Hodgson warns Man Utd off Reina

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 2K
Lol Pepe aint going nowhere. Just buy Stekelenburg, mancs, you won't regret it, trust me.

I don't over-rate Reina, but I am not going to follow the crowd of some Manchester United fans and say that I wouldn't like for him to join United.

Yes, he may be playing infront of the Kop week in, week out, with a 6-year contract that yearns loyalty with the club, but who wouldn't want Reina? A world-class goalkeeper that, on his day, which is everyday tbh, is one of the best goalkeepers in the world and surpasses most.

Despite being the understudy to Iker Casillas on international level for Spain, I am sure that, if Casillas wasn't as good as he is/never existed, either Real Madrid would have gotten him already, or Liverpool would have him but Madrid would hound them persistently. He would definitely be gaining more caps and, quite possibly, be a legendary figure in the Spanish setup.

Reina should be Liverpool captain. Period. No disrespect to Stevie, but I have the feeling that if Stevie wasn't scouse he wouldn't have got the armband.

Apparently there is a claue in his contract allowing him to leave for a certain fee in january? Not to sure whether it is true, just something i have heard. Maybe that why he might come to united.

He is a good keeper, VDS does need replacing at the end of the season. Just wouldnt want him in january as One of then would have to be on the bench. "2 great keepers, one on the bench is horrible.

Reina should be Liverpool captain. Period. No disrespect to Stevie, but I have the feeling that if Stevie wasn't scouse he wouldn't have got the armband.

If Stevie wasn't scouse he'd be at Chelsea

If he can do the job for his country, he can certainly do it for his club.

can we not talk about gerrards ability to captain a side

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

im not sure about the clause, the source is the mirror, the same paper who broke the "rooney to city" story

In the top 3 best goalkeepers in the world for me, why we would sell him to United is beyond me. 3 assists last season and the amount of goals he starts with his quick distribution is quite amazing. Top goalkeeper with a great attitude. Don't reckon he would move to United personally, he really does love Liverpool. When he renewed his contract at the start of this season he said he wanted his kids to grow up in Liverpool and learn scouse :wub:

can we not talk about gerrards ability to captain a side

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

im not sure about the clause, the source is the mirror, the same paper who broke the "rooney to city" story

reinatorres.jpg

Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina are ready to quit Liverpool in January thanks to secret escape clauses in their contracts.
The Spain internationals made the get-out agreements with their Anfield bosses in the summer when they were persuaded to stay despite the departure of Spanish boss Rafa Benitez.
Now Torres and Reina, key to Roy Hodgson’s attempts to steer the club away from the relegation zone, want out after promises of major team investment went unfulfilled.
Mirror Sport understands the pair will tell the club in December they wish to leave, with Manchester City keen on £50 million Torres and Manchester United and Arsenal pursuing £20m Reina.
The double whammy will devastate Liverpool fans who hoped John W Henry’s purchase of the club would bring the glory days back to Anfield.
Instead, the American has made it clear there will be no major spending in January, and with many players unhappy with the direction the club is taking under Hodgson, Torres and Reina are ready to make a move.
Torres was talked into staying in the summer when a three man delegation flew to Madrid for secret talks with with the striker’s representatives on July 14 - three days after the World Cup Final.
It is understood Torres lawyer Margarita Pilar Garay-Bret and Jose Antonio Martin were present at the meeting.
One member of the delegation remained in Madrid to speak directly with Torres before returning to Liverpool confident the Spaniard would stay.
Torres and Spanish teammate Reina - a powerful voice in the dressing room - were both poised to quit Liverpool at the time with Chelsea having tabled a £50 million bid for Torres while Arsenal had offered £20 million for Reina.
Both were upset at the lack of investment, the club’s failure to secure Champions League status and the grim reality of their Premiership title hopes.
Torres was eventually persuaded to remain at Liverpool after three days of talks - during which the delegation described in detail plans laid out specifically by Christian Purslow, the club’s chief executive who quit last week following the sale of the club.
Torres was told the new owners - that were not identified to him - were in place and ‘days’ away from completing the Liverpool takeover.
It is claimed he was told Roy Hodgson’s appointment was a temporary measure and a big name manager was already lined up - armed with a £100 million transfer kitty offered as a ‘quick fix’ to drag the club back on terms with Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City.
It is understood Liverpool planned to spend £50 million in the summer with a further £50 million available in January for targets no longer chasing Champions League ambitions.
Torres and Reina reluctantly agreed to stay at Anfield - but only on condition they each had an escape clause written into their contracts.
Mirror Sport can reveal the pair are now furious at the subsequent takeover - not directly with new American owner John W Henry or New England Sports Venture - but with the management team they feel misled them over the club’s future.
Hodgson has been told there will be no marquee signings in the January transfer window leaving Torres and Reina feeling they have wasted a season.
Insiders at Anfield fear that without Champions League qualification the club will struggle to make a profit - but crucially then have nothing to offer potential big name signings.
Mirror Sport revealed on Tuesday that Reina has been targeted by Sir Alex Ferguson for a sensational switch to Manchester United - and that now could happen in January.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will resume his quest to sign the keeper and the immediate lure of Champions League football will prove a massive draw for the World Cup winner.
Torres will have his pick of clubs - even though the ‘big’ clubs very rarely make marquee signings in January because most major players are cup tied - thanks to Liverpool’s failure to qualify for this season’s Champions League.
Representatives of Torres and Reina did not respond to attempts to contact them yesterday.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...dy-to-pounce-article614763.html#ixzz13fSBSqeZ

Personally?
i think it's all a load of bollocks and the mirror are just trying to sell papers as there's no new scandal for them to repor...

Personally?
i think it's all a load of bollocks and the mirror are just trying to sell papers as there's no new scandal for them to repor...
like i said im sceptical aboout the release clause. I'll believe it when it comes from a better source

it wasn't orginally posted by Calum, Ben ! it was the mirror

I know mate, you posted the article though, hence it being quoted from you. Changed it for you ;)

Personally?

Lets hope so. There is only 2/3 keepers in the world, that are up there with Reina.

Casillas
Julio Cesar
Cech?

I know mate, you posted the article though, hence it being quoted from you. Changed it for you ;)

Lets hope so. There is only 2/3 keepers in the world, that are up there with Reina.

Casillas
Julio Cesar
Cech?
buffon as well, imo the finest keeper of the last decade

Back