 1

awesome signing, maybe u can play defederico as striker pastore as amc or a mc advance playmaker
or a 4 1 3 1 1

Would that work? Could Defederico play as a lone striker?

My other option would be to go to a diamond 4-4-2, have Defederico play as a support striker (deep lying forward), Pastore as the playmaker, and Silvera as the target man. The only problem is I played with that formation in the opening stage and it didn't work out too well.

Would that work? Could Defederico play as a lone striker?

My other option would be to go to a diamond 4-4-2, have Defederico play as a support striker (deep lying forward), Pastore as the playmaker, and Silvera as the target man. The only problem is I played with that formation in the opening stage and it didn't work out too well.

yeah he could play a lone striker
i don't play with a target man at all and try to eliminate crossing cuz its a waste of possesion when u compare it to through balls in my opinion

well try like that but i think a diamond works well when u play conter

yeah he could play a lone striker
i don't play with a target man at all and try to eliminate crossing cuz its a waste of possesion when u compare it to through balls in my opinion

well try like that but i think a diamond works well when u play conter

When you say no target man, BTW, are you referring to the box you can check (as in set playmaker and set target man), or the player role? I was referring to the player role...I don't check the set target man as box because of the problems crossing.

As for the diamond, yeah, that may have been my problem, usually I put philosophy as very fluid and starting strategy as attacking...maybe I should make it fluid and control? Any other advice on the diamond? It's the classic Argentine formation and want to play it like they do, but am not sure exactly how to translate it into the game other than having the starting strategy as fluid or very fluid and creative freedom on more expressive. I'm surprised no one has made a tactic of it here...I have seen a few 4-4-2 diamond tactics but they're always with two CM's instead of wide midfielders.

Edit: also, one of my main problems in the Apertura (opening stage) was poor away form (although I beat two very good teams on the road)...any suggestions on how I should change my home/away tactics?

Last edited: