TheFMZone

Reaction score
Introduction

OK, so here goes my first attempt at a Football Manager story, I apologise in advance for the writing style and my unprofessional approach to this story, but I feel like this story could interest a few people on here. I hope you enjoy.

This save is based around a side found in Level 12 of English football, the lowest division I could find! I wanted to take a local team right to the top of English and European football, this led me to a decision between a few local teams; Hessle Rangers, Hessle Sporting and Hessle United. I went with the latter and was announced the new Hessle United manager. My decision for picking United over the other two sides was for the sole reason that I had never heard of them before, despite living in the local area. So if I have never heard of them who else will, therefore I hope to lead not only a Level 12 team to the top, but a completely unknown team to the top, a team so unknown that even some of the locals don’t know they exist.

However as I begin to write this I am already 3 seasons in (completed in 3 days, sad I know) so the next few posts will be a recap of the first 3 seasons, with the best performers and any coaching changes included in each update.

I will hopefully come back with the first part of the story later tonight, thanks for reading.

Also, as this is my first story any help/advice would be appreciated in order to improve the story.

I'd certainly never heard of them before, but looking forward to learning more! :)

Season 14/15: Invincible
This season will be reviewed all in the one post.
Arsenal who? Hessle United have this season done what many thought was impossible by finishing the season without losing a game. Granted this was in the Humber League 1st Division which only includes 10 teams each only playing 18 games. Despite this it's a great first year in Football Management for myself.

View attachment 239139

Pre Season was tough, I never manage friendlies but the first few losses didn’t give me too much enthusiasm for the season ahead. However as soon as I got involved and started managing the team I realised how good the squad I had assembled was. This squad was so impressive it led to the total domination of the league which ended up with us winning the league by a country mile.

View attachment 239140

The Tactic/Best Eleven

When I joined I had a huge job, wanting to get promoted as quick as possible I set out to sign many players to create a large squad and as the club had an amateur status there would be no cost for players. I played a simple 4-4-2 with the only instructions as play more direct and exploit the wings.
View attachment 239141

Steve Bruce once said ‘You’re only as good as your strikers’ this made me instantly want to get two players who could bang them in for fun upfront. The midfield had two pacey wingers with a playmaker (Newton) alongside a Ball Winning midfielder who played at International Level through the season, only Niger but still a big player for this level. Full backs weren’t a major concern in the first year but the centre halves and Goalkeeper had to be quality, and that is just what I got in Streete, Jones and Christensen (whom I preferred over Coy.)

Player of the Season

My top 3 players for this season where easy to pick; Dossou, Bisungu and Guedioura. 3rd​ place would be Guedioura, a player who signed on a free after leaving Nottingham Forest 2 years previous dropping down many divisions to get his chance again, notched up a decent total. 2nd​ place would be the Niger International, Dossou, the team revolved around him as he controlled the midfield and led the team forward despite not having the armband. In 1st​ would obviously be Bisungu who scored 16 goals in 15 games which is impressive at any level, he and Guedioura fired the team to the League title.​

Season 15/16
This season will be reviewed all in the one post.

Another good season for Hessle United, winning the York Football League with plenty of games to spare. After the 14/15 season I felt like this squad could go on to win this league without any changes, however as we all know changes have to be made on Football Manager as in real life.

Coupled with the promotion we also got entered into the FA Vase, which I would rather not talk about due to the poor performance, getting knocked out in the Second Qualifying Round is something that I did not want in a ‘Vase’ that I felt I could win or at least get to the last 8.
View attachment 239122

However the squad that I assembled, new signings combined with those that stayed from the previous season was strong enough to win the league, finishing 19 points above my closest challenger, unfortunately not another unbeaten season but it was still as convincing as the last. Another league title was the best thing I could ask for.
View attachment 239121

Important players left, Dossou and Bisungu both departed to Semi Professional Clubs meaning I couldn’t compete with the contracts being offered to them. Richard Stirrup and Jordan Patrick were their replacements, both becoming key players for the season.
View attachment 239120

Player of the Season

Player of the season was much tougher this year than the previous one, with many players having an unbelievable season. The 3 nominees were Andre Streete, Jordan Patrick and Nabil Guedioura. Third place was Streete who kept the back 4 solid, scoring important goals and keeping plenty of clean sheets. Second again was Nabil, who yet again followed up last season scoring plenty of goals. Similarly to last season he wasn’t the main man, that accolade went to Patrick who came in to replace Bisungu, scoring one more goal in the same amount of games as Bisungu, the perfect replacement picked up Player of the Season.​