How can I get my team to learn the tactics before they've played 28 games?

prescottrh

Reaction score
So I set my pre-season for 10 friendlies, team training is set to Team Cohesion Very high and match training set to Match tactics, the slider is adjusted to say -40% of time is spent on match training.

As a side note I'd say that only being able to work on one tactic at a time is daft. With all the experience players have these days and the saturation of the media with football I fail to see why SI games make it so difficult for players to pick up basic formations and instructions. The notion of "gel" will take time but that doesn't mean players should be fucktards when it comes to learning to play 4 at the back.

If you only selected one tactic, they should be learning it very quickly. Way, way before you played 28 games. I usually organise 6 friendlies and by the end of it, my tactical familiarity is quite high. By the first or second league game, I add my 2nd, backup tactic.

arrange about 12 friendlies. Easy ones. and 2 days apart. keep it on team Cohesion / Match Tactics 50% slider for a while. Change Match tactics to Team work with about 2 week to league start. when league starts keep it on Balanced and alternate the match training. its realistic teams dont gel easily during pre season real life. curious case manutd. so have patienece. you'll still win matches with a good tactic thats not fully gelled yet till it gets fluid

In real life when is the last time a team played 12 friendlies? Seems silly it would take that long. But then my players seem constantly unhappy with training anyway and for some reason half the Chelsea backroom staff are unworthy of even placing cones on the training ground.... Ooh sorry turned into a bit of a rant there. :)

In real life when is the last time a team played 12 friendlies? Seems silly it would take that long.

I beg to differ. Take Liverpool under Rodgers, it took half a season before the team adapted to his new tactic. It allegedly took Gerrard a month just to understand how Rodgers wanted the team to play. Or look at Man United under van Gaal. He initially said "judge me after 10 games", now he's saying "it might take 3 years".

Tactics aren't learned immediately, and in general I'd say it takes less time in FM than it does IRL.

In real life when is the last time a team played 12 friendlies? Seems silly it would take that long. But then my players seem constantly unhappy with training anyway and for some reason half the Chelsea backroom staff are unworthy of even placing cones on the training ground.... Ooh sorry turned into a bit of a rant there. :)

Your players will be unhappy as the squad at Chelsea is enormous 1st team and reserve train together. You won't have enough staff to handle the load if you have 1 per discipline. even then some players don't like training. This is a lack of professionalism. I usually sell these people. You don't need as many as 12 friendlies but this is recommended.

Start your game set to have an early season start date. Put your tactic in all 3 slots. Then follow what zizunola said. Should be fluid by season start date.

P's if you try to change the complete style of play a team uses you should expect it to take months of your season maybe even a year or two.

Your tactics coach matters too!!! If he is 4-5 star the team will learn new tactics sooner!