BillHoudini

Reaction score
Chapter one: The Awakening

I've been around football all my life. Started watching seriously ten years ago, when Liverpool had that crazy Champions League run. When I saw Steven Gerrard playing I told my dad "I wanna play football like him!!". My father crashed my dream by saying "If you were that good we would have noticed by now. Don't push your luck because one day a kid more passionate than you, will crash your leg like it's nothing".

My father was a good, caring man, he said those things because he loved me and he always wanted me to follow his footsteps as a man of letters. His job was writing articles about literature, writing books, critics and translating from Russian to Greek or English. In order to play football, he demanded almost perfect grades, but I never gave up. In 2009 a scout from Peramaikos saw me playing in 5 a side match and contacted my parents. My mum supported me all the way because she knew how much I wanted that chance. Fortunately, she convinced my father to give this a try and I signed with them a junior deal, I was 14 back then.

My first season was perfect. I was playing as a Central Midfielder and I was doing wonders. I was always tall and a bit skinny for my height, but I had my tricks up my sleeve. I played in 17 out of 20 matches and scored 13 goals. Then, the parents of my teammates started calling me Houdini, because of my flair and vision.

During my second season injuries begun to overshadow my performances. I played 10 ten times and found the net 6 times. It was a decent year but I had serious back problems that kept me on the sideline the second half of the season.

In my third year things got worse. I only played 5 times and scored two goals, both of them against our rivals, Perama FC. It was a flare in a season full of pain and disappointment. Not only my back was breaking me down, but my ability had also been affected. I couldn’t even touch the mediocre players in my league. Houdini seemed to be out of tricks.

The summer before the fourth season in football I got an e-mail from the manager, he wanted to see me. **** it…

Manager: Hello Bill, have a sit.
Me: Good evening sir. What can I do for you?
Manager: Son, I called you here to talk about your injuries. I really like your playing, you’re a nice lad, but I can’t keep you on the team if this keeps on happening. Your father has been pushing me since your shin splints in January…
Me: I understand coach, don’t worry about it.
Manager: I believe in you, so I decided to give you a last chance this year. If your body breaks down again I will have to loan you to Perama FC, they may be our rivals but they want you like crazy. I really hope you can come through this challenge and play for us.
Me: I appreciate it coach, I will try my best.

Then, the season started and everything went to ****. My back was breaking me down and I couldn’t even sprint because of my shin problem. I only managed to play in 2 games, doing absolutely nothing, I looked like a 50 year old out there. Through the summer I signed my loan to Perama FC. It was the right time to take a break and figure out what to do. Fortunately, Steven Gerrard arranged a camp in Liverpool and I convinced my parents to send me there. Stevie was a phenomenal lad. He was training us in the morning and then he was having dinner with us in our dining room. One day I found the courage to go and talk to him about my situation. His words changed my life:

“Listen lad. Mi whole career I had problems with mi hamstrings. The pain was crazy and I missed many games, which was worse than any pain. It went away when I decided to hit the gym regularly and strengthen mi muscles. Do this and one day you will be playing in the Champions League. You have the heart, the football I.Q and the technique to get there, but your body must also follow.”

That was it. I trained with him in the camp every day and then I was at the gym for hours. I spent 3 months in Liverpool, without my family, without my friends, without vacations. And it paid off. The next season I played 14(!) games with Perama FC and scored 6 goals, including one against my club, Peramaikos. The return to my club was finally there and I was feeling great again. Peramaikos was playing in the fourth league in Greece, it was an amateur club, but they believed in me. I hope I can produce for them and play in a higher division.

To be continued…
00qM8oP.png

*This is a B.a.P story, with some real facts here and there. I hope you find it interesting, it’s the way I decided to introduce myself to this amazing forum. My name is Bill, 20 years old and I live in Greece. Please, excuse me for some mistakes in grammar, English is not my native language. :)

Last edited:
Fantastic start mate, cant wait for more. :)
Thanks a lot Lippo, it means a lot coming from you! :-D

Chapter two: The misery continues

The year started off perfectly. Even though the coach played me in a position I didn’t like (AML), I scored a goal and averaged 7.3 in the first two games. I even got called in the Greek National U-19 squad for the first time. After the first practice with the lads in the National Team coach wanted to talk with me privately.

