Tulaugu

Reaction score
Hello,

I have promoted with Leeds after my first season to the premier league (YAY!)
I needed a striker so I bought Enner Valencia (this is season 16-17) from West Ham United.
Because it's a PL club I just happy clicked OK and YES after the contract negotiations went quite well, but then lightning struck. Suddenly I have an Enner Valencia in my squad that doesn't have a Work Permit!!!!!

How is it possible that I buy a player from a PL club without a work permit?
How is it possible my scout report doesn't mention anything about difficulties with a work permit?
And most importantly... what to do now? I am a newly promoted club with a 14 mil investment which I can't use and is the top earner in my team....

Thanks for suggestions.

p.s. Bullshit! Not getting a WP after being transfered from one club to the other within the same country!

He has to have played a certain number of games for his country and have them be ranked in the world top 75 if not they have to be exceptional talents or have some reason for missing some games I.e. Youth or injuries. Where he played before is irrelevant basically you have to try and get him more international games or EU citizenship the best places for that are Belgium or Croatia I think. Given the year I think it will be a while until he is a UK citizen so you will likely have to loan him out and hope he plays for Ecuador or gains citizenship in the EU.

You could try and loan him for wages plus a fee and hope he gets a recall to Ecuador it will probably be the best choice financially and in terms of getting some caps.

If the copa america thing hasn't happened then you could reapply for a work permit after it and if he has played you could get one

Every player who isn't an EU citizen has to gain a work permit in the UK no matter where they move from

He already WAS playing in the UK, so he had one and now he doesn't.
Furthermore... he is a 26 year old player from Ecuador (top 50) with 50 caps!

Feels like I wasted 14 mil, that I could have used greatly to avoid relegation...

Last edited:

Feels like I wasted 14 mil, that I could have used greatly to avoid relegation...
It doesn't matter where he was playing. The situation gets re-evaluated with every contract.

Total caps don't matter. The number of games he played for his country (taking the ranking into account) in the last 24 months do.

You would have been told that the permit was rejected before signing him as well.

If Valencia didn't play much last season for club & country last season, then the chances are his WP would have been rejected upon a contract renewal with West Ham as well, probably why they are looking to sell.

As WJ said, you would have been told that his WP had been rejected. Personally, if I sign a player without a WP, I always try and loan him out to a team where he is virtually guaranteed games, regardless of their wage contribution, but you have to make sure the 'Can be recalled' clause is activated within the contract.
Wait until January, hopefully by this point he has played a decent amount of games for club and country, re-apply for his WP, if accepted, recall him from his loan and you can have your player back for the second half of the season.

Obviously not always guaranteed but it has worked for me on several occasions before.

p.s. Bullshit! Not getting a WP after being transfered from one club to the other within the same country!

It doesn't look logical to me too but that's the rule, he still need to get work permit every time when he changes teams

No loan offers....

Even with 0% wages.... this is annoying

Similar problem, I'm at Southampton and dusan tadic is coming into the last year of his contract but I can't renew as he cant get a work permit. Last year for me he got the most assists in the league and also in double figures for goals( he was my star player that got me into the top 4) so if he's not getting in the national side after that season he simply isn't getting in it. Do I have no hope of getting him a work permit? Should I just cut my losses and sell him while I can?

Last edited:
Not the best solution but you can purchase the in game editor through steam for a few pounds, you can then add an eu nationality to him enabling him to play but short of that loan deals to Eu or resale are your only options.