kolas79

Reaction score
Hello to everyone! I would love to hear your thoughts about the difficulties I am facing with the tactic I use in my A.C. Milan save. I am using a 4-2-3-1 tactic. My main eleven (and the roles that I have gave them) are the following:
  1. Gianlulgi Donnarumma Goalkeeper
  2. Mattia De Sciglio Full back right with attack duty
  3. Gustavo Gomez Central defender with defend duty
  4. Alessio Romagnoli Ball playing defender with defend duty
  5. Jetro Willems Full back left with attack duty
  6. Marco Benassi Box to Box midfielder with support duty
  7. Axel Witsel Roaming playmaker with support duty
  8. Domenico Berardi Inside forward with support duty
  9. Marco Asensio Advanced playmaker with support duty
  10. Giacomo Bonaventura Inside forward with support duty
  11. Mattia Destro Advanced forward with attack duty
The team instructions I use are the following
  1. Tempo Normal
  2. Width Balanced (or fairly narrow)
  3. Defensive line Normal
  4. Closing down
    1. Sometimes
    2. Prevent GK short distribution
  5. Build up
    1. Exploit the middle
    2. Short passing
  6. Attack
    1. Look for overlap
    2. Low crosses
The main problems I am having so far are that my opponents create a lot of chances from through balls which are coming from the middle and when I am in attack although my full backs are overlapping they don’t receive many passes in order to put crosses inside the box.
Feel free to suggest any change in the roles or in the team instructions
Looking forward to hear your suggestions

First thing that stands out for me is your full backs are both on attacking, so they're going to leave massive gaps at the back when you lose possession. I would change them both to support, change their individual instructions to cross more and close down more, change Berardi to attack and Destro to a DLF and to support.

1. Gianlulgi Donnarumma Goalkeeper
  2. Mattia De Sciglio Full back right with attack duty - change to support
  3. Gustavo Gomez Central defender with defend duty - Cover
  4. Alessio Romagnoli Ball playing defender with defend duty - Stopper
  5. Jetro Willems Full back left with attack duty -change to support
  6. Marco Benassi Box to Box midfielder with support duty
  7. Axel Witsel Roaming playmaker with support duty - Change to deep lying playmaker, defend duty, shoot less often (he's not great at tackling/marking but is good at positioning so should cut out some passes)
  8. Domenico Berardi Inside forward with support duty - Change to attack duty
  9. Marco Asensio Advanced playmaker with support duty
  10. Giacomo Bonaventura Inside forward with support duty - Change to winger support duty, shoot less often
  11. Mattia Destro Advanced forward with attack duty - Change to deep lying forward

1. Tempo Normal
  2. Width Balanced (or fairly narrow) - fairly narrow
  3. Defensive line Normal - High
  4. Closing down
    1. Sometimes
    2. Prevent GK short distribution
  5. Build up
    1. Exploit the middle - Exploit flanks
    2. Short passing - remove
  6. Attack
    1. Look for overlap
    2. Low crosses - Right back aim crosses to far post. Left back aim crosses in the middle. (bonaventura will go far post to receive crosses, Beradi will cut in to the middle to recieve central crosses)

Last edited:
Thank you both for your suggestions guys!! I will try them on and will let you know about the results. Furthmore about the mentality I use (I forgot to mention that) I always start the game with standard (and most of the times leave it like this) or with control. It seems like attacking mentality makes my players to shoot more often from long distance and with this way the team isn't creates any chances at all.

Thank you both for your suggestions guys!! I will try them on and will let you know about the results. Furthmore about the mentality I use (I forgot to mention that) I always start the game with standard (and most of the times leave it like this) or with control. It seems like attacking mentality makes my players to shoot more often from long distance and with this way the team isn't creates any chances at all.

I use the same mate, standard or control. Let us know how you get on, remember it's best to wait until your familiarity with the tactic will also contribute, wait until it's quite high to judge it.

Give me a shout if it's not improved! Need Milan back to their best ;)

I use the same mate, standard or control. Let us know how you get on, remember it's best to wait until your familiarity with the tactic will also contribute, wait until it's quite high to judge it.

Give me a shout if it's not improved! Need Milan back to their best ;)

Will do my friend ! To be copletely up till now the tactic is working quite well. I am in third place and four points away from Juve which is first. It seems that a few twicks there and there are needed in order to work properly and that is the reason for creating this post.

Will do my friend ! To be copletely up till now the tactic is working quite well. I am in third place and four points away from Juve which is first. It seems that a few twicks there and there are needed in order to work properly and that is the reason for creating this post.

You had a lot on support duty mate, mixed with attacking fullbacks this probably left it fairly open when defending. Forgot to say, try Flexible

Axel Witsel Roaming playmaker with support duty - Change to deep lying playmaker, defend duty, shoot less

Agree with everything bar this. Personally I'd have him on support, he's not that good a tackler so with support he'll at least track back to help with defense.

Agree with everything bar this. Personally I'd have him on support, he's not that good a tackler so with support he'll at least track back to help with defense.

Yeah agree in a way mate but the team is light in CM tacklers and that tactic is light on defense duty players as it is.

I find positioning / work rate / anticipation useful in that role, though as I said in my post he is weak on actual tackles.

I'd use him on defend more to break up attacks my intercepting but yeah, try him with both instructions and see what the difference is :)

Yeah agree in a way mate but the team is light in CM tacklers and that tactic is light on defense duty players as it is.

I find positioning / work rate / anticipation useful in that role, though as I said in my post he is weak on actual tackles.

I'd use him on defend more to break up attacks my intercepting but yeah, try him with both instructions and see what the difference is :)

Suppose your right mate, guess we'll see how he does using both roles.

