chicubie23

Reaction score
Team: Almeria , Season 4, LIGA BBVA

So my issue is that youth intake has gotten me absolutely nothing of quality. I have only gotten one player that is even being considered being a rotation option at this point. I invested a lot of money into scouting and I have gotten lucky on finding cheap, solid young players out of Peru, Argentina, and Brazil. My youth coaches are excellent and I have invested a lot of my budget into coaching as well. My head of Youth Development is also very strong. Please also note that I am in the champions league this season after finishing third in the previous season. The board NEVER lets me pick a feeder club and when they do, either the club I choose says no, or they cant find a club. I also have a question on feeder clubs but I will get to that later. As for training and developing, I have no issue with that. I know how to train, Loan, and develop players nicely.

I have: Good training facilities, Good youth facilities, above average youth recruitment, average youth coaching

What do I need to do to improve my youth in take?
How do I get my youth recruitment up?
How do I find a good feeder club?
What feeder club option do I pick to be able to get regens out of that country?

I will probably have more questions once I think of them :)

Quick question:

- What are uour expectations of the players coming through ?- Id it that some of them should be able to match your former reputation ( i.e at the start of the save) and being rotation players there, or is it that you want them to match your current rep ?
My point here is that a rotation player of a Spanish top team playing in the CL is a pretty good one.

- When looking at these players, are you fully trusting your coaches or do you look at their stats yourself and the report about their mental stats etc ? My point here is that the coaches dont knwo how to form and develop a player. IN my saves, I have had players that my team did not recommend me to sign fr the first team but as I my sel saw their potential, some of them has turned out to be worth over 10m and getting caps for England.

Last edited:
First, I would expect the first two seasons of regens to end up being rotation options at this point. That would be realistic. My team on paper isn't very good and some how we greatly overachieved in the previous season. However, I fully expected last years regens to start becoming better. There was NOTHING. Each player had nothing to give to the future of the team

When I look at each player, yes I do look at the stats. If they have high mental skills such as determination, I keep them. However, these players have nothing to offer, even mentally.

First, I would expect the first two seasons of regens to end up being rotation options at this point. That would be realistic. My team on paper isn't very good and some how we greatly overachieved in the previous season. However, I fully expected last years regens to start becoming better. There was NOTHING. Each player had nothing to give to the future of the team

When I look at each player, yes I do look at the stats. If they have high mental skills such as determination, I keep them. However, these players have nothing to offer, even mentally.

Then I would just keep on asking the board to updrage everything that has to do with the youth recruting network.
I my saves though, I dont focus that much on that "local" players that are brought into my U-18 although I have had some that mentioedn above, have turned into really good teamplayers.

Now, if looking at the big teams in England ( yes, I know you are playing in Spain), very, very few of them have had players coming throuh their youthrank to be lifted into the first team. Look at Arsenal, not many of their youthplayers NOW being in the first team are from the U-18. Not in UTd, CIty, Tottenham, Chelsea, Pool etc. Surely, they have great youthplayers, but they are signed from other academys for money. One could argue that this is perhaps something that is missing in FM, a "inbetween " option of the DOYD and the U-18", a function where the club signs players for the youthteam for money. BUt I suspect that if this function was not perfectly coded, it would mess up the game. Eother making it too easy because of the user gettuing all the good players, or that the AI transfer policy would get flawed ( probably both actually)

Sorry for the non-spellcheck, it sems to be out of function :(

Last edited:
And I have gone for that option...for now. Like I said, I signed some fantastic young players from South American countries and I have scouts worldwide searching for players.. But I have seen users on here build teams strictly from their own regens. That is my goal. Or, even ONE player per class that will eventually make a contribution will make me happy. Also, I have to clarify that this isn't my first save. For some reason, I can get regens, even when I played as a team such as Chelsea, I had to go a sign regens from Southampton and France.

any other input?
Do you base it on the orginal reports or sign them all on youth contracts then have a look, as with my Shakhtar save a few of them go from 2 star to 4 star, there used to be a glitch in the original patch about it but i expect it may just be my dodgy scouts, but i would definetly check out their starts yourself rather than listening to your ***. Man

I have a look, sign them unless they are 1/2 a star, then I wait a year or two to see how training progresses to renew or not

I think the reputation of your club is a huge factor in getting the best regens through your academy. I've had saves with Athletic and they're renowned for having one of the best academies, but on the game I relied on poaching U16 Spaniards (with the odd exception to a couple coming from the academy) for the first 5-7 years until I had won every trophy and I was considered the best club in Europe, and after that I was getting at least 5 players through my youth intake with 4 stars or more potential, so yeah, I think club reputation is a massive factor, as well as having good Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment.

You can't just expect these amazing regens to just pop up straight away, who knows, maybe you'll strike the lottery and get one, but I believe it takes a lot of time set up an academy that will consistently produce decent to very good potential players year on in - from your senior team being successful on the pitch, to a core of great backroom staff. I think having coaches that are from the same nation as the club also helps as well. For example, in my current save with Partizan, I didn't change my as. man and coaches in the first year, and my youth intake for that year was decent (Partizan are considered to have one of the best academies in Europe), then in the next summer I had a proper clear out, employed a lot of coaches that weren't Balkans (they had better stats though) and my youth intake in the 2nd year was really atrocious, the best player that came through had 2 star potential, I even went through and checked just to see if the coach reports were duff, but I seriously didn't find one worth keeping. Nearing the end of my 2nd season I think I'll hire a core of Balkan coaches and further experiment on this idea.

To summarise I'll just say try and win the Liga BBVA a few times, and try and win any of the European cups more than once, as well as constantly upgrading facilities and adding/improving your backroom staff.

These are just my opinions on what makes a good youth academy on FM from my experience, I don't think I've had any really good youth intakes from the first few years and without being even slightly successful with the first team - though I haven't managed either of Boca or River Plate and they seem to churn out wonderkid after wonderkid!

I get what you're saying but I am not asking for wonderkids. I do not expect that for a long while. I just want someone to contribute. I have absolutely no depth and the midfield or forward positions. That will change because of champions league money but I would rather have people coming out of my own academy. Heck, even a player that s a "two star" by my coaches and by myself would suffice :*(

I should probably update everyone and say I had a club take over and he decided to upgrade my training facilities. I now have 'top training facilities' with a pretty good transfer budget of around 25 million (which I wont use...for now). A lot of the money came from the champions league. Somehow I am in first with two losses, yet PSG hasn't lost and is in second. I will update the thread with my next regens...hopefully I can score some decent players this time