Here there and Everywhere: A Coaches Tale

WizardofCoz

Reaction score
o-UNEMPLOYMENT-HEALTH-facebook.jpg

Here we go...the coaching ladder, from thermos flasks on a frozen pitch in front of 300 "fans" to rubbing elbows the the rich and famous of the Nou Camp the road can be a game of snakes and ladders but that what makes it all worthwhile.

Starting this career unemployed at the bottom of the barrel (as there is no English to Spanish translator job Mourinho style in this years FM), I want to go from unemployed to move up the coaching ladder BY ANY MEANS possible. No room for falling in love with the fans or chairman Eddie Howe style, no kissing the badge, try to progress through the leagues and countries in order to get a "top Job" in the shortest amount of time. After years of playing the game I know this will be no easy feat and will have bumps in the road but should be an interesting ride!

I'll spare everyone the moans and groans of the job search and get right to it!

I was offered interviews at a couple of second division Scottish teams and after a few rejections I FINALLY got two contract offers from English League 1 teams Bury and Gillingham. (Desperate times calls for desperate measures!).

I have to measure up the two clubs and decide which would be the easiest to put myself in a position to make my way up the coaching ladder ASAP!

Last edited:
As a Gills season ticket holder I'm hoping you take the job there and look forward to seeing how you do with them, although Bury have more money and will probably be a lot more generous with their budgets...either way I will be following this

View attachment 75264
Bury FC is it!​

Really happy that both The Shakers and The Gills offered me spots and after a tough back and forth I had to agree to sign with Bury.

Rationale:

Gillingham were rated slightly higher and were a great option to start out with yet for the reasons below I had to go with Bury as my start out club.

-Finances: Slightly more stable club, I didnt want to risk having a black mark on my career should finances become an issue and the FFP turn around and bite me.
-Expectations: Gills wanted a playoff push while Bury only wanted a mid-table finish, so job security was in mind here.
Players: I have an idea of what type of players I wanted initially knowing that transfers will be few and far at this level so starting roster was a huge sway for me.

Key Players:

Jermaine Beckford- Former FM Legend for me and a player (in real life!) with Prem and Championship goalscoring experience. Even though those days are gone he looks like he can be a very useful player at this level

Nathan Cameron-A player who cannot train with the team as he has an injury that holds him out, is arguably on paper our best player. He has 3 champrionship clubs interested in him, I'll have to decide if we should cash in on him or keep all hands on deck until I take a new job!

Eoghan O'Connell-A player that I really liked on last years FM and a star for this team, him and Cameron at the back look like I can create a solid spine of the team and have two high quality CB's to build around

Other notable useful players:
Rohan Ince (loan player), Andrew Tutte & Harry Bunn...players who fit in my system really well.

With finances tight I know that it will be nearly impossible to "improve" the squad the best I can hope for is to add a bit more depth at certain positions. I will be scouting the Prem and Championship for free loan players that cost no wages and no fee.

I immediately put my formation (will post with screenshot after the first few games) in all 3 training slots, hired a few new coaches to help the squad, and also did a trick I find MASSIVELY useful: *Talk to all players individually and "Praise their conduct" no players will ever respond negatively and their moral always goes up and also their relationship with you grows also.

With the late hire date I only have 1 pre-season game to get these guys up to scratch to play the first game of the League 1 season.

Last edited:
The Reinforcements are here...

*Bare with me I'm currently without screenshot for in-game pictures...will be sorted this week!*

Callum Styles the exceedingly talented youngster has to be our sacrificial lamb in order to fund a few transfers...we managed to sell him for 575K (which could could eventually rise to 700K) and we also let go Neil Danns as his wages were the highest at the club, he would have been of service but clearing his wages can fund some much needed depth at the club for us to sign a couple of free transfers.

With our new funds we bought a few players:

Nicky Clark-87k from Dunfermline: A Jamie Vardy esque player, quick, aggressive, hard working, and chips in with a goal...

Jai Quintongo (pictured below) 375K- Took a flyer on him a scottish, african, portugese hybrid player who looks to be an exceptional talent...normally wouldnt pay this much for a player but my mission is instant gratification so no building for the future (even though he is a youngster) so I'm spending the money while I have it.

Ryan Taylor- A well known experienced player formerly of Newcastle, Hull and had tons of Prem experience, he is a free transfer and can play in lots of different positions including right back which we desperately need!

Michael Folivi Loan- I've seen this player live and he was a real fire cracker so I saw that he was interested in us for a loan and he has a couple of Championship teams. Hoping he will be our #1 goalscorer up top with Beckford.

Nicky Ajose the savior!

August-December Update:

Highest Average Rating:

Nicky Ajose
View attachment 75263

Nicky Ajose our on Loan right winger who is at the club for his second stint has been a HUGE hit, creating chances, scoring goals and has helped fired us into a 6th place standing as we head into the busy Christmas period.

Leading Goalscorer:
Jermaine Beckford
View attachment 75262

Beckford has led the line well in an Advanced Forward position scoring goals and helping create chances also

Impact Player(s):
Nathan Cameron/Cameron Brannagan/Michael Folivi
View attachment 75261 View attachment 75260View attachment 75259
All three have got high ratings and are consistent performers in League 1, Nicky Clark has useful in the cup giving a rest to Beckford. Everything is going according to plan and I have been awarded Manager of the month Runner-Up twice on the bounce thanks to these fellas

Approaching January:
Most likely not going to dive into the transfer market as we have no money and little wiggle room for wages at this point, the team is progressing well and I think if we can make it into the playoffs then I can get a better manager rating and start applying for a Scottish Premiership job or maybe a lower level Championship team in order to start climbing the ladder. Bolton in the Championship have already sacked two managers and they are interested in some crappy managers so maybe I will throw my hat into the ring for that one! We will see...

A door closes...open a window...

After many years of playing FM and CM games something happen to me that has never happened to me before...

As mentioned in my previous Post Bury F.C and I were flying in Skybet League 1 firmly in a playoff place scoring the most goals in the league and middle of the pack in goals against. The team had become very familiar with the formations being trained and the Squad Dynamics were "excellent".

Then what will be known as "the mistake" happened...

Bolton Wanderers a former Premier League mainstay, had sacked their second manager in 6 months and were looking for lucky #3 to save them from relegation...after watching the "social feed" and analyzing the Job Centre page...managers my reputation rating were linked with the job. So...after looking at their team and staying true to the premise of making my way up by any means possible I thought why not throw an application in...

As soon as I hit the mouse button, I was sacked...the Bury Icon on the top of the screen turned the dreaded white and my heart sank...I was clueless to what happened?!?! As suspected I clicked on my inbox and lone behold an email from the Bury higher ups...I'VE BEEN SACKED...

After a few minutes of ferociously searching...I had realized in my excitement of taking the Bury job I had not realized that there was a clause in the contract (Maybe new to this year? I'm not sure?) that said "Will not apply for other job". ROOKIE MISTAKE...A few things crossed my mind, should I restore the game from last save point? hmmm...then I stopped feeling sorry for myself and decided that: I've made my bed now I have to sleep in it...I immediately applied for every job in League 1, Serie B, Scottish Championship, Spanish 2nd league....No luck...AT ALL...

January came and went...I had ONE...ONE! interview with Morton in Scotland...and I got turned down...then came Inverness...same result...desperation set in, I started applying to any and all positions fearful I'd never get another shot in the professional leagues....

Then...finally a got an interview offer for the Skybet League Two relegation strugglers Port Vale F.C. Not exactly where I had envisioned my self to be at this point, visions of foreign shores, or on the cusp of the royalty of the Premier league were on my mind. Yet on March 10th 2018...I find myself pulling on the Port Vale black and white colours as I take hold of my first training session. Although I am thankful to be back in a job I can see if I don't survive this relegation battle, and turn this club around soon....I'm going to find my self struggling to get out of the English footballing leagues basement for years to come...time to pull up my socks and roll up my sleeves

Last edited:
A Valiant Effort...

Currently 3 points from safety with a struggling squad, unable to bring in any players in (no one wants to come, it's march, and we have no money...) I know its going to be a massive uphill battle. My first match against Grimsby at home is the first match, I hope we can get a point here as they currently sit 21st and I hope the change of manager will have a positive influence on the team...

Port Vale Current State of Affairs:

We have a few decent players, one: Nathan Smith- A young center back that has all the attributes to be a locker room leader and likely to be at least a championship level player in the future. He looks to be valuable in survival or we could sell for some cash if we survive this season.
Tom Pope-Arguable that he is the most important as he is the only "goal scorer" on the team at the minute if he can't score for us it looks like we are going to struggle a GREAT DEAL.

Paul Smith- Former Scotland U21 player (mannnnny years ago), I signed the Scotland lower league journeyman Quinn on a free. I managed to sign him by lowering his wage demands by offering him incentives and also giving him a 3 year deal. He has very good leadership, solid all round "central defender" role player. Should develop a good partnership with Nathan Smith.

10 Games Remaining***GAME 1***

Home vs Grimsby...What an easy life it is I thought, a nice 2-0 win with little to no threats to our lead throughout, A Tom Pope header and an own goal gave us the win, clean sheet and a one way ticket OUT of the relegation zone. As Klopp would say...BOOM!

Last 9 matches of the seasons:

View attachment 75178

We follow up our 2-0 win with a 3-3 thriller vs Stevenage. Then firmly back down to earth again with a 0-3 thumping to Wycombe...a poor poor poor performance and looks like the the new manager effect has quickly wore off.

We then go on an absolute unreal run of 7 wins on the bounce and within 4 points of the promotion playoff spots. We fall short even before the last game but to add insult to injury we blow a 1-0 lead to Cambridge and finish the year with a 1-2 loss.

End of Season Review:

I was awarded the manager of the month award for the month of April, and really we punched above our weight for sure but I can't complain. I think that the new tactics that have been unfamiliar to the rest of the teams in the league really benefited us. The Port Vale board were over the moon with the job I've been doing not only saving us from relegation but firing us to a mid table finish (even surpassed my expectations!).

I know I have to promote this team in order to get my manager reputation up I'd going to have to make a lot of changes to the roster and coaching staff, the chairman seems to be a supportive man I hope I can manage to get enough money out of him to get in the new recruits on and off the field we need. I can't raid my old club as they are in League 1 and they are too expensive/will not want to drop leagues for us.

Plan of attack:

-Find free agent veterans who are requesting cheap wages
-Improve coaching staff/scouting/physio
-Look for Premier League Regens I can get on loan for free.
-Hopefully I can get a Liverpool, a Chelsea or a top team to be a parent club so they are more likely to send me their better prospects.

Last edited:
Well then, that went pear-shaped rather fast!

It's all a good learning experience I guess... can't say I've ever seen that contract clause before but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now, haha

Pear-shaped to shaping the squad!

End of Season/Pre-Season 2018/19

The season is over, I've had to clear house in order to get enough available wages to fund some fresh blood. I've released a lot of the dead wood and younger players who will never make an impact (who cares how good our reserve team is anyways?!). This was very easy as in League Two everyone is on a one or two year deal anyways.

Transfers Out:

Harry Middleton (225K): A decent prospect but his value in cash was way more valuable than waiting on him to develop in the short term so we shipped him off.

