ZajacFC

Reaction score
I'm Napoli and I've been winning non-stop in Serie A but there's one team in all competitions that I can't get past at all: Juventus. They kicked me out of the European Cup (2-0 aggregate win, 1 goal in each game, the goal of the first game was on 93 minutes so kind of a fluke). In Serie A they beat me once.

My formation in the first game was 4-3-1-2, and switched to 4-1-2-1-2 sometime in the 2nd half. My formation in the second was 4-4-2.

Juve play a 4-4-2 formation each time and I'm having trouble closing them down. Also every time I do go on the attack I have to deal with Buffon who is just a pain in the ***. He blocks every shot I've made (including a penalty). I've yet to get past him.

Any help? How can I beat the 4-4-2 formation?

I am playing as napoli too and won juve first season(first game) 3-1 playing 4-5-1 [4-3-3]
strategy :counter
defensive line: deep
counter attack :yes(not for sure)

Last edited:
In my Napoli save I finished 5th in first season and 3rd in second season using a 3-4-1-2.

The main issues with a 4-4-2 is that when one or two of the fullbacks join in with the attack, there are limited players defending.

the best way to beat a 4-4-2 tactic is probably to use Stand-off more for pressing, and hit them on the counter, make sure you have pacey strikers/wingers with good dribbling/finishing attributes.

4-5-1 counterattack with stopper cover combo .. never fails

I'm actually 1st in Serie A though I'm currently not playing for any other silverware. I just can never beat Juve. I've beaten Inter, AC, Lazio, etc but never Juve. I'll try what you guys have to say.

Just to clarify, By 4-5-1, do you mean that I should use two attacking midfielders on the left and right? Or do you mean that I keep them firmly in midfield and so I have five people in midfield?

I'm actually 1st in Serie A though I'm currently not playing for any other silverware. I just can never beat Juve. I've beaten Inter, AC, Lazio, etc but never Juve. I'll try what you guys have to say.

Just to clarify, By 4-5-1, do you mean that I should use two attacking midfielders on the left and right? Or do you mean that I keep them firmly in midfield and so I have five people in midfield?

Your choice as long that you use that defender combo. But I suggest using a DM too so to not get too defensive that 4-5-1 with attacking wingers might be best one. Defender combo is important because 4-4-2 is usually deeplying - advanced forwrd combo an they'll try to stretch your defense but with cover stopper combo one stopper will close down that deeplying and cover will wait for that advanced one little deeper. With DM you'll have him helping there too and he will be close to collect the ball when you manage to break the attack.