HELPPPPP!!! Nothing I do works :(

banger93

Reaction score
Please anyone help me! Im struggling so bad and never felt like this with fm.

Im currently playing as brentford. Im in the second season after winning the championship first season.

I am 21 games in with 3 wins 4 draws and 14 losses! I have tried many tactics but cant get anything to work and its killing me.

I have attached my tactic below. please could anyone give me some advice on what to do or change with my tactic.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 241070View attachment 241069View attachment 241068View attachment 241067

1 - What's the idea behind the tactic? How do you envision it working, defensively and attacking-wise?

2 - Apart from the AF/A, obviously, who are you expecting to score goals here... and how will the player(s) do that?

3 - Can you explain why you have each of the 5 TIs selected? You could probably drop 4 of the 5 and do better than you are right now.

4 - Do you find the DM (BWM/D) is protecting the defence well enough? That role will hunt down the ball all over the place.

5 - Why did you choose Standard mentality?

6 - Where are you predicted to finish? Can't be very high anyway?

WJ

1. If I'm honest I don't really have an idea behind it. What I was hoping to happen is dm to screen the defence as I'm leaking goals, ap to push up and support the attack and wingers to feed the striker. I don't feel I can go 2 up top as I'm terrible.

2. Wingers to possibly contribute?

3. Want to try play quick passing possession?

4. Not really

5. I did have it on control but didn't feel I was doing well tried counter but was having no attack.

6. 19th

WJ

1. If I'm honest I don't really have an idea behind it. What I was hoping to happen is dm to screen the defence as I'm leaking goals, ap to push up and support the attack and wingers to feed the striker. I don't feel I can go 2 up top as I'm terrible.

2. Wingers to possibly contribute?

3. Want to try play quick passing possession?

4. Not really

5. I did have it on control but didn't feel I was doing well tried counter but was having no attack.

6. 19th
Based on the answers, you're better off analysing your squad and coming up with a proper plan of how to play.

1 - You've selected the only Defend duty role who won't screen the defence. Did you read the descriptions of the roles at all? Did you watch the DM in action at all, to see if he's doing what you want? The formation might be fine, but you have no plan within that and that's the biggest problem, by far.

2 - Are they doing that? Why not?

3 - That doesn't answer my question.

4 - So why not change it? You see it's not working!

5 - You're predicted to be 19th. You're the 2nd worst team in the league. Just saying. Control is very risky. What was the problem with Counter, exactly? 'Having no attack' says nothing of use.

6 - Don't expect too much then. You're clearly not expected to do much. That's not to say that there aren't improvements to be made though.

What do you suggest me doing/analysing?

The wingers are not contributing too much and if I'm honest I don't know why?

I suppose I didn't look at the description I will look into that now.

What do you suggest me doing/analysing?

The wingers are not contributing too much and if I'm honest I don't know why?

I suppose I didn't look at the description I will look into that now.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-tactics/328095-starting-new-club.html

That's basically what I do at every club. It's a long write-up, but it's quick to do in practice.

Wingers are just that - wingers. They're supposed to hug the touchline, dribble at opponents and cross.

Take your time in setting up a tactic right. Once it's done, everything else is a breeze.

How do you watch the game? Also on that link the pictures of your tactic working how do you get that up?

Yeah I only use a BWM when alongside a more defensive minded role unless I am a top team that dominates. Defensive Midfielder or Anchor Man would offer more protection.

With the 3 man midfield I see there may be a lack of support to your lone striker. Perhaps change the AP to Attack duty and maybe change the CM to a B2B midfielder to help with the midfield support.

You also have the Look for Overlap TI. For me since you are plaing with Wingers on attack then they will already be pushing forward to the byline for crosses taking up the space of where the FBs would overlap. The overlap would be more effective with Inside Forwards as the space they vacate would allow the FBs to get forward. Also they could help chip in some goals to take some of the pressure off your striker.

What do you mean?

I think he means do you watch your games on full, extended etc and maybe what do you look out for in a tactical sense to help your makes effective changes to the tactic

I think he means do you watch your games on full, extended etc and maybe what do you look out for in a tactical sense to help your makes effective changes to the tactic
If he's asking that, he hasn't read my thread.

If he's asking that, he hasn't read my thread.

He probably just skimmed over it lol

Its a good read, very helpful for me in finally making my own tactics instead of downloading tactics.

Thanks for your advice guys. I did read over your thread and it's helped me loads and done a whole lot better in recent form lol.

Thank you

No problem. You just had a few glaring issues. It still won't be perfect and things won't always go your way, but the major issues are more or less sorted and hopefully you've learned a thing or two. If you're having issues, try and watch more of a match (or even the previous one where you had the issue) to try and diagnose the problem. You might not know HOW to fix it, but just finding the problem is already a big part of the process done.

I got a couple more questions lol.

1. How do I go about a team that's having all the possession?

2. I just got rinsed by bolasie and Richie on the wings and nothing I done worked. Wingers seem to be causing me a problem..

thabks in advance

1. How do I go about a team that's having all the possession?
Depends where their possession is, what their formation is and what yours is. Does it matter if they have more possession?

2. I just got rinsed by bolasie and Richie on the wings and nothing I done worked. Wingers seem to be causing me a problem.
There's no question there?

The possession seems to be in middle of the park my cm just don't seem to get close enough

2. What's best way to stop wingers?

The possession seems to be in middle of the park my cm just don't seem to get close enough

2. What's best way to stop wingers?

Too many variable. What exactly are they doing? are they dribbling through you? Are the crossing, are the holding the ball up to an overlapping player, are they playing it back to their defenders. You're the one watching the matches here, help us and and tell us what's happening.

How long is a piece of string? There needs to be context around the questions. Stop them from doing what? I'm starting to see why you're struggling.

You need to watch the games. If a particular midfielder is causing a problem, tight mark him. Maybe have a player man mark him.

With wingers, it depends what they're doing. Better defenders maybe? Are they diving into tackles? Stop the supply to the wingers in the first place? Get a midfielder to hold position and help out? etc. There are many ways to go about it, but it really depends what is happening.

I remember in an old save a few years ago, I was struggling against a winger so I deliberately played someone with terrible tackling but a lot of strength in the RB role and instructed him to tackle their winger hard. ..... Long story short, he got sent off, but their winger left on a stretcher

Problem solved in my books :p