How can I improve my 4-2-3-1?

Hyphron

Reaction score
This is my first go at creating a tactic on FM19, I normally plug & play but thought I'd give this a try.

I'm trying to play a possession based game in an attempt to control matches. So far i've managed to nail the possession side of things, hitting between 59-65% every game. However, I am having trouble in 2 key areas: taking chances and defensively. I always have loads of shots, but not many of those are on target. Also, I seem to concede quite a lot of goals. I think partly this might be down to me playing a high-line and having slowish centre backs. We also seem to get done on the counter quite a lot when we lose possession, is there something I can do to stop this?

I would really appreciate any advice/tips you guys can give me on this tactic, I'm actually sitting in 2nd in the championship which is good but I'm looking to perfect this tactic in any way I can.

Thanks!

attachment.php

just a quick guess. u play with short passing, from defence, in a lower tempo and work the ball into the box. i guess the opposite team find it "boring" and i makes good sense to me, that your team does not stretch the opposite team enough. So this does result in bad chances and shots from a long distance.

also. you play fairly narrow, with inside forwards and, a deep lying forward, 2 playmakers and a holding midfield. everyone will be standing in the middle of the pitch and no one will run deep or wide to stretch the oppositions defence.

makes sence?

I think you should have 1 CDM Role for this tactics because of 2 CWB so your tactics have a lot of gaps from wing.

i would also remove your AMC and put in a CMD. Make one of your CM's a mezzala for more width creativity. also stop playing narrow, try standard setting and let your wingbacks overlap both sides. this way you get more attacking options for your players.

i would also remove your AMC and put in a CMD. Make one of your CM's a mezzala for more width creativity. also stop playing narrow, try standard setting and let your wingbacks overlap both sides. this way you get more attacking options for your players.

Can be easily fixed, change your WBs to IWBs as you're only playing two at the back unless your WBs have 17+ pace, acceleration and stamina then they'll get outnumbered. In addition APMs are generally **** in FM as if they have a poor game it'll effect the performance of your whole team as everyone looks to pass to him so change to AMC. Oh and to give your side width, change your IFs to Wingers and swap Wilson with Mckay so you have the appropriate footed player on each side (this doesn't matter for IWBs so do not swap these two).

Just play your lone striker as either PF, AF or CFA (whatever suits him best) as he's dropping needlessly deep to help out and already congested midfield. Finally, if the opposition are playing balanced, cautious, defensive or very defensive mentality, drop your d line in line with the opposition strikers pace. i.e if they're slightly faster then go one notch down and so on and so forth.

Once final thing, when playing **** teams set up defensively, drop your LoE and pressing mentality probably to standard/standard in championship as all the players are about the same quality but you'll probably have to increase pressing mentality once in Prem as if you drop off too deep their creative players will punish you to clinical effect. The reason why you need to drop this as because otherwise it's too easy for the oppositions deference as everything is in front of them.. Think about the way Burnley are set-up, they're more than happy to let better teams tika-taka all day whilst they sit patiently waiting for the right time to make a offensive move. You need to let them push forward for your defensive players to nab the ball and pass to a creative player in space so he can tonk it to your striker for a 1x1.... well that's the theory anyway!