Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
Was just wondering how players get the 'home grown' status for a club?

Is it from being at the same club for x amount of time? Is it being British? (If I'm an English team)
If I sign say a Spanish player at the age of 16, will he become home grown when he's over 21?

Appreciate any help

Reaction score
yes..... the player should stay in the country u play in for atleast 3 years before he's 13 so even if u buy a player who is 18 and spanish, but u manage in EPL, then the player will be home grown after 3 years, provided u don't loan him to some other country

Reaction score
i do it all the time with regens , i dont loan them bt keep them with me till the become home-grown, that too at the club, so no problem registering them in UCL :) and i hv noticed that the players develop more when u keep them rather than loaning them out

Reaction score
Ahh brilliant, just I started with Liverpool and bought loads of wonder kids that I want to be my starting 11 in years to come, I normally try and get quite a few English players so that I have enough home grown ones but I don't need to worry about that now, thanks!

Reaction score
It took me a while to set-up, but I now have feeder club arrangements with three clubs:

Eastleigh are in the Skrill South and they get 17 year-old regens from my Southampton Academy, including several who aren't ever going to be good enough to play for my first team. I don't usually send players to them, rather just accept their requests.

Coventry City are in the Championship and they get any wonder kid foreign players that I have signed who are destined for greatness, but are not yet good enough for my first team. I select the players that I want to go to them and use the Send to affiliate option. While they're there, they can learn English (well, Brummy, anyway!) and/or start the process by which they become naturalised players.

Fiorentina were in Serie B when I made arrangements with them, but then got promoted to Serie A. My intention is that they will get my 19-21 year-old English players that I'm not currently using in the first team squad but do intend to use in future. They've only got one at the moment but I'll aim to send more players next season.

I still accept loan requests for my academy players from other clubs, as long as the club is at the correct level for that particular player (as identified in the text below the 'current ability' rating) and they intend to use him as a Key Player. I find it annoying, though, that you'll often get messages from your own coaching staff to say that the host team is playing the player in the wrong position. I don't care, as long as he's getting a regular game in one of his primary or secondary positions, that's okay - I'm not interested in picking another manager's team for him. There's no way to switch those messages off and speaking to the team's manager about it rarely achieves anything.

I usually have a couple of academy regens or purchased U21 players in the first team squad who I rotate in-and-out of the first and reserve team. I also like to buy young players but loan them back to their original club for a season while older players play out the last year of their contract - as long as they get a regular game for their original club, their 'current ability' will continue to improve and get closer to their 'potential ability', making them a better player when they join you the following summer.

Even the lesser quality regens have their uses. I have sold quite a few 22 year-old academy graduates for prices ranging from 1.5 - 4 million, with 10-or-15% sell-on clauses, after they have been loaned out and played their part in my first team rotation, for a while.

Last edited: