Desmond91

Reaction score
If selected to a player makes him to keep the ball dictating tempo but not moving with the ball? (Otherwise it would be the equivalent of "Run With Ball")

Or just looking to increase possession through simple(and futile) passes to other teammates?

I want a game with ball possession and passes _ .. But my fear is when a player with "Hold Up Ball" receives the ball he tries to keep it stuck to her foot instead of making a first touches..

What do you think?

Hold up Ball is used when you want a player do await his passing decision or pass until his teammates has go into a better attacking position/further up the field. Player suited for this are mostly Target man and Deep coming players. If you are not using any of these players in the trasition phase, then you are better of without it

What do you mean with "Target man" and "Deep coming players"?

What do you mean with "Target man" and "Deep coming players"?

Just what I wrote, players that acts like linkmen in the transition phase. Deep coming and Deeplying players, and the Advanced TM to.

Last edited:
Can you give me an example of these players in a real team?

Can you give me an example of these players in a real team?

Attackers

Target Men and/or Deep coming attackers: Crouch, Dzeko, Rooney, etc etc
Defensive Wingers: Very few teams use them now adays but if using a flat 442 and having overlaping fullbacks, then your wingers are holding ones
Central Mids
MC´s: Well, here you can have ballwinners that awaits the wingers before butting a ball out wide, a deeplying playmaker awaiting the attackers to move into channels etc etc
DMC´s: Defensive and Hardworking DMCs that breaks up attacks and holds the ball until his partner gets into free space: DMC playmakers: So many of these in real life: De Jong, Carrick, Song, Barry

Last edited:
So in attack can be a player who holds the ball waiting for openings ...
And on defense, a player in front of the defense that the action starts?

So in attack can be a player who holds the ball waiting for openings ...
And on defense, a player in front of the defense that the action starts?

Yes, players that by ppms and your tactical instructions are those that are in the transition phase. Like you wrote in the OP, it depends on how you want to play. If you want your DMC to get the ball forward to your AMR/L quikcly, then dont let hom hold on to your ball. If you want him to pass the ball to the MC, then let him hold on to it.