ryandormer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm playing as arsenal using a 4-1-2-3 formation. My midfield three is DM(d), CM(s) and CM(a). I play a very fluid system. I try not to make too many changes to the team instructions, with only roam from position and shorter passing selected so far.

I want my team to push up a bit more, and play more of the game in the opposition half. When I look at the team analysis, Only my front three have an average position in the opposition half, whereas most of my opponents (including the weaker ones) have more advanced average positions.

Should I:

1) Increase the mentality;
2) Select a higher or much higher line;
3) Close down more or much more; or
4) A combination of the above?

Thanks

Which mentality are you using at the moment?

It sounds lik/ I assume you are playing 'Standard' but just upping it to Control may have the desired effect. This will pretty much tick all the boxes for you, it just depends how much of an increase you are after.

The 4-1-2-3 is a nice formation to play with that mentality - I use a DLP/D in the defensive midfield role though when pressing higher.

Just wanted to give an update.

I tried changing the mentality to control, which worked quite well but didn't do exactly what I wanted.

I then set the mentality back to standard with a much higher defensive line. I didn't change closing down, as I thought much higher line and more closing down would leave me with pretty much no defensive shape.

The results have been good - I beat Bayern Munich 2-0 away from home, for example. I lost away to Chelsea, but they're in good form.

The best game was the last against West Ham. They had just beaten Man City 4-1. I beat them 3-0.

Stats:
View attachment 52357
Average position:
View attachment 52356
As you can see, on average, only my back four were in my own half, and even they averaged a position very close to the half-way line.

I'll keep trying this and see what happens.

I guess your average position would also depend on the way your opponent is playing, and if you are home/away - the opponents defensive line could push you further back even if you play a high line.