Hockey

Going to a summer camp later in the holidays and then looking forward to a whole season with my club and school team, hoping one day I can represent Scotland.

Ice hockey is the best sport there is, its a shame there are no new hockey manager games being released like the EHM 2007. One day I will go to California and watch my San Jose Sharks play.

Canadians Never say no to Hockey. its our Sport. !!! ;P

team-canada-pic.jpg

but European teams are good to mainly Russians, and Scandinavian teams.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Ice hockey is the best sport there is, its a shame there are no new hockey manager games being released like the EHM 2007. One day I will go to California and watch my San Jose Sharks play.

but there is EA NHL series and Nhl 2k versions available. ;)

Last edited:
A sad, sad day in hockey today as an airplane crashed in Russia today. Wiped out the whole team of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, a team playing in the highest tier of russian hockey, KHL. Two survivors. One of them is Aleksander Galimov, 26 year old hockeyplayer, has 3rd degree burns covering 80% of his body. According to surgeons he's not going to survive.

I've cried the whole day as one of my idols and also the big brother of a friend lost his life in the crash, 30 year old Stefan Liv from Sweden. Olympic gold medalist, World cup medalist and three time Swedish champion. Life is so ******* unfair.

Forever missed, never forgotten.

Indeed, I saw that in the news today, Horrible tragedy. Saw Alexander Vasyunov play a few games for the Devils last season on TV, looked a decent player.

Sad day for the whole hockey/Ice Hockey world today.

sad days for russia, but terible flight record for Russia too i believe, i think the last being that poland incidenct.

what was the airplane type, like a boieng 777 ?

sad days for russia, but terible flight record for Russia too i believe, i think the last being that poland incidenct.

what was the airplane type, like a boieng 777 ?

No, it was a Yak-42D, some old Soviet-model kind of airplane, which was even deemed too unsafe to fly in EU. I wonder why they took that kind of flight.. Wasn't there better alternatives? They could've been all alive now...

No, it was a Yak-42D, some old Soviet-model kind of airplane, which was even deemed too unsafe to fly in EU. I wonder why they took that kind of flight.. Wasn't there better alternatives? They could've been all alive now...

that plane is pettry old school. russia should change there aircraft after this incident. an a380 would be great :p

it was Lokomotiv's team plane ... every team in KHL has it's own plane

it was Lokomotiv's team plane ... every team in KHL has it's own plane

Actually, it was a chartered plane. Atleast of what I've heard. But that's not the point..

They're playing hockey and making magic in another, better place now..

FIELD HOCKEY! WOO!!
yeah! ... n stuff.

Have been playing it for 26 years. :D

I put football above it. Considering everything is done via feet (control, movement, blah blah blah) it's a technically (and techniquely) higher sport... however maybe not by so much anymore. Still is, just not as much as it used to be.

Indoor hockey world cup in Poznan was brilliant, the EHL finals weekend sensational, Chamions trophy (coming up) is always terrific.
Am planning the trip to Utrecht for 2014 World Cup. It's going to be combined, so Mens and the oh-so-hot Womens will all be played in the Stadion Galenwaard.

Field Hockey, basketball, Euro handball (probably most enjoyable sport to watch at Olympics) is a bit of a cheat considering legs to movement whilst hands control the ball, even via a stick.

BIG BIG BIG NEWS for ice hockey fans and especially for NHL fans

NHL 2.0 - New Four-Conference Realignment Format starting from season 12/13

The NHL's Board of Governors has made a decision on a plan for NHL realignment.

The league has approved a new four-conference format that is expected to be implemented next season. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman will also speak to the NHLPA before implementing the changes.

The discussion and vote to approve the new realignment plan at the NHL Board of Governors meetings in Pebble Beach, California took an hour on Monday. A total of 26 teams voted in favour of the plan with four teams opposing it.

The realignment became necessary when the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and became the Jets.

The plan finalized on Monday would see four separate conferences established to replace the current two-conference, six-division system.
The proposed new conferences would be arranged to accommodate both geographic proximity as well as established rivalries.

The existing Northeast division would be expanded to include the league's two Florida-based teams, making a conference of: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Meanwhile, the existing Atlantic Division would gain two teams for a seven-team conference including: Carolina, New Jersey, the New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

The Winnipeg Jets would be the only Canadian team in an expanded Central Division that would also include Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis.

Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver would remain together in a proposed Western Conference that also includes Anaheim, Colorado, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Jose.
While the new schedule presents new challenges for all 30 teams, Bettman believes the solution works best for the needs of all the league's teams.
"This is not a subject that everybody is going to get their first choice on," said Bettman. "What you try to do is come up with something that everybody can live with, get comfortable with and understand the value of."

Many early realignment proposals centred on moving either Detroit or Columbus to the Eastern Conference. However, choosing between the wishes of those two teams was not a call the league wanted to make, according to Bettman.

Also, the idea of moving one team often created a domino effect for other teams in terms of their own travel schedules
"If you asked 30 clubs you probably would get 30 different solutions," Bettman mused.

The realignment is aimed at evening out the travel schedules for all NHL teams with each team playing teams outside their conference twice per year, once at home and on the road.

For the players it presents new rivalries and a chance to face every team in the league.

"As players, you want to see everybody, you want to go to every city," said Senators forward Jason Spezza. "I think that's going to be a real positive."
Others, meanwhile, are already looking ahead to a change in competition.

"It's going to be a tough division, but that's down the road right now," said Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos, who suddenly finds himself in a conference with the likes of Boston, Montreal and Toronto. "They spent a lot of time on it and obviously made the right decision in their mind."

One of the biggest changes will be to the league's schedule.
In the seven-team conferences, teams would play each other six times - three home, three away. In the eight-team conferences, a bit more maneuvering would be required.

Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.

The playoff format would also undergo changes, harkening back to the divisional playoff format last employed by the league during the 1992-93 season.
The top four teams in each conference would qualify for the playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; while second and third-place finishers would square off. The four conference champions would meet in the third round of the playoffs, with the last two clubs playing for the Stanley Cup.

NHL general managers will determine the playoff structure after round two in the proposed realignment.
The concept of re-seeding is a strong contender, however the league wants the general managers' input before implementing.

Source: NHL approves new four-conference realignment format

The new setup. 4 conferences, 8 teams in each.

nhlnew.jpg

Last edited: