Holloway refuses to set targets

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway says it is impossible to know how many points teams will need to guarantee Premier League safety this season.

More...

Usually home and dry with 40 points but the last few seasons has has said you need a lot less, going over 40 points does offer you some security though. However, there was that season where West Ham went down despite accumulating 42 points I think.

You can never tell how many points you will need tbh but I'd say anything between 45-55 wil be good enough tis season imo

Last five seasons have required 31, 35, 37, 39, 35 points to stay up (avoiding finish on GD), currently we're on track (purely in terms of projecting points) for requiring 39 points to stay up, but there are 7 teams with 20-22 points at the bottom of the table atm. He's right not to set a target number, this season is incredibly close throughout the table.

They've already beaten Derby's 11 points. :'(

i think that this season we could see a side go down on a record number of points.
the bottom half of the premiership is very closely bunched up

It's true that is, this season has been so weird, with Liverpool just a few points of relegation, and Blackpool & Bolton seem to be shooting above their expectations.

Fulham are also in the mix after their successful campaign last year, Chelsea poor in form, and United still un-beaten, this could be the best for a while now.

He's 7 points behind Chelsea with a game in hand. I don't think his aim is to "stay up."

This season really has been weird. Big clubs falling by the wayside (except Man Utd), clubs doin great last year in relegation battles. Can't remember a season like it. So many strikers misfiring its unreal. And unless Liverpool get a decent CB, they'll be in a relegation battle, as an Everton fan I'm sadly preparing for one. Thing is, is it because the Premiership isn't as good as it used to be, or is it because fear factor that some clubs used to have, is now gone? Or are so-called great players, being exposed as being unable adapt to English football. Ie climate, types of football being played by different teams? So many questions, that just can't be answered. I for one, just can't put my finger on it. Either way, should be a fantastic final run to the end of the season and I can' t wait for it.

This season really has been weird. Big clubs falling by the wayside (except Man Utd), clubs doin great last year in relegation battles. Can't remember a season like it. So many strikers misfiring its unreal. And unless Liverpool get a decent CB, they'll be in a relegation battle, as an Everton fan I'm sadly preparing for one. Thing is, is it because the Premiership isn't as good as it used to be, or is it because fear factor that some clubs used to have, is now gone? Or are so-called great players, being exposed as being unable adapt to English football. Ie climate, types of football being played by different teams? So many questions, that just can't be answered. I for one, just can't put my finger on it. Either way, should be a fantastic final run to the end of the season and I can' t wait for it.

The bigger teams have been weakened one way or another this season, freeing up more points for the rest of the table and making it a more interesting competition.