Reaction score
When I start my manager campaigns I always say to myself that I am going to sign players from the united kingdom but always end up signing players from all over the place, as players from the united kingdom cost to much! I like to keep my teams majority the home nationality of whatever team I am managing.

Is anyone else the same?

Always say I will but never do
Like you said half the time you can get a player of the same ability for cheaper just because hes not from a big country
Go Bilboa and you're forced to play home grown :p

For the heck of it I took a job in Russia's League 1. Before I played a game I went out and signed some great looking prospects. Get to my first game and it says only 3 foreign players in the starting 11! Uh-oh. Looked at my Russian players and they were total ****. Took me a year to get things straight but the foreign players I scout are always amazing and affordable while the Russian ones are meh. Although it ticked me off at first, I realized what a challenge it presents you as GM and makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

im in 2019 with burnley and have slowly worked my way up the premier league table, now im in the champions league but im havin trouble with the home grown rule :( just wondering if anybody knows how to bring up quality youngsters through your youth ranks?
iv'e got an established youth recruitment, average junior coaching excellent youth facilities and top training facilities

im in 2019 with burnley and have slowly worked my way up the premier league table, now im in the champions league but im havin trouble with the home grown rule :( just wondering if anybody knows how to bring up quality youngsters through your youth ranks?
iv'e got an established youth recruitment, average junior coaching excellent youth facilities and top training facilities

Obviously the PA is a major factor but to get them there they need 4 things in my opinion.

1 - Move the best talent to the reserve side asap or better into the 1st team and mark them as available for the reserves (so as to work with 1st team coaches and get them into the same mentality as the regular players, this avoids any issue when introducing them to 1st team football, such as blending in.)

2 - Tutor them with your best players, remember if it goes well they may pick up traits from them so make sure you're developing positive traits and ones that are complimentary to the type of player you want them to become.

3 - Change their training schedule to build their mental stats early, the physical ones will come with step 4.

4 - Loan them out when they are 19-20, but only to a club with good training and a guarantee of first team football.

Here are 2 of mine I've had since they were 16: View attachment 244549 View attachment 244550

Poach some of the better youth players. I believe they need 3 years under 21 to be counted as home grown. But if you loan them out too often for too long, I believe they'll eventually won't be able be home grown from the club, which is a requirement for the champions league.

In FM2010, I had a Brazilian regen that ended up being club trained because I had identified him and bought him early enough.

picking up on the regens before they turn 18 is the key to it tall, if you sign them before they are 18 and keep them, they will end up as HG at your club regardless of their nationality.

cheers guys iv'e always struggled with youngsters on footy manager ive got my trainig schedules in place but my youngsters dont seem to be getting any better... ive had a 16 yr old striker who was tipped the next owen and hes 21 nah but his stats have stayed the same even though my coach report constantly tells me he's made progress

A nice trick is to sign old players just for tutoring. I got Rivaldo (38/39 years old) in Jan 2012 for a few grand a week wages on a 6 month contract with the intention just to tutor. I have seen improvements from my young striker in the 6 months I had Rivaldo :)