How about a European wage cap?

tux119

Banned
Reaction score
With all the talk of the debts that English football clubs have and im sure there are alot of European clubs with alot of debt too, do you not think it would be a great idea for Uefa/Fifa to set a blanket wage cap for all european leagues? I say for all european leagues because im sure if the premiership were to set a maximum wage of £40,000 and all the other leagues in europe could pay what they like then there would be a mass exodus of top players in england. Discuss.

yh great idea. apart from the tax rules off each country. players will only go to spain where there is less tax rules. or america

Somewhere will not have the salary cap in place and so all the good players will flock there.

Look at rugby, England has a salary cap of about £3.5m per year, in France they do not and the top sides can splash out on large wages and some spend up to €18m a year on wages

and tht is why alot of english player are now going to france. we cant have tht in football

Let's cap how much money people are allowed to earn? i can't be the only one seeing there's something fundamentally wrong with that? Supply and demand, people. Forcing companies (which is what they are) to cap what they're allowed to pay their employees is awful, and why should only footballers be done in by this? They've got a skill that's in demand and people are willing to pay for it. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Somewhere will not have the salary cap in place and so all the good players will flock there.

Look at rugby, England has a salary cap of about £3.5m per year, in France they do not and the top sides can splash out on large wages and some spend up to €18m a year on wages

but you could also say, talking about rugger, that the quality of English rugby has declined since the cap came into place

i don't want this to happen in the Prem

all the players that went to City, went for the money. if there was a salary cap, all City's stars would go to USA or Spain. Then Real and Barca would win the Champo League every season all because of a stupid wage cap

i hope it won't happen. if it will, hopefully only for City :p

Let's cap how much money people are allowed to earn? i can't be the only one seeing there's something fundamentally wrong with that? Supply and demand, people. Forcing companies (which is what they are) to cap what they're allowed to pay their employees is awful, and why should only footballers be done in by this? They've got a skill that's in demand and people are willing to pay for it.
Couldn't have put it better. **** idea.^^)

Ideal

This is something that quite simply has to happen to avoid the downfall of major clubs across Europe.

The suggestion would be to put in a cap Europe wide so every club that is involved in any european league would have to abide by the wage cap.

Then players would stay for loyalty reasons and not cash. They would move purely for the better football.

If they the choose to go play outside of europe good luck to them but they will never earn the top honours in the game eg European Cup of the top titles Premiership, La Liga, Seria A or bundesliga.

All in all when you weigh up the econimic downturn and the distinct lack of money availble in the game this can only be a great idea to invoke.

Before anyone else comes on quoting rugby please read my passage carefully as I have stated that it would have to be Europe - Wide!

yh great idea. apart from the tax rules off each country. players will only go to spain where there is less tax rules. or america

Spot on Scott. Clubs in countries with a high rate of tax on big earners would get totally messed up by this. And how would the wage cap be worked out for clubs which don't operate in Euros? Look at how the pound fluctuates against the Euro.

A 'hard' cap just wouldn't work. And a soft cap (eg cap based on a percentage of turnover) would just guarantee that no clubs could move up to challenge the current European 'elite'.

Yh i think it should stay how it is. Big transfer, Big wages it want makes football exciting

Yeah more excitting for the bigger clubs who have the money to pay these players and with most clubs eg. liverpool manu chelsea man city the money they are using to pay the players isnt their own its mostly debt gives a unfair advantage if you ask me a wage cap would at least allow smaller clubs of the world a chance to actually achieve something without risking financial collapse like pompey bradford sheff wed palace and of course leeds to name but a few.....

Yeah more excitting for the bigger clubs who have the money to pay these players and with most clubs eg. liverpool manu chelsea man city the money they are using to pay the players isnt their own its mostly debt gives a unfair advantage if you ask me a wage cap would at least allow smaller clubs of the world a chance to actually achieve something without risking financial collapse like pompey bradford sheff wed palace and of course leeds to name but a few.....

but wouldnt you love it if a bllionaire took over at leeds tommorrow. Football is football people know the risks when they spend 30million on player and pay him 100k a week. Everyone is aware of the risk. good luck to them all

Not really :S, if Man Utd and Leeds are forced to offer lower wages to a talented new player, say £50k per week, then Man Utd are going to win hands down 7 days a week, and because they are playing less for each player they can grab loads and loads of good quality players for knock down wages, so I think it won't ease the problem at all.

