Holloway bemoans penalty decision

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway bemoans the decision by referee Peter Walton not to award his side a penalty during Tuesday's loss to Manchester United.

More...

He's right, had Walton given it, I reckon Blackpool would have went on to win the game. And it was a penalty, no doubt about it.

bla bla bla Ben.... thats how we role.... :p

on a serious note, there is a discrepancy between fouls in the box and fouls in the field, refs are more leniant on fouls given in the box in comparison to on the field as it is a game changer...

just because a foul is given outside the box for something small that same foul in the box WONT be given as a penalty as it is not worthy of a penalty, only a normal foul on the field!

now alot say well a foul is a foul is a foul, there are different types from a refs perspective!

i was ******** when Rafael did that last night, I would have def thought long and hard as a ref about it, but it was a 50/50 and thats how he plays and the Blackpool player would have never have gotten to the ball in time anyway as he kicked it too far out of his control..

Last edited:
bla bla bla Ben.... thats how we role.... :p

on a serious note, there is a discrepancy between fouls in the box and fouls in the field, refs are more leniant on fouls given in the box in comparison to on the field as it is a game changer...

just because a fowl is given outside the box for something small that same fowl in the box WONT be given as a penalty as it is not worthy of a penalty, only a normal fowl on the field!

now alot say well a fowl is a fowl is a fowl, there are different types from a refs perspective!

i was ******** when Rafael did that last night, I would have def thought long and hard as a ref about it, but it was a 50/50 and thats how he plays and the Blackpool player would have never have gotten to the ball in time anyway as he kicked it too far out of his control..

Rafael never went anywhere near the ball though, he fully intended to take the Blackpool player out, it was a penalty and nothing anyone says will make me think otherwise. Referee's are nowhere near consistent enough tbh.

It was definitely a pen, and if you watch the interview he doesn't moan about it - he says it was a penalty, but gives full credit to Man Utd for winning.

And Raikan, why are you talking about birds? This is about a foul!

Holloway interviews are always class. He just mentioned once about penalty and then he praised United for the comeback.

This is my post from match day thread.

Surprised that no one is talking about Blackpool first goal. Adam clearly elbowed Evra, which should have been given foul, was not given. The resulting corner lead to first goal where we were defending with 10 men as Evra didnt take his position.

Holloway interviews are always class. He just mentioned once about penalty and then he praised United for the comeback.

This is my post from match day thread.
To be honest Ref might of been at an angle where he couldn't of seen it, nobodys fault really.

To be honest Ref might of been at an angle where he couldn't of seen it, nobodys fault really.

Exactly. Same can be said that Ref didnt think it was penalty isn't it. On the end of the day both got decisions in favor and against.

Exactly. Same can be said that Ref didnt think it was penalty isn't it. On the end of the day both got decisions in favor and against.
I think the penalty was slightly more obvious than the elbow to be honest, but I see your point.

Firstly I'd like to say, BBC Sport should be banned from here. does my head in never follows rules and makes constant pointless threads! There was no need to start a new thread. It could be easily posted in Blackpool vs Man Utd thread.

He didn't complain about the pen at all he mentioned it saying it was and left it at that.

Personally I thought from the first tackle it was a stonewaller and it was, I don't think Varney had hit it that far ahead of him tbh and if it was at OT and was Rooney or someone going down at the stretford end - Penalty. No doubts about it.

However it never got given and Utd were the better team after that. **** happens in football.

It's a live feed you fool. <)

Shouldn't be allowed to post though :p seen one the other day someone made the thread 36minutes before the bbc sport thread got made which was then closed, Just pointless having it on when its gonna get put on anyway.

well it was not given, **** happens in football and I am suprised he did not moan about it, if my team conceded 3 goals in the last 20 minutes and lost the match to a undefeated team much superior than mine, It would have done my head in

Was a penalty yes but Holloway should concentrate on the fact his side let a 2 goal lead slip.

Was a penalty yes but Holloway should concentrate on the fact his side let a 2 goal lead slip.

He never complained about the penalty though, This thread is one load of BS. he mentioned it in his interview of course he would, granted though he should sort out losing the lead but many teams have before and theres only 2 simples words that explain why that 2 goal lead slipped "Ryan Giggs"

It definitely was a penalty, and probably would have changed the game. I seriously doubt that United would've been back at 3-0 down, but those are famous last words, aren't they guys ;)

He is a **** who just plays up to the media, he ain't like it at all 'in real life'

much rather listen to him than listen to Wenger or Ferguson winge about various things