home field advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lechia44

Reaction score
Is there a home field advantage for teams playing international tournaments (World Cup, European Championship, Copa, etc.) at home? From experience at the senior level, I'd say no, but at the U21 or U20 the home team often does better than expected (Poland and Ireland both made it to the semis at home). Then again, international tournaments are always listed as being on N or neutral grounds. So what's the truth on this?

well yes. A prime example is this years world cup! You saw a lot of the european teams struggling with the conditions (England, France, Italy) whereas the African teams and other teams who play in similar conditions were fine. Ghana getting to the quarters shows this and they may have gotten to the semis if only they would have scored that penalty.

My question is not about what happens in real life, but rather is there an advantage for the WC host in the game?

That's impossible to tell, I would imagine there is a slight advantage but I doubt anybody knows for sure.

N is neutral, so a game that is played at neither sides ground, most commonly used for world/continental championships but sometimes international friendlies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.