• Thread starter Thread starter Kylo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 6K

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow Members,

After the Portsmouth game today, theres been a lot of talk about the injuries within the game. 3 players of the Pompey side left the pitch injured, including 2 stretchered off and 1 limping off. Hermann Hreidarsson was one of the unlucky players to have been stretchered off during the game, theres been a lot of talk already about the injury.

_47546814_hh_getty766.jpg

I've been searching around the footballing news world to try and get more information to allow you guys to discuss. The injury is reportedly an ankle/shin injury, but the injury is very feared by the fans and to make matters worse, it has just been reported as his Achilles tendon snapping. Hermann Hreidarsson has been a vital part to Portsmouth, despite the situation, he will most likely be out for the rest of the season and longer with this horrific injury.

Now, this thread is for two reasons, discussion and informing. I've informed any of you that are unaware of this and i'd like to hear some various discussions upon whether or not injuries in the sport are getting worse and more frequent. Arsenal are a good case study of this, with an apparent 3 or 4 number of players that have suffered from a broken limb, most recently Eduardo.

Feel free to discuss injuries and the aftermaths etc. Don't go off topic, this includes stupid posts about Portsmouth or any players, discussions on title races or anything related to my number of threads, if you want to have a go at me, do it outside the threads, where I won't even listen.

Anyway, comment your thoughts on the injury and i'd love to hear your discussions.

Thanks,
FourFourTwo.

Villa are pretty lucky when it comes to injuries to key players, havn't really had a Aresnal style horrific injury to any key players for a good nice while.

Maybe the supposed rise in injuries is due to players over training on their stamina and stressing their ligaments and muscles, it's only a very uninformed theory so don't berate me for it.

I doubt very much it was a snapped achilles tendon, as that makes the sound of a gunshot (literally). If it was a snapped achilles tendon, every person in the stadium would have heard it snap and the physios would have known for certain what the injury was. But yeah, bad news for Portsmouth, as if they don't have enough already.

Every time he plays against Liverpool he looks a really dirty bugar, but against other teams he looks solid. :S

his abit of a bruiser loves a challenge nickname the herminator

I doubt very much it was a snapped achilles tendon, as that makes the sound of a gunshot (literally). If it was a snapped achilles tendon, every person in the stadium would have heard it snap and the physios would have known for certain what the injury was. But yeah, bad news for Portsmouth, as if they don't have enough already.

I think thats what the injury was. My Sister mentioned she noticed that the BBC said something about that type of injury. I'll definatly put it up when the club confirms it. It was really bad though.

Maybe the supposed rise in injuries is due to players over training on their stamina and stressing their ligaments and muscles, it's only a very uninformed theory so don't berate me for it.

I think the cause of the increase of injuries would be pressure. I mean, Spanish players seem to have a lot of injuries, due to the high pace of the game. Many players brought into english football, show very high pressure and hard tackling, these are bound to cause injuries, such as Palacios, a very high paced player. Just my idea, but i agree with your statements. I had a knee injury a while back, was due to the pressure just below my knee cap, I wasn't allowed to play football. Perhaps stressing and pressure will do damage over time, I still believe its mainly the pace of the game.

no way, another Achilles tendon? just proves these guys are men, not machines. they can't be expected to run for ever.

The more recent 'horrific' injury for Arsenal was Ramsey, not Eduardo. :$

no way, another Achilles tendon? just proves these guys are men, not machines. they can't be expected to run for ever.

Yep, as stated above though, Its widely unknown and not fully confirmed. David Beckham also suffered from a similar injury, although he ruptured it, this is an apparent break/snap.

The more recent 'horrific' injury for Arsenal was Ramsey, not Eduardo. :$

Ah yes, but I didn't see that tackle. I'm sure it was as horrific as it sounds, I just watched the Eduardo one, haven't seen the Ramsey incident.

his abit of a bruiser loves a challenge nickname the herminator

Ha, thats a great nickname :)

Yep, as stated above though, Its widely unknown and not fully confirmed. David Beckham also suffered from a similar injury, although he ruptured it, this is an apparent break/snap.

Ah yes, but I didn't see that tackle. I'm sure it was as horrific as it sounds, I just watched the Eduardo one, haven't seen the Ramsey incident.

Ha, thats a great nickname :)

yer its great thats how the pronounce him over the tannoy at fratton park when reading out the teamsheet haha. proper legend down here they love him.

i would like to raise the Topic of are injuies getting worse. I think it is just footballlers arrent bread like they used to be, they dont have to work as hard as they used to. Like training facillities are btter now, hence more technicial players. But it hasnt improved there "toughness" if you get what i am saying.

i would like to raise the Topic of are injuies getting worse. I think it is just footballlers arrent bread like they used to be, they dont have to work as hard as they used to. Like training facillities are btter now, hence more technicial players. But it hasnt improved there "toughness" if you get what i am saying.

tottaly agree with you the game is more about technical ability now. you dont get players like vinnie jones, dennis wise, roy keane or i can go further back and say chopper harris.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp: " the injury to [Pompey defender] Hermann Hreidarsson has put a real dampener on things. He's one of the best lads and professionals I've ever come across and his looks a real serious injury. All the players said they heard his Achilles snap like a gunshot.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp: " the injury to [Pompey defender] Hermann Hreidarsson has put a real dampener on things. He's one of the best lads and professionals I've ever come across and his looks a real serious injury. All the players said they heard his Achilles snap like a gunshot.

If they heard it snap, he's screwed. His career could be over, so many people struggle to walk after that injury, massive blow to his career.

I'm guessing this is the curtain call for him. He's a good solid player but ageing. Haven't seen any of these injuries but I can't see how there is a link between them and the sport progressing. I just think people just talk about injuries too much because they need something to blame bad form, or bad results on.

tottaly agree with you the game is more about technical ability now. you dont get players like vinnie jones, dennis wise, roy keane or i can go further back and say chopper harris.

Maybe but i think there's still a very physical element to things. Look how important the likes of Fletcher is to Utd, or Essien is to Chelsea, or how Madrid went to great lengths to get Lass. There's still a really big need there for physical and very energetic players. I wouldn't say players don't have to work as hard as they used to-if anything they have to be fitter than ever Scott. And Jack, there are certainly less hardmen about like Chopper Harris, but they were certainly less fit-in those days players went on the lash all the time. Lots of footballers, even the great Socrates, had **** at half time!!

Maybe but i think there's still a very physical element to things. Look how important the likes of Fletcher is to Utd, or Essien is to Chelsea, or how Madrid went to great lengths to get Lass. There's still a really big need there for physical and very energetic players. I wouldn't say players don't have to work as hard as they used to-if anything they have to be fitter than ever Scott. And Jack, there are certainly less hardmen about like Chopper Harris, but they were certainly less fit-in those days players went on the lash all the time. Lots of footballers, even the great Socrates, had **** at half time!!

i mean like., working harder in like shittier state equipment and training grounds.

or even staduim pitches. i just think thats why players are getting injured more today, as they arent used to being snapped, or wiped, or landing on a dodgy bit off ground.

mm I know what you mean, but for me up-to-date training grounds and coaches etc would mean players (in theory) should be fitter and more immune to injury. And pitches should be better and smoother-70s pitches would be more likely to cause knocks and injuries. It's definetly an easier lifestyle and some players might not work hard enough, but then you'd think those ones wouldn't get playing time anyway

Massive blow for us.

He's our best defender in my opinion, and one of our most consistent players and most important. :(

Looks like it's RIP for Herman's career, and our FA Cup hopes :'(

Back