Reaction score
So im playing as Leyton Orient and i want to impose a heavy possession style of play while creating a good amount of Chances through working the ball around to create space in between the 2 centre halves and full backs i'm getting the possession i expect averaging around 60-70% every game and i'm getting the defensive aspect of the formation correct playing 3 and not conceding a single goal the problem i have is i'm creating only 1 highlight a game or maybe 2-3 what is appalling for the amount of possession we have any ideas how i can start to convert this possession style of play into a scoring formation

Last edited:
Hi Liam,

A few things that i can pick out regarding your setup.

Who is breaking into the box, running beyond the ball to get into the box?
-As far as i can see, it is only your advanced forward, as the wingers will stay wide and try to cross, and all the supporting midfielders have roles that force them to stick to positions and offer passing options, with none breaking from deep.

Using an AF as a solo striker
- when using a solo striker, you will usually want a supporting role (Except maybe when using a Treq), as otherwise he will be left isolated and never see the ball, let alone in good areas. If you want to have an advanced forward, he needs a supporting strike partner, either a DLFs next to him, or a creative player in the attacking midfield strata.

Your mentality and TI
- You are using both Shorter passing and Retain possession, both of these TIs reduce the length of passing, and retain possession makes the team make less risky passes. Therefore your team is almost never looking to pass the ball beyond your opponent, instead mundanely passing it side to side between themselves. this combined with your advanced forward means that even the few moments he can make an impact, and runs behind, all your players ignore him.
- Lower tempo. You are playing extremely short and not dangerous passes and combining this with playing them extremely slowly.Therefore the opposition will get themself into defensive shape, and your team will not move them around, as by the time you have moved the ball, slowed it right down, then made another pass, the opposition player will have got back into shape.
- You have both wingers and full backs on support, yet you look for overlap. The support duty will mean the full backs operate the same areas as the wingers, and are restricted from breaking beyond them (attacking duty), yet the team are being told to look for them.

Thats my two cents, good luck!

P.s. You seem to have genuinely created a good waste time tactic for when youre in a lead :D

Hi Liam,

A few things that i can pick out regarding your setup.

Who is breaking into the box, running beyond the ball to get into the box?
-As far as i can see, it is only your advanced forward, as the wingers will stay wide and try to cross, and all the supporting midfielders have roles that force them to stick to positions and offer passing options, with none breaking from deep.

Using an AF as a solo striker
- when using a solo striker, you will usually want a supporting role (Except maybe when using a Treq), as otherwise he will be left isolated and never see the ball, let alone in good areas. If you want to have an advanced forward, he needs a supporting strike partner, either a DLFs next to him, or a creative player in the attacking midfield strata.

Your mentality and TI
- You are using both Shorter passing and Retain possession, both of these TIs reduce the length of passing, and retain possession makes the team make less risky passes. Therefore your team is almost never looking to pass the ball beyond your opponent, instead mundanely passing it side to side between themselves. this combined with your advanced forward means that even the few moments he can make an impact, and runs behind, all your players ignore him.
- Lower tempo. You are playing extremely short and not dangerous passes and combining this with playing them extremely slowly.Therefore the opposition will get themself into defensive shape, and your team will not move them around, as by the time you have moved the ball, slowed it right down, then made another pass, the opposition player will have got back into shape.
- You have both wingers and full backs on support, yet you look for overlap. The support duty will mean the full backs operate the same areas as the wingers, and are restricted from breaking beyond them (attacking duty), yet the team are being told to look for them.

Thats my two cents, good luck!

P.s. You seem to have genuinely created a good waste time tactic for when youre in a lead :D

Yeah i noticed that ive changed my tempo so we spray quicker balls and changed my full backs to Attacking roles and that made a difference i put my striker to poacher and instructed him to get on the should of the defender and added a AP to my tactic and it seems to be creating alot of opportunity's i understand what you mean regarding passing it side to side so i added more risky passes to my main Creative players and im currently on a 5 game unbeaten run including a 1-0 win over Portsmouth in the cup using my 'waste time tactic' :p cheers for the Advice

Hi Liam

Any chance you could share the tweaked and original tactics as this is the formation I like to use, especially with 60-70% possession.

Thanks!

No problem, maybe the only thing to watch for is obviously the attacking fullbacks will push forwards, so when youre the weaker team it may leave space down the wings. Otherwise, by the sounds of it you have a nicely balanced tactic!

No problem with the advice, i just wish i could get my Liverpool team playing as well! I cant for the life of me make Coutinho or Firmino work in any tactics i build around them, think im just gonna sack them off and build around Hendo Salah and Mane :D

No problem, maybe the only thing to watch for is obviously the attacking fullbacks will push forwards, so when youre the weaker team it may leave space down the wings. Otherwise, by the sounds of it you have a nicely balanced tactic!

No problem with the advice, i just wish i could get my Liverpool team playing as well! I cant for the life of me make Coutinho or Firmino work in any tactics i build around them, think im just gonna sack them off and build around Hendo Salah and Mane :D
you tried playing Coutinho as a CM on ATT he attributes are perfect for that position then play Can next to him and Hendo as a DM lethal trio if you can get them all to work