Houllier defends role over Bent

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier defends his conduct in the Darren Bent transfer and accuses his Sunderland counterpart of being "not too gracious".

More...

Gworn Ged, don't let some puffy-faced northerner slag you off! Nut him next time!

In another article I read he accused Holloway and Bruce of ganging up on him because he's foreign oO)

In another article I read he accused Holloway and Bruce of ganging up on him because he's foreign oO)

That was misconstrued. He said it as a joke, and the red-tops reported it as "OMFGZ HOULLIER ACCUSES MANAGERRS UF RACISM" etc.

Ahh fair enough, I didn't want to believe it and it doesn't seem like the sort of thing he'd say really.
I'm getting fed up of all this hate for Houllier though, like he said, they never had to sell Bent, even if he has moved for money only (which I personally don't think he has), Sunderland can still say "No we won't sell you our star striker"

Im not sure what Houllier has done wrong here. He didnt tap him up, he didnt publicly start saying he wanted Bent. The club made an offer, the striker handed in a transfer request. Can understand Sunderland being upset at losing Bent, but this smacks of unnecessary bitterness towards Houllier