Released a ton of free agents to get free wages....(won't bore you with the names of all 14 of the U23 League 2 players haha)

Transfers in:

Free Agents:
View attachment 75102
Rai Simmons: quick advanced forward, will be an upgrade for sure even though he is a youngster

View attachment 75083
Carl Winchester-International Capped for N. Ireland, experienced center midfielder

View attachment 75101
Alex Kenyon-Tough tackling, centermid & centerback, versitle will fill as a backup Ball Winning Midfielder

View attachment 75100
Ruben Bover-A tricky center mid & a creative advanced playmaker

View attachment 75099
Matthew Virtue-Nice player from liverpool academy, can be our BWMidfielder or our Deep-Lying Playmaker

View attachment 75098
Matt Macey-A great prospect from Arsenal Academy a GK who I'm surprised didnt get snapped up by a bigger club

Loans:
View attachment 75097
Isaac Buckley-Ricketts-Super fast, young flying winger, his pace will be tough to handle in League 2

*will post screenshot*
Marcus Sheldon-a unbelievable regen will be the next Harry Kane IMO glad I got him as he will score bags of goals

Transfers:
View attachment 75096
Jevani Brown-(75k) A fast hard working, decent finishing all attributes are very good (for a League 1 level footballer)

View attachment 75095
Craig Halkett- (87K) Scottish center back, youngster hopefully will develop into a future star for someone

View attachment 75094
Junior Morias-(105k) A exciting player will do a great job for us, all around solid player a Jamaica international only 22.

Pre-Season:

I organized a good amount of home pre-season matches in order to get some revenue, and also against some weaker teams in order to build morale and to get the squad familiar with the formation. Massive amount of new faces in and out always takes a while to get going but I'm really excited to see how this season plays out. I'm surprised at the amount of quality I was able to bring in and in the spots we really need, we have a great mix of experience, talent and most importantly SPEED. Morias, Sheldon and Brown are going to be banging goals in...I hope I can get Nicky Ajose on loan too but highly unlikely as that would mean he would drop two leagues to play for us...oh well...one can dream.

On a side note, I'm not a bitter person as it was my own fault I got sacked but Bury missed out on the playoffs and slumped once I left so I'm pretty content with that haha!

Last edited:
Never seen that before, but maybe it was fate (or something similar other than rookie mistake). I too would take great pleasure from seeing Bury slump!

Strange contract there, not heard of that before myself either. Port Vale are a real challenge, hopefully you'll be able to sort them out and get them going the right way to help yourself out after the sacking at Bury.

Matt "David De Gea" Macey

League 1 Here we come!

View attachment 74739

In my second season with Vale we got off to a fantastic start, what I have managed to do was create two tactics a 4-2-4 (more of a 4-4-2 to be honest) and a 4-3-3 and it has been working wonders. I do believe this edition more than any of the past years requires you to play two formations in order to get a decent run of results and it prevents a massive mid or end of season slump.

Our season ended up finishing in a 2nd place finish, we were top for about 2 months after an up and down start then an incredible run from eventual champions Yeovil where they went on an unbeaten run led by Paul Dickov which saw them win 12/14 including a 2-0 away victory against us. Although winning the league for a period of time was in our grasp, it was unfortunate that we led it slip (No Stevie G references please...). I'm really happy that we got an automatic promotion and we are set up nicely to build on this success to get us ready for a run in the SkyBet League 1 next year. Matt Macey...(the new Mr. Port Vale) our new keeper was immense for us all season: saved a few pens, did not have many (if any at all) of the infamous FM howlers GKS are becoming famous for. This form earned him a spot in the League 2 team of the year...he also now has a few championship teams that currently want him, but unless stupid offers come in...he is not a replaceable player for me not in the Football League one anyway.

View attachment 74738
Matt Macey..AKA Mr. Port Vale​

Winning promotion has slightly helped my manager reputation but at this point applying for jobs at other league one teams will most likely hurt my chances of a promotion into the championship. So agreeing a next contract with Vale is what I decided to do. I know the team, I hired the entire coaching staff, brought in players to specifically suit my tactics, I'm sure starting another job I would have to do the same renovations...which would take too much time!

Off-Season into 2019/2020 Season

First order of business was to re sign on loan the League 2 leading goalscorer Marcus Sheldon, Chelsea accepted right away, I'm sure they are happy that his progression is going up the leagues too as he is far too good for League 2 and even at this point in his young career for League 1 also so he should have another successful season. Chelsea has Morata and Belotti so he wont be getting into their line up for many years to come.

