Hodgson was 'unlucky' at Anfield

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Former Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson says he was unlucky in his brief ill-fated time at Anfield but he does not regret it.

More...

No. He was just... ****. He's better off managing a club like Fulham.

I can see why he doesn't regret it. He would have been stupid to turn us down. I do feel sorry for him as I think he is a good manager but Liverpool was just out of his comfort zone. Nobody involved in the club took pleasure in seeing him fail and if they did they are not true Liverpool supporters.

He failed at Liverpool due to the fact he wouldnt change his ways. He has played a certain type of football for 35 years (so he liked to inform us) and didnt see any reason why he should change that. The type of football he wanted was suited to a fulham or a west brom, where you go out to every away game lookin to avoid defeat rather than lookin to win! His signings were terrible bar one (Raul) his press conferences were a shambles and his attitude towards the supporters was awful so all in all he wasnt unlucky he was just found out to be a very very average manager at best

No he was just ****.. went in to every game with a defensive mindset and tried knicking a 1-0 win... its perfectly alright for fulham, west brom but for someone like liverpool its ruined our season

he is a good manager for mid table teams but top 6 teams he is not good enough

Last edited:
Its typical that Liverpool supporters would state that Hodgson was 'found out'. I disagree. He joined a club in turmoil, whichever way you look at it he inherited a poor squad, the whole club was lacking motivation, the boardroom was in turmoil, the club was about to be taken over.

Problems were endless. Granted he didnt have a good start or a good time but it would have been difficult for any manager coming from outside the club to walk in and perform miracles without knowing the ins and outs of everything. He never seemed the new owners choice, the fans chanting for another manager cant help in any situation, and frankly the players didnt seem to want to try for him, except prehaps Raul M, who obviously needed time to settle in England.

As for the tactics, imo you started the season as a team that would need to play like that, like a lower club, because you were so poor. Granted it probably didnt help but 'King Kenny' isnt exactly setting the world on fire offensively or tactically with his 5 defenders is he?

Its typical that Liverpool supporters would state that Hodgson was 'found out'. I disagree. He joined a club in turmoil, whichever way you look at it he inherited a poor squad, the whole club was lacking motivation, the boardroom was in turmoil, the club was about to be taken over.

Problems were endless. Granted he didnt have a good start or a good time but it would have been difficult for any manager coming from outside the club to walk in and perform miracles without knowing the ins and outs of everything. He never seemed the new owners choice, the fans chanting for another manager cant help in any situation, and frankly the players didnt seem to want to try for him, except prehaps Raul M, who obviously needed time to settle in England.

couldnt disagree with you more.. dalglish came in with exact same squad brought confidence and ATTACKING football and it has worked a charm compared to start of season... meireles was being played outta position under hodgson.. as soon as dalglish comes in he plays he CM and he wins player of the month and has been outstanding
yes it must have been hard but he didnt help himself

Oh I couldnt agree more about him not helping himself, he did kind of shoot himself in the foot.

Yes, Dalglish inherited the same players, but Dalglish had been around the club more more than Hodgson, he understood the problems and the inner workings of the club, he had the support of the fans and the boardroom.

Really hoping you boys tonk Utd today.

As for the tactics, imo you started the season as a team that would need to play like that, like a lower club, because you were so poor. Granted it probably didnt help but 'King Kenny' isnt exactly setting the world on fire offensively or tactically with his 5 defenders is he?
he is playing with 3 defenders and two defensive wingers. there is a difference.

Roy was doomed to fai from the start. as almost every liverpool fan in the world new he wasnt good enough, and wanted Kenny to have the job.

Yeah I know there is a difference, wing backs for me still primarily are defenders though.

No he was just ****.. went in to every game with a defensive mindset and tried knicking a 1-0 win... its perfectly alright for fulham, west brom but for someone like liverpool its ruined our season

he is a good manager for mid table teams but top 6 teams he is not good enough

I like the way you put "top 6 teams" just because Fulham came 7th that time :P

Granted it probably didnt help but 'King Kenny' isnt exactly setting the world on fire offensively or tactically with his 5 defenders is he?

Actually, the reason we beat chelsea was because of kennys tactics, those wingbacks meant we would always have 1 more player defending than they did attacking whilst giving them license to go forward and get crosses in.

i love the man, but the results show that he didnt do well...Good luck to him.

Hodgson is more of a lower league manager or mid table manager, see how he did in Fulham. I guess he is under a lot of pressure because Liverpool is failing and he was somehow forced to bounce back in an instant.

Yeah I know there is a difference, wing backs for me still primarily are defenders though.

yea but although he is playing 3 or 5 at the back the way were passing moving ETC is so much better.. we just lack creative quality which we need to get in the window but hodgson just didnt even try.. all he did was set the stall out and hope for a 1-0.. was the most boring thing to watch ive ever seen

Really nice guy, and a club like West Brom will do him nicely, he'll just look to secure a place in the Prem each season, instead of them being such a yo-yo team.

Just imagine what LFC Could of done with dalglish at the start of the year?
were only 9 points or whatever off 4th now with one of our worst starts in recent history

Nice to dream :P

Just imagine what LFC Could of done with dalglish at the start of the year?
were only 9 points or whatever off 4th now with one of our worst starts in recent history

Nice to dream :P

You wont finish 4th, no way.

Back