Home-Grown Rules Absurdity

jamie_allan

Reaction score
I want to talk about the home-grown rule. If clubs are going to need to have a squad of 25 players with 8 being home-grown the disparity between the top clubs in the premier league and the clubs lower in the league will increase as young english and welsh talent will be looked for more than foreign youngsters. This will increase the prices of the players and in effect we will get the people who should be playing for England in the coming years being in Tottenham and Aston Villa reserves rather than plying their trade elsewhere. Surely the majority of the top nations have their players playing in many different countries so many different playing styles are learnt by the players. This rule is supposedly set to make England become a better team but surely reducing restriction on nationalities but reducing squad sizes will mean some top english talent will move across to europe to play their football. Players such as Matt Derbyshire who was at Blackburn thrived when they moved to Olympiakos and he has now moved permanently. Repetition of this from a young age may see players playing for England that play league football in Scandinavia, Germany and France. This would also destroy the idea that a climate can win you the World Cup. Why do players that play in Spain and Italy often play for the top nations in the world cup, because they are playing in hotter climates work harder and are fitter so last the whole championships. If you look at the winners of the last two world cups, and last two europen cups you get a total of 96 players of which about a quarter of them did not play in the country they were playing for internationally. This may seem small. However, when you look at the 2002 Brazil side the players that were not playing in Brazil played in Germany, Italy, France and Spain. The 2004 Greece squad played in Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and two were playing in England (Dabizas and Stelios).
The 2006 Italy squad all played in Italy at the time and are one of the only modern international team to win a major trophy with all their players playing in that country. The 2008 Spain side had 18 players in Spain and 5 in England. Now looking at this the data shows that these countries have a nucleus of national talent and some payers who play overseas and bar a small percentage in England play in mainland Western Europe or in the case of Spain and Italy they are a mainland Western Europe country. These championships ahve been played in different climates yet mainland western European based players have done better than british and south american based players. Looking at England we currently have one 'overseas' player which is David Beckham. How many English players do you think play for non-British Europa League and Champions League teams? Im guessing zero maybe one in a Europa League team. Other national sides are spread across Europe and this is the reason England's youth system will not be helped by the home-grown rule.

My eyes. my eyes!! :(

I'd like to talk about punctuation: I recommend it.

Oh, and 'tldr' springs to mind.

Im not even going to attempt reading that all in one go. Il read in small pieces. Anyone care to sum it up?

What a load of tosh fella. It's only going to be good for the game, not worse. Its going to bridge that stupid gap between the top teams and other teams that we've had in this country for the past 10 years or so. It's also going to help the teams in divisions lower as the majority of players that are fringe players at a club and therefore are not going to get picked in the squad of 25 will move down to the championship etc. If you look statisically at the Championship compared to top leagues in Spain, Germany, France, Italy etc then you will see apart from the big clubs, there isn't a lot of difference between the teams. Most players will stay in England as they don't want to shift there families abroad just to play for a middle of the road La Liga team.

I still recommend reducing squad sizes but not introducing the home-grown rule becuase fringe players will stay at lower teams

I would have thought this was against EU Rules?

It wouldn't be allowed in any other job due to ''discrimination'', but it looks like football is exempt from this. If I had an african apply for a job with me and I said I can't employ you because your not ''home-grown'', i'd have trade union up my aris quicker than I can say it!

A Wall Of Textomon appears! Wall Of Textomon criticals for 100,000 damage!

It's going to encourage the buying of foreign players at even younger ages, just to be in England for 3 years to gain Home Grown status.

Isnt it the same in spain?

I would have thought this was against EU Rules?
it would be against eu rules to limit the number of foreign players because that would be discriminating based on nationality but saying you must have at least 8 home grown football players is not against any rules.

This guy raises some decent points.

But it is limiting the number of non-home grown (ie forgeign players). Can only have 17 non home grown players in the squad.

But it is limiting the number of non-home grown (ie forgeign players). Can only have 17 non home grown players in the squad.
oh.oO)

That does seem to be against the rules.

no, it is worded very well,

it states tht a squad must be no more then 25, and there must be 8 home grown players, it doesnt say you are only alowed 17 foriegn players, as you ca have them but you cant register them, like in spain

what would be the point of having players on the payroll you cannot register? the whole basis of my argument is the fact that when you look at the best international teams in the world they generally play in the Big Five nations as i like to call them France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Portugal whereas we have no youth players going abroad. The young Irish/Scottish player James McCarthy was looked at by a lot of foreign teams last year including Barcelona if he had gone to their academy he would have learnt a very different style of playing. In britain we very much favor the box-to-box midfielder your Gerrards and Lampards. Who generally is listed as the best centre midfielders in the world Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta and you could include Kaka these are all players who have been brought through technical youth system that increase your ability with the ball a lot more than other youth systems i have come across. If we say had a player like Michael Johnson of Man City who was very good under Sven in a top Spanish or Italian youth system he may have vastly improved whereas now he is hardly ever seen.

Michael Johnson is always injured now, I feel sorry for him, he was a great player, Collison will become a great though mark my words

well they would be on the payroll, if like a young player on needed 3 to 4 weeks to be classed as home grown they the club would have tht player before there rivals could sign them

but evrybody would try to buy him anyway look at pato other teams in europe were also after him besides milan even though he could not be registered

well, exactly they would buy him, pay him but not be able to play him, it is a king od deterrence of people