Marcus Sheldon:
View attachment 74748

As mentioned in previous post League 2 players are all on one or two year contracts so its easy to get rid of a lot of the remaining deadwood and re-sign any players who we think are ready for the challenge of League 1.

*Side notes*
Jevani Brown- Another football manager first for me...this poor fella got a devastating cruciate ligament injury and on his recovery he decided to retire at the end of the season due to injuries at the young age of 24! He had a lot of previous injuries and struggled to get in the line up before his injury a flop of a transfer sadly.

Bury...they are on their second manager since I left...got relegated...we don't get to play them as we move to League 1 while they drop to League 2! Would love to have beaten them! No offense to real life Bury fans I have nothing against your club, only in the fictional world of FM.

Signings:

I'm going to roll the dice on a lot of the players I used last year, I also am going to rely on loan players even more this upcoming season as we have no money for the most part and the type of players we want are not willing to come for a transfer but are interested in loan. Plus I know I'm not going to be at the club for the long haul so buying players for the future is not going to help me!

Herbie Kane- Another Liverpool Academy player who had his contract run out so I was more than happy to pick him up! He will be a starting player for me
Callum Harriott: Flying winger I've brought in for 97k will go straight into the starting line up as our right wing position. Harriott is the only player we bought everyone else is on loan.

Greg Olley: A young yet experienced midfielder, will add depth to our center midfield alongside Kane and Virtue.

Joe Riley: Left back and center back can play both loaned him from Man Utd Academy to give us depth at a few defensive positions

Tolaji Bola: A commanding center back that can also play outside back to similar to Joe Riley signed for coverage but looks like he is going to be a starting player in the NEAR future

Joel Asoro: My favorite player of the bunch acceleration is 18 pace is 17 he is going to be a massive player for us as a winger and as an advanced forward...I had to fend off interest from clubs abroad from him but he chose us and I'm over the moon...on a season long loan from Sunderland

Last edited:
Hail Sheldonnnnnn

Marcus Sheldon the Chelsea ReGen has singled handedly fired us to the top of SkyBet League 1 and its the end of January 2020:

24 games
13 goals
11 assists
AVG Rating of 7.36

View attachment 74724

View attachment 74723
Sheldon...the next Harry Kane?! Vardy? I'm going to take credit for his development in the papers when he wins Ballon D'or...or when he signs for Stoke on a cold rainy day....​

Tactics Section:

I flip between the 4-4-2 formation and a 4-3-3 (a 4-5-1 really). I generally go with the 4-4-2 first until I have played everyone once then analyze the result...If we win keep the 4-4-2 if we lose then the rematch I switch to the 4-5-1. If we start the game poorly or get out shot or greatly out possessed I switch from one formation into the other in-match.

4-4-2:
View attachment 74650

This is my primary tactic that I use most, very counter attacking and we use the speed of the players really well with this tactic.

4-3-3:
View attachment 74649

This one is much more solid at the back, used mostly against bigger teams or formations that we have a tough time dealing with

League Table:
View attachment 74648

As you can see lots of goals and pretty decent at the back too, using the two formations really made the League 1 Championship was much easier than I had anticipated.​

League 1 to Olympics?!

***SIDENOTES***

Here are updated screenshots on the legend that is Marcus Sheldon now his second season long loan expires and he is back at Chelsea...for now HaHa!

View attachment 74647

I also found another fantastic regen than we managed to loan from January on...he has 15 Leadership so looks like he will be in the running to be a world class captain as some point he is back at West Ham after a 6 month loan with us:

View attachment 74646

Olympic Games
View attachment 74644

Following our promotion to the Championship with Vale it certainly boosted my manager reputation, of course I was scouting the job center board when I came across Italy, Portugal, Brazil and France U23 jobs available...I figured I still wont be able to buy many players this summer so it would be a pretty boring off-season so why not see if I can get one of those job...(in the past they usually hire regens or crappy old players). After application was sent I got a response right away from Portugal and France...Looking at the French U23 team they were absolutely loaded with talent so I had to accept (Obviously I kept my job at Port Vale as well). I immediately got to work in calling up players to play for us in the Olympic team. Since you are allowed 4 over 23 year old players I managed to call up Benzema (older now but still clinical) Nabil Fekir (fell out of favor in the senior national team) and Antoine Griezman! He was not called us by the senior side for Euro qualifiers through injury but he was due to recover 2 weeks before the Olympics so he was available. Pairing these senior players with all of the unbelievable talend U23's France has I knew it would be an exciting tournament.

