JMocks

Go Spurs!
Reaction score
I've been reading here lately its good to use "Higher Defensive Line" against bigger opponents. Is it safe to play it against smaller opponents as well? Or does it have a reverse effect? If I shouldn't use it against smaller opponents, what should I use? Thanks!

It should be more safe against smaller opposition due to them being weaker and less able to exploit the reduced space.
IT all depends if you have players who can play in that way
I had lots of problems setting it up with my 4 2 3 1 but got a few intelligent CB , turned off use offside trap and switched the MC to DMC , switched one CB to Cover and in my 3rd year with Dinamo playing in the champions league playoffs eventho i had Juventus Chelsea and Valencia ( lost only 1 game 6 4 to chelsea 5 goals from set pieces)
But everything can work , u just have to figure out if you have the personal for it or how it fits with the rest of your tactics

using high defensive line depends also on what style your opponent is using. if you're oponent is parking the buss & playing counter with a lot of long balls over your defenders like a typical huge underdog, it's not a good idea to use high defensive line.

if I see oponnents are playing really low, I do change to deep defensive line. With that his long balls wont be dangerous as they're and we'll have some more space in my attacking area as the players are spread a bit better on the pitch

It's usually good against the top teams because they tend to play a more expressive and controlling type and by having a high line you can reduce the space they have to play in. It can work fine for smaller teams too but you need to be aware of how they play.
Teams that like to hit you on the counter can be a real issue if you're playing with a high line and your CBs aren't the best. For the vast majority of games you'll be perfectly fine with it, just remember to keep an eye out and try to learn what teams are playing how if you can so you're ready to make small changes when you need too.