High tempo + retain possession = works?

michelhovel

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As the title, does high tempo or much higher tempo + retain possession can work?
Assuming i have players with high first touch, passing, vision, anticipation etc...

Hello everyone,

As the title, does high tempo or much higher tempo + retain possession can work?
Assuming i have players with high first touch, passing, vision, anticipation etc...
That's a massively general question. It'll depend entirely on the rest of the setup (as always) and, as always, basically anything can work if properly set up.

Hello everyone,

To me, it's like telling someone to drive at 5 miles p/h in 5th gear.... Yeah, it's possible but why make it work for the sake of it.

There are two types of possession retention
  1. Defensive: Where you ensure nothing is risked and you play safe.
  2. Aggressive: Where you rely on the technical skill of the players to maintain possession while allowing their creativity to seek high-risk opportunities.
Both are Retaining possession but which you try to do depends on the players at your disposal. Think of a play style as the end product. You need to figure out the behind-the-scenes instructions to deliver these styles of play. 9 times out of 10, a style will be linked more to the Players PPMs, than the Tactic. To me, a tactic is used to get the best out of the players, not using the players to get the best out of a tactical shape.

Disclaimer: This is just my footballing philosophy and I've spent years developing it in my head and coaching style. It's not a full proof system or the only way. It's just how I look at Football.

Just the mentality already will make a massive difference.

Defensive + Much higher tempo = around average tempo or maybe slightly higher than average.

Attacking + much higher tempo = Madness and pass as soon as the ball lands at your feet.

Each mentality has default settings.

Retain Possession reduces through balls (so reduces passing options but also the potential to give the ball away) and lowers tempo.

If you're genuinely going for a high tempo setup as well, you need players of a world class level technically and mentally to pull it off.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but I'm glad TIs are gone in FM16. People think that "Retain Possession" is a magic button that ensures you have 60%+ possession automatically.

Hello, thank you for the response.
View attachment 957862

What's you impression?
That you'll get a fright when you see it in action.

Why not actually try it yourself? Btw, I'd love to know how the tactic is supposed to work (the idea behind it) and your reasons for each TI.

Last edited:
relax guys, im not a veteran like you on this game.
irl i have a lot of expirience as a football player.
I play this simulation game just to have fun, i can ensure you there are many other ways you can control the real life game but it doesn't work on this game.
I simply asked because i was really curious if it can work on this game.
seems like not everything in this game is familiar for me, English isn't my main language so there are many things that i assume i miss due to my lack of English or just misunderstood the meaning but atleast im trying to learn English properly.

Brendn, I wasn't next to the computer, i don't remember all the feature in this game so i couldn't provide any other details.
My thought is that someone could share his experience with the game with the mentality and current instructions that i've mentions on the title (apparently WJ did on his 2nd comment, that i was expecting for people to share there experience, that's what people does in forums as long as i remember)
you could just answer nicely or asking me to give more details like WJ asked on his 1st comment.

Btw: i posted the screenshot before i saw the response from Brendn

Last edited:
Like I said, retain possession and much higher tempo can work, but it depends on the rest of the setup.

Firstly, I'd read Lines and Diamonds by THOG and in particular the section on TIs. Then form a plan for how you want to play.

The tactic doesn't seem like it has any purpose, tbh.

Brendn, I wasn't next to the computer, i don't remember all the feature in this game so i couldn't provide any other details.
My thought is that someone could share his experience with the game with the mentality and current instructions that i've mentions on the title (apparently WJ did on his 2nd comment, that i was expecting for people to share there experience, that's what people does in forums as long as i remember)
you could just answer nicely or asking me to give more details like WJ asked on his 1st comment.

I did answer nicely. I told you my experience and how I view possession as a tool to utilize and how I try to create those conditions on the pitch. If you don't like the reply, move on.

Of course it works. I play that way in FM. It means not rushing and work hard but move the ball around quicker, something like Barca style if you add shorter passing.