hughsi

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a new tactic with a 5-2-1-2 formation but I'm having some trouble getting results. I was wondering if anybody has any advice?

At the moment I'm using;

GK: Goalkeeper (Defend)
CBR: Centre-Back (Defend)
CB: Centre-Back (Cover)
CBL: Centre-Back (Defend)
WBR: Wing-Back (Attack)
WBL: Wing-Back (Attack)
MCR: Ball-Winning Midfielder (Defend)
MCL: Box-To-Box Midfielder (Support)
AMC: Trequartista (Attack)
STCR: Target-Man (Support)
STCL: Poacher (Attack)

My team instructions are set to balanced and control, and I play very direct, high tempo football with counter attacking ticked and offside unticked.

My AMC is set to playmaker and my STCR is set to target-man (mixed).

I'm also experimenting with playing my middle centre-back in the sweeper position as a Libeiro at the moment so if anyone has any experience of doing that it would be great.

I'm playing as Man City so quality of players isn't an issue but I don't really seem to be playing that well. Just very mediocre defensively and going forward.

Any suggestions of how to tighten up the defence (especially the flanks) or start scoring a bit more freely would be greatly appreciated.

I'd consider changing the Centre Back (cover) to Ball Playing Defender Cover, change the CM's to BWM (support) and DLP (support) and the Wing Backs to Support, and finally don't play with both Playmaker and Target Man, play with one or another, I'd think about having Attacking Midfielder and Strikerforce of Trequartista and Poacher (play your trequartista as Playmaker.

Finally change the style to Rigid and I think that should give you a more balanced tactic.

Let me know how it goes... QUOTE ME so I can check easily.

Good Luck

I'd consider changing the Centre Back (cover) to Ball Playing Defender Cover, change the CM's to BWM (support) and DLP (support) and the Wing Backs to Support, and finally don't play with both Playmaker and Target Man, play with one or another, I'd think about having Attacking Midfielder and Strikerforce of Trequartista and Poacher (play your trequartista as Playmaker.

Finally change the style to Rigid and I think that should give you a more balanced tactic.

Let me know how it goes... QUOTE ME so I can check easily.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

I switched the CB to a BPD and switched the WB's to Support. I kept the BBM but switched the BWM to Support. I also switched the AMC to an Advanced Playmaker. I then set playmaker to none.

I changed the style to Rigid.

It's worked pretty nicely, scoring on average 2 a game and hardly conceding. Only glitch is still having quite a few draws but I'm sure I'll get rid of those.

I'm also experimenting on having a Libeiro (Attack) instead of a BPD, so I'll let you know how it goes. I kept the Target-Man because I want a Little and Large strikeforce but I'm gonna try it out have a Trequartista and Poacher with an Attacking Midfielder behind them like you suggested as cover for injuries.

Thanks for your help, I don't think I'd have ever got this tactic working as well as it is now without you :). Let me know if you have more ideas.

Thanks for the reply.

I switched the CB to a BPD and switched the WB's to Support. I kept the BBM but switched the BWM to Support. I also switched the AMC to an Advanced Playmaker. I then set playmaker to none.

I changed the style to Rigid.

It's worked pretty nicely, scoring on average 2 a game and hardly conceding. Only glitch is still having quite a few draws but I'm sure I'll get rid of those.

I'm also experimenting on having a Libeiro (Attack) instead of a BPD, so I'll let you know how it goes. I kept the Target-Man because I want a Little and Large strikeforce but I'm gonna try it out have a Trequartista and Poacher with an Attacking Midfielder behind them like you suggested as cover for injuries.

Thanks for your help, I don't think I'd have ever got this tactic working as well as it is now without you :). Let me know if you have more ideas.

Sounding good, Rigid always works better for a direct / counter styled tactic, I've always found it hard to get the right libero, its a rare breed. I like the little and large combo but my target men always have good creativity and decisions because I like a complete forward as they play the trequartista role perfectly but each to there own lol.

Regarding the draws, are they games you should be easily winning? if so I recommend changing the tactic slightly for those games and i recommend different styles for home and away to fully capitalise on the opportunity to score goals.