digimagpie

Reaction score
So maybe I'm just being an idiot but...I'm playing with Newcastle, in my 5th season. My home form has been amazing, but I just can't seem to keep any consistency away, driving me mad! I rarely seem to be able to win away and the best we ever seem to get is a draw that's been rescued in the last 15 minutes or something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

It seems that especially for the last 2-3 years FM has given the home sides a clear advantage. Home teams pretty much always play a fairly dominant football even against bigger sides. They probably do it on purpose simply because they believe it's a fact of reality, which I partly agree. But it's a bit painful to see whatever your instructions are, your team struggle to control the game, dictate the tempo and play calm. So FM, as always, overdo it by trying to reflect another reality. (like injuries etc.)

Anyways, I had the exact problem and figured I'd do something different. When you try to press and give away clear spaces, since the home sides tend to play more confidently, they usually take advantage of them. It's very hard to break their passing honestly. So I started playing bit more coutiously, like not sending my backs forward too often, getting wide players to join my set-defence etc. You'll give away much less chances and even lead your opponents to push higher up which will obviously give you greater chances to score. If you have a couple of talents you can count on to create chances, this is pretty likely to work.

Cool, thanks I'll give it a go. I think up to this FM I've been able to make a tactic that works well home and away, maybe I'm just being lazy, but this time it doesn't seem to work, although I'm hoping to be able to just tweak the instructions a bit rather than the whole tactic!

It's not the best of ideas to just blindly look at these games as home and away. You won't (shouldn't, unless your team is far better than both) be setting up the same away to Crystal Palace as at home to Man City.

It seems that especially for the last 2-3 years FM has given the home sides a clear advantage. Home teams pretty much always play a fairly dominant football even against bigger sides. They probably do it on purpose simply because they believe it's a fact of reality, which I partly agree. But it's a bit painful to see whatever your instructions are, your team struggle to control the game, dictate the tempo and play calm. So FM, as always, overdo it by trying to reflect another reality. (like injuries etc.)
There isn't that much of a home advantage, so it's very far from correct. Home sides just (usually) are a bit more adventurous than away from home. You can control the game, home or away, if you set up properly for it.

This is frustrating because on my Liverpool save its end of Dec 2015 and undefeated away from home but have lost 3 and drawn 3 at home