U-19 coach: Welcome Bill, it’s a pleasure having you here!
Me: Thank you coach, I already feel very comfortable here, the lads and the staff are great.
U-19 coach: I’m glad you like it here. Listen… I know it’s too early but I would like you to be the captain of this team in tomorrow’s match against Belarus. You are the oldest guy here,your leadership is extraordinary and I know what you’ve been through in the past. What do you say?
Me: I can’t thank you enough coach for this opportunity, you won’t regret this!

My eyes were still watery when I called my parents to tell them. They were so excited, even my dad was heard celebrating in the background. I was one huge step closer to my dream. Being a professional player, leading a football club, taking responsibility. I couldn’t miss any more matches, it felt so wrong to sit in the sidelines when the other guys play. I wish my body lasts a bit longer this time.

The next day we were playing Belarus. That was my first U-19 cap and I had the captain’s armband, I was so proud. My debut with Greece got perfect in the 3rd minute, when I scored a goal from close range. It was a dream come true, I felt like a king back there.
View attachment 233515
View attachment 233516

My excitement about the win over Belarus, my goal and my debut quickly became pain, agony and fear. My back has betrayed me again, so I had to sit for 3 months!
View attachment 233514

3 months later, after rehab, gym and so much pain, I got into the full training program again, only to suffer a hip injury, which got me sidelined for another 5 months! My career was at stake, my body couldn't hold me, never did. Could this be the end of me? Then I remembered what they say about me and my aces up my sleeve...
View attachment 233513

This is how I looked in the start of 2015/2016 season.
View attachment 233512

Last edited:
Great start, gotta love a good BaP story!

Although for some reason that last name makes me think of venereal diseases... :p

Chapter three: Recognition

The rest of the first year it was full of visits to the doctor and the physio. The only good thing was that some teams started to get interested in me from the Greek Football League, which is one level lower than Superleague. If I was healthy I could make the leap to professional football. Some days later, a team who was pushing for promotion decided to offer my first professional contract. I accepted almost immediately and money wasn’t the only issue. I never forgot the fact that Peramaikos threw me away when I was injured. Lamia offered me good money, better physio and they seemed to care about my health a lot.

View attachment 233325

Lamia was second in the Football League, trying to get to the playoffs. It would be hard, but I knew that if I play well, we could make some noise in this league. After the first few games where I tried to adapt to the new team, tactics and teammates, I made some noise on my own.
View attachment 233324

Even though I was playing again in a position I didn't like (AML), I managed to make serious impact on my team by scoring a Steven Gerrard-ish free kick when it seemed impossible for my teammates to score. Then I decided to speak with the manager. I was brought here to play as a Central Midfielder or an Attacking Midfielder, I didn't feel comfortable at all playing as a Winger.

Me: Good evening coach. There is something I wanted to tell you...
Manager: After that beauty of a goal you scored you can tell me anything son.
Me: Look... I appreciate the fact that I've been starting here since day 1 but playing as a winger just doesn't feel right...
Manager: I know Bill, I understand that it's not your position but I thought we could benefit from your dribbling skills. I will play you as a CM in the future.
Me: Thanks coach, I really appreciate your interest in me.

After a few games, I shined like a diamond. I bossed the midfield day in, day out and the media have been noticing...
View attachment 233323
View attachment 233322

Then, it happened again. On my highest point as a pro, I got injured again. For 2 WHOLE MONTHS. That meant no more football for Houdini this season. I was gutted. Fortunately, I played for a club that carred about me and wanted to ease my pain...
View attachment 233321

In the end of season two we missed promotion in the last game, it was a torture for me seeing the guys on the field trying to get the victory. This is how I looked in the end of my first season as a pro.
View attachment 233316

What is it with BAPs and lots of injuries good start though

Chapter four: The breakout season

This season was by far the best season I've ever had so far. I was the best player of my team, I was called up in the Greek U-21 squad and had 7 appearences. It was the first time in years that I was completely healthy and I was looking better game after game.

Unfortunately we didn't get the promotion we wanted, despite a dominant series of performances by me. You might think it was the perfect year for me. It wasn't. I broke up with my girlfriend -which was a good decision eventually- and I didn't win a major award in the Greek Football League, even though I was the youngest participant and the most valuable to my team.

Now that I was single I decided to party during my holidays but my low Bravery attribute didn't let me chase the girl I was after, so the preseason had a bittersweet taste. Let's take a look in my season.

My overall stats:
View attachment 231524

This is how I looked after some International football, 22 years old:
View attachment 231518

These are my achievements for the 2016/17 season:
View attachment 231517

Aaaaand finally this is my second place in the "Footballer of the Year" award of the Greek National B Division:
View attachment 231516

Last edited: