How accurate is genie scout / player stats?

Lempriere

Reaction score
This has been bugging me, sorry if it's been mentioned already, i couldn't see a thread about it.

I've got an 18 year-old Italian regen AML called Antoine Sepe who, according to Genie Scout, has a potential ability of something like 196. Which is like almost as good as Messi. In-game, his potential star-rating is 5 stars. But his actual playing stats are pretty mediocre, and even when you click the box on Genie Scout to see his "potential" stats, they're nothing to write home about. None of his stats look like they'll go above 16 and most of the important stats for his position peak at about 13/14 - i.e. decent, but not like Messi-good. But when I play him he's absolutely ******* boss. He's scored 8 goals and made 14 assists in 15 games and has an average rating of about 7.6 at the moment.

Also - bewilderingly - I get training reports saying he's making "remarkable improvements", but these improvements aren't translated into his stats, which have improved by like a point in a couple of areas, but hardly anything "remarkable".

It's not just this guy either. I've bought Zeli Ismail from Wolves and he's also got a very high potential ability in Genie Scout, it's like 180 or something. But clicking on his potential stats, again they look kind of crappy.
And there's more besides.

What's up with this? Are the potential stats in Genie Scout way inaccurate? Or are the actual player stats themselves inaccurate - e.g. can a player with mediocre stats actually perform like a total don at the top level throughout his career?

The Genie Scout potential stats are if you leave him on the default training. When looking at a future player, it's also worth noting their Potential Best Position rating, that looks at their stats, and shows their best position.

Genie scout is accurate.
Scouts suck. /thread.

That's very succinct, thankyou. But it doesn't really answer the question. I'm not talking about scouts. I'm talking about stats. How can a player with pretty crappy stats be one of the best players in the world (potentially) according to Genie Scout?

edit: oh, I didn't realise that about the potential stats, thanks Snypar.

PA - potential ability, which means that the more PA you have the more stats will go up... Let's say you've got a mediocre player who has 196 PA, but his stats are not nearly that good and his CA(current ability) is 120... Most of his stats will go at least 4-5 up, depending on position, roles, retraining to new positions, etc.

Well. I just found an Argentinian CAM who is 16 with a Best Potential rating of 79.00%, and PA 200. The genie scout shows he will make 200/200 PA when tick the 'show potential attributes' box. My 20/20 rated scout however, only gives him a 3.5 star potential rating. What do i make of this?

I would scout that player more than once to start with. Also, scouts will compare him to players in your team in his position so if you have a top player there already then his PA will be lower.

Ultimately, Genie Scout is now pretty good and finding talent as it takes into account hidden skills as well - not going to be 100% correct, but you 99% of the time a player with high PA and high PR (potential rating) will be good.

Well. I just found an Argentinian CAM who is 16 with a Best Potential rating of 79.00%, and PA 200. The genie scout shows he will make 200/200 PA when tick the 'show potential attributes' box. My 20/20 rated scout however, only gives him a 3.5 star potential rating. What do i make of this?

That he has 200 PA. Genie>In-game scouts.

The in-game scout rating is based on how quality a player he will be compared to your current playing staff.
So, 3.5 stars for a player with a best potential rating of 79% is realistic.
PA just shows how much their attributes can grow. Best potential rating shows how well they will play compared to all the other players in the game.
So, a player can have a CA of 120 and a PA of 190, but a BPR of 70% as a SW. This player is for all intents and purposes a useless lump of uselessness. Unless it's the 1980's and you're playing a 3-5-2.

so in genie if the player has a PA of 200, someone with a PA of 170 could be better if he has a higher potential rating?
If this right?

...Also, scouts will compare him to players in your team in his position so if you have a top player there already then his PA will be lower.

I thought coaches were comparing player against other players, while the scouts are trying to predict PA.