Well the obvious suggestion to combat the tax issues would be a NET wage limit.

The bigger problem would be the fluctuating rates of the pound/euro.

yeah but say if manu and villa now wanted the same player villa can only afford 50k a week manu say well we will give you 100k obviously manu win hands down but if there is a wage cap of 40k both clubs can afford to make the same offer it then gives the player something to think about other than money and in time teams might start catching up in terms of quality. The same goes for clubs stealing quality young players the rules needs to change on that front as well.........

Last edited:
yeah but say if manu and villa now wanted the same player villa can only afford 50k a week manu say well we will give you 100k obviously manu win hands down but if there is a wage cap of 40k both clubs can afford to make the same offer it then gives the player something to think about other than money and in time teams might start catching up in terms of quality. The same goes for clubs stealing quality young players the rules needs to change on that front as well.........

Yes but in that situation Man Utd are paying twice as much therefore taking up twice as much of a wage bill, now i think about it the system will probably be a total cap on wages for the entire team, as in all teams can only spend £1m a month on wages or w/e it will be. Surely that will be a better idea?

Just want to clarify this.

Manchester United and Liverpool aren't in debt because they can't afford their players wages. The debt on both clubs comes from the way in which their current owners bought them. In fact, you could say that both clubs are operating with a major handicap in comparison to others as a result as we have even less money to spend on wages and transfers than we should have because our owners are using our profits to pay the interest on debts which we should never have had.

It's not like Leeds who went out and spent out more money than they could afford. Nor Portsmouth who did the same. Take off the debt repayments for our owners' mortgages and Manchester United and Liverpool make decent profits every year.

Chelsea have been bankrolled by a ludicrously rich man, which is fair enough. Manchester City are the same. Arsenal balance their books by cutting down on transfer spending while paying exceptionally high wages for the players they bring in. A wage cap wouldn't help the smaller clubs in England compete unless it was put at such a low level that European football would not be able to hold onto players in the worldwide market (the North American leagues and the Russian leagues, not to mention the Asian leagues would suddenly become very attractive again).

Spot on Scott. Clubs in countries with a high rate of tax on big earners would get totally messed up by this. And how would the wage cap be worked out for clubs which don't operate in Euros? Look at how the pound fluctuates against the Euro.

A 'hard' cap just wouldn't work. And a soft cap (eg cap based on a percentage of turnover) would just guarantee that no clubs could move up to challenge the current European 'elite'.

Let's cap how much money people are allowed to earn? i can't be the only one seeing there's something fundamentally wrong with that? Supply and demand, people. Forcing companies (which is what they are) to cap what they're allowed to pay their employees is awful, and why should only footballers be done in by this? They've got a skill that's in demand and people are willing to pay for it. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Just want to clarify this.

Manchester United and Liverpool aren't in debt because they can't afford their players wages. The debt on both clubs comes from the way in which their current owners bought them. In fact, you could say that both clubs are operating with a major handicap in comparison to others as a result as we have even less money to spend on wages and transfers than we should have because our owners are using our profits to pay the interest on debts which we should never have had.

It's not like Leeds who went out and spent out more money than they could afford. Nor Portsmouth who did the same. Take off the debt repayments for our owners' mortgages and Manchester United and Liverpool make decent profits every year.

Chelsea have been bankrolled by a ludicrously rich man, which is fair enough. Manchester City are the same. Arsenal balance their books by cutting down on transfer spending while paying exceptionally high wages for the players they bring in. A wage cap wouldn't help the smaller clubs in England compete unless it was put at such a low level that European football would not be able to hold onto players in the worldwide market (the North American leagues and the Russian leagues, not to mention the Asian leagues would suddenly become very attractive again).

All of the above points sum up exactly why this idea will never work.

I don't see why this could ever work? Most of what I think has already been said but I will add, why do you want to introduce a wage cap? What benefit could people possibly see it having on the game? Football clubs may or may not be able to afford the wages they are currently paying but that is their decision surely, if a club (i.e Man City) want to offer huge sums of money for a player then let them, football will never run out of money and even though there are huge debts in the Premier League there are also huge amounts of money to be won. Basically, if an individual team wants to introduce a wage cap then so be it but making it law seems wrong..

And if that's not enough you have to think, footballers have a short career, they need to be getting paid as much as they can in the 10-15 good years of football they get, and if England introduce a wage cap then they will all leave..