Henry apologises for Gomez tackle

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 1K
It was a woeful tackle but i share Jamie Redknapps comments its just mistimed not thuggish. Terry makes loads of slide tackles but has never broke someones leg its about teaching these things and knowing when to slide and when not too. If we are not carefull slide tackles will be out of the game forever and i don't know about you lot but i love when a player takes the ball 100% its exciting. Definatly a red card though for Henry and i supose he said this so the FA don't take more action.
there is an art to slide tackling though. same way there is an art to defending. these too many plays think being a tough defender or midfiled enforcer is just about going in as hard as you can and smashing whatever is there be it player or ball. being a top class defender is just as diffiicult as skill as bening a fancy midfielder, because anticipation and timing is everything in the tackle. but we let too many poor ones get away and call it "enthusiastic".

i love the physical side of the game, but only when the tackle is spot on, or when the slide steals the ball away perfectly. not when some mug is too slow to win the ball so he takes out the player.

there is an art to slide tackling though. same way there is an art to defending. these too many plays think being a tough defender or midfiled enforcer is just about going in as hard as you can and smashing whatever is there be it player or ball. being a top class defender is just as diffiicult as skill as bening a fancy midfielder, because anticipation and timing is everything in the tackle. but we let too many poor ones get away and call it "enthusiastic".

i love the physical side of the game, but only when the tackle is spot on, or when the slide steals the ball away perfectly. not when some mug is too slow to win the ball so he takes out the player.

Yer i agree there is a art to tackling and it needs to be taught better from an early age.

Did he apologise to Xabi Alonso after kicking him in the chest?

They were just playing Street Fighter, no harm intended! :)

Finish him!

But seriously. Physicality is so important in football. Jordi Gomez is lucky to still have two perfectly good legs.

Oh wait.. :$

Back