How can I improve this tactic to make it more defensively solid?

back to OP this formation has been discussed at length and in real football isnt even a formation you will see anyone using, real teams use 2 dm's I read an article recently on rafa benitez when implementing this formation onto a save and his use of the two dm's but i cannot remember where it was if i find the link i will post it.

As wj previously noted the issues mainly come from the cm's in this formation not having the right roles and not doing the right things is the nail in the coffin for this formation.
Spot on. If we are going to be technical, DMs yes, but also MR and ML reflect the real life version more accurately.

That screenshot shows that you're first in the league... so you don't really have problems, do you?

this is still not true because this will depend entirely on the players attributes, ppm's etc it is unlikely to get to identical players who will make exactly the same decision on both flanks at the same time.

back to OP this formation has been discussed at length and in real football isnt even a formation you will see anyone using, real teams use 2 dm's I read an article recently on rafa benitez when implementing this formation onto a save and his use of the two dm's but i cannot remember where it was if i find the link i will post it.

As wj previously noted the issues mainly come from the cm's in this formation not having the right roles and not doing the right things is the nail in the coffin for this formation.

Of course the main issue is the CM pairing. I stated in my first comment that there is too much to put in a comment, and recommended he reads guides on different role combinations/pairings.

My point about wide players is merely a suggestion. Not a solution. I do admit my statement was incorrect because as you said players will have different ppms and instructions.