Well so far I have played five games using your advices. The team managed three wins and two draws. The biggest result was a 5-2 home win against Barcelona for the ECL (I am in second season and managed to finish second in my first season so Milan has return to where it belongs). The players are still trying to get used to the new roles. I am satisfied with the way the team plays in attack (although Destro has some difficulties with the deep lying forward role, by the way I use him with an attack duty there). My backs are playing very good though and almost all my goals come from assists that are made by them. Middfield looks solid and Witsel is quite good as a DLP with defend duty. I have not use with a support duty so far (I am afraid that if I will do this I will face problems with through balls since he won't provide cover for Bennasi anymore.
Something else that I am thinking is retrainning Suso into a left winger (he is left footed after all) and use him as a left winger since I believe he would be more suitable than Bonaventura (who is rigth footed).

Once again thanks for the support and look forward to continue this tactical talk!

Well so far I have played five games using your advices. The team managed three wins and two draws. The biggest result was a 5-2 home win against Barcelona for the ECL (I am in second season and managed to finish second in my first season so Milan has return to where it belongs). The players are still trying to get used to the new roles. I am satisfied with the way the team plays in attack (although Destro has some difficulties with the deep lying forward role, by the way I use him with an attack duty there). My backs are playing very good though and almost all my goals come from assists that are made by them. Middfield looks solid and Witsel is quite good as a DLP with defend duty. I have not use with a support duty so far (I am afraid that if I will do this I will face problems with through balls since he won't provide cover for Bennasi anymore.
Something else that I am thinking is retrainning Suso into a left winger (he is left footed after all) and use him as a left winger since I believe he would be more suitable than Bonaventura (who is rigth footed).

Once again thanks for the support and look forward to continue this tactical talk!

That's why I suggested where to aim crosses, seems to work really well for my Man Utd squad, they don't need to be set to attack. You could also set them to cross from deep if you wanted, but if it's working, keep it going :)

Great win vs Barcelona!

That's why I suggested where to aim crosses, seems to work really well for my Man Utd squad, they don't need to be set to attack. You could also set them to cross from deep if you wanted, but if it's working, keep it going :)

Great win vs Barcelona!

It was a huge win yeah but it would have been even better if after that win I would also have achieved a win against Empoli (for the Serie A). It is a little bit strange to score five goals against one of the best teams in the world and none against Empoli ha ha !!

After making some more adjustements , I think that I may have found a quite good combinations of players roles for my 4-2-3-1 tactic. The roles are the following :

1. Goalkeeper
2. Full back right (support)
3. Defensive center back (cover)
4. Central defender (stopper)
5. Full back left (support)
6. Central midfielder (support)
7. Central midfielder (defend)
8. Inside forwad (in the right flank with support duty)
9. Attacking midfielder (with attack duty)
10.Winger (in the left flank with support duty)
11.Advanced Fordward (attack)

My team instructions are :

1. exploit the flanks
2. close down more
3. short passing
4. prevent Gk distribuition
5. look for overlap and work ball in the box

The mentality is normal with flexible. The width is fairly wide since with narrow I was too exposed in chances that were created from crosses coming from wingers or full backs. Playing wider help reduce those chances. I have also set the four players that consist my attack force (the two wingers , the attacking midfielder and the advanced forward) the close down more which lead most of the time the opposite defenders just to throw the ball way and I regain possetion quicker.

If anyone is interested I can post screenshots of this tactic.

You don't make an AC Milan save without using the diamond.

Having reached the year 2021 , I 've managed to win the ECL and the Serie A in the same year with my beloved Milan !!! So excited !! After having tried everything with my 4-2-3-1 , I 've decided to change it into a 4-3-3 using my wingers and my inside forards as DLFs and Belotti as AF and this season lifted up the whole team !! The queen is back in her throne !!

Having reached the year 2021 , I 've managed to win the ECL and the Serie A in the same year with my beloved Milan !!! So excited !! After having tried everything with my 4-2-3-1 , I 've decided to change it into a 4-3-3 using my wingers and my inside forards as DLFs and Belotti as AF and this season lifted up the whole team !! The queen is back in her throne !!

Hi Mate - looks like you found a good way to play! I just finished my 1st season with Milan and finish 5th - having huge issues with tatics. Can you share your 433?

I used 4231 for the first season, was very dominant at home but always lost or drew away from home (even vs the small teams)
also HUGE losses away from home vs the big teams :(

Cheers

Hi Mate - looks like you found a good way to play! I just finished my 1st season with Milan and finish 5th - having huge issues with tatics. Can you share your 433?

I used 4231 for the first season, was very dominant at home but always lost or drew away from home (even vs the small teams)
also HUGE losses away from home vs the big teams :(

Cheers

Of course my friend. I‘ll give you a rough description and if you like I can post some screenshots.

The tactic is quite simple since you do not use any special team instructions for each player but just the one that are provided automatically by the game for each role. Also I think that the roster of A.C. Milan on the first year can support this tactic.
The roles are the following
  1. Goalkeeper
  2. Full back right with attack duty
  3. Central defender with defend duty (I use a left footed in the right side)
  4. Central defender with defend duty (I use a right footed in the left side)
  5. Full back left with attack duty
The three players in the midfield must be:
  1. Deep lying playmaker with defend duty
  2. Ball winning midfielder with support duty (he should be in the middle)
  3. Advanced playmaker with support duty
The three players in your attack line must be:
  1. Two DLF forwards with support duty (one right footed on the right side and one left footed on the left side). Important! The must have good passing and dribbling skills. That is why is good idea to retrain as a DLF a winger or an inside forward.
  2. An advanced forward in the middle
Your team instructions must be:
  1. Standard mentality
  2. Width : balanced
  3. Tempo : normal or high
  4. Close down : more
  5. Prevent short GK distribution
  6. Exploit the middle
  7. Look for overlap
  8. Work ball into box