Reaction score
Ho Ho Ho We're Magic

Before I start, this will run alongside my Ipswich story (The Tractor Boy). Hopefully I can keep both stories going at a reasonable pace!!

View attachment 161432

"...Robby Francois is a hallowed name with Genk. Born into a family of Waterschei Thor fans, the continued their support after 1988 rebrand to Koninkliije Racing Club Genk. Francois himself joined the clubs academy in 1990 and progressed through to the first team in 1995, at the age of 16.
After 5 seasons, and in 2000, he joined Barclays Premier League side Ipswich Town upon their return to the top flight. After 2 seasons, he left on a free transfer, after his contract expired leaving him free to return to his boyhood club. Sadly, he failed to rediscover the form that attracted the big European clubs, making less and less appearances for the club due to injury and poor form.
In his final playing season, during the 2010-11 season, he helped the club to win their third ever Belgian title scoring 8 goals in is 12 appearances before announcing his retirement from professional football after the title winning draw against Standard Liege.

After his retirement, Francois undertook a coaching job with KRC Genk's youth teams, eventually progressing to coaching with the first team while working under head of recruitment Dimitri de Conde, encouraging the club to bring through young players such as Kevin de Bruyne and Christian Benteke..."

I heard a massive crash as the doors to the chairmans office slammed open, Peter Maes charging in, furious about the transfer of Jelle Vossen to Burnley underneath his nose. As the doors closed, the shouting fading away while we stood outside, trying to understand what was going on. We all knew Peter had a short fuse, occasionally blowing his top in training but this was on a different level, he was tearing the chairman apart. Suddenly, silence fell across the corridor and we tried to take in what he just said "I quit"?! No, this is the worse possible start to the season, and we can't have another one like last year, we can't afford to miss out on Europe again.

Ho Ho Ho We're Magic

View attachment 161426

Following Peter Maes' walkout, I knew I'd be called into the chairman's office, I was hoping to dear god that I wouldn't be let go, Genk is my life! So naturally, I was walking into the office with my heart in my throat, and sweat pouring down my brow.

Chairman - Good morning Robby, thank you for coming in to talk with me today. Firstly, you can stop worrying, we're going to keep you on, that is provided you accept our offer to renegotiate your contract.

Me - Well, thank you for keeping me on, but what do you mean renegotiate?

Chairman - We'd like you to manage the side this season, to provide us with some stability. It would start with a one year deal, potentially moving to a long term deal depending on results.

Me - Yes! I'll happily do the job! My god, thank you so much, I won't let you down!!

As I walked out of the office, it hit me. I was the manager of the club I'd supported since I was born, the club who'd given me the chance to live my dream as a professional footballer. I was over the moon.