***SIDENOTE***
Upon taking the France Olympic team job, my manager reputation got raised 5% and half a gold star even before playing a single match!

Long Story Short...
We beat Argentina in the Gold Medal match after a Group with USA...South Korea and Cameroon...Quarter Final versus Mexico then a semi final match-up against Brazil (our only tricky opponent! No Neymar, Countino, Firmino Jesus FYI).

View attachment 74645

Last edited:
Wake up and smell the Parmigiano?

**Big News**

After a massive double promotion with Port Vale...(getting out of League 2 was much more difficult then getting out of League 1!) and an easy Olympic Gold Medal my name was linked with a lot of second tier teams in the championship, middle of the pack Scottish teams and ZERO teams in non British Countries. After playing the game for year I know a hurdle for coaching abroad is that the interview questions always starts with "You dont speak the language!" yadi yadi yada...So I decided in order to continue my path to the top I needed to get out of england and broaden my horizons...

View attachment 74641 --------------------------------View attachment 74640

As soon as the Olympics ended and the gold medals were handed out I resigned from being the France U23 manager, they don't play games for a long time and a major tournament for them is 4 years away so I figured it was best to step away. After a few rejections and failed interviews....the Italians LOVE to hire and re-hire the old school has-bins over and over I wasnt having much luck! Finally the former world power Parma Calcio 1913 offered me an interview...(only after they made me meet with the Port Vale chairman to ask to reduce the compensation fee...those cheap skates!). Port Vale graciously agreed and I attended the interview, later I got the confirmation of getting the job offer.

I looked at the current Parma team it was clear that the club was struggling financially but the max Salary in Serie B is only 6.5K per week which really handcuffs the teams who are relegated from Serie A with big contracts on the books. So the advantage of bigger clubs getting relegated and going straight back up doesnt really apply all the time in Serie B.

This being said Parma have a great mix of super talented youngsters and some really high level veterans, and its clear to see that it will be pretty easy to get them into the promotion contention. The Club has a 3 and a half star club rating so certainly an improvement from Port Vale even now that they are in the Championship. It looks like a future Buffon in goal with a 19 year old starting keeper, two real quality veteran center backs, and a couple of young creative midfielders and advanced playmakers....they are in decent shape.

Although I was keen on taking the challenge of the Championship, I know Port Vale will really struggle as we have a tiny stadium and such low finances we could not compete for years. If I can get Parma promoted they have a large stadium and being a former world power would be able to bounce back significantly faster financially than getting a really small club promoted. So I accepted the job with Parma S.C for the 2020/21 season.

View attachment 74639
(The current yet unusual coaching path... note the typical Mourinho opinion of a fellow manager on display)

Last edited:
Training Methods

On a side note...

Not claiming to have a secret formula or telling anyone to copy what I am doing (feel free to steal what I have already stolen!) After a struggle during my first save with a lot of chopping and changing formations, ideas, and what not, I recently as you can see am finding a bit of consistent success. I know through the years I've always been interested what people have been doing, how they have done it, and pick up any tips I never used or thought of!

Training:

Pre-Season- Tactics or fitness
August to January- Team Cohesion
January-May-Balanced

Match Training:

Home Matches: Attacking Movement
Away Matches: Defensive Movement

Individual training:

I DO NOT give any senior players any Specific Attribute Focus as it causes them to become unhappy with training and ALWAYS become concerned with the amount of extra training they are doing.

I DO give every senior player Individual Role Focus as this really helps them fit in to the formations that are being played. The players never complain about it and become familiar with the tactic quicker this way.

View attachment 74571