Help with the most possible PRESSING formation possible..

etipac

Reaction score
I would like some help to make up the most possible pressing formation. Anyone can give me a hand please.

I use the following for now and play 4 1 2 2 1 Overload V Fluid

PUSH HIGHER UP
CLOSE DOWN MUCH MORE
PREVENT SHORT GK DIST.

Thanks
Etienne

You've not really given much information at all so don't expect any great replies...

I would like some help to make up the most possible pressing formation. Anyone can give me a hand please.

I use the following for now and play 4 1 2 2 1 Overload V Fluid

PUSH HIGHER UP
CLOSE DOWN MUCH MORE
PREVENT SHORT GK DIST.

Thanks
Etienne

You forgot to tell where do you want your team to be most pressing.
Why do you use push higher up if the Overload already does that ???

The best pressing formations are the ones with the most midfield coverage. so 3 at the back with many midfielders is pretty good

if you want to push higher up you have to play anchor man so he will take care your back

So I try to give as much info as possible and if I miss anything pls ask.

So my aim is to create an OVERLOAD 4 3 3 formation which defends v high and does use the offside trap and PRESSES almost all the time with all the players apart from the 2centre defenders and the GK.

I am not looking for a formation that doesn t conceed goals but 1 which creates a **** of chances and aim always to make a goal more than the other team.

Hope it helps

Things I will not change as they are the things I love and beleive in are these---

-OFFSIDE TRAP ON
-4 3 3 but doesn t matter if they play with inside forwards or 3 attackers up, midfielders can play on the same line or not too as the important is that I keep 3 in the middle of the pitch.
-PRESS as much as possible and with almost all the players if not all.
-Play as high as possible in order for my team to press more compact and for the team to be not stretched.

Etienne

Question is if I play 4 3 3 and offside trap, high position team and overload how can I get and how would you set the team pls in order to be the most compact and mostly press ALL THE TIME.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
I think this all depends on what team you are managing, the players you have (have they got the stamina to close down much more ALL the time?). In my experience, managing a mid-table team, trying to have too much of anything usually ends in disaster. While it may seem tempting to play as aggressively as possible, it just doesn't work if you don't have the right team or players.

So, what team are you managing, and did you get positive results when using these über-aggressive instructions?

One thing you would likely want to add is the team instruction to play narrower. That'll help keep things compact

I usually end up writing essays whenever I talk about this kind of stuff so I'll try keep it as short as possible:

Pep Guardiola insists that his players play at least 15 passes when they win the ball so that his players will be close together (short pass = short distance between players) should they lose the ball in addition to the obvious benefit of moving the opposition out of position. Therefore, your style of attacking play can also influence how you defend. In this case, short passing will have a similar effect as playing narrower will, without perhaps causing attacking impotency.

If you want me to give a more detailed explanation just let me know.