How can I make my Guardiola inpired 433 better?

GoldenIron

Reaction score
Ive been trying to create a tactic that resembles City's playstyle under pep.

View attachment 86538View attachment 86537

Anyone recommend any changes? Im looking for Sane to cut inside and burn out the opp FB while Sterling try's to get close to the By Line, RPM next to the winger to support each other While the BBM covers the IF leaving him the freedom to attack. Looking for FB to go up and down while Kompany plays deep and Otamendi gets to help with the press. Both BPD to pass back to the Sweeper keepers.

(P.S I know in the screenshot the BBM is behind the winger, Its actually behind the IF currently)

Ill try and load up my City save I done and have a look at what instructions I used, Cant remember of the top of my head as it was it ages ago. I'll come back to you.

Move Toure to a deeper role to free up your center backs to play wider in possession and then give your fullbacks more aggressive roles so that you maintain a good stretch of play in the final third and give your inside forwards more freedom to make runs into the channels. That's going to be your primary source of penetration in a 4-3-3 that's set to a less direct mentality; without stretching the back line to open up the channels, you're going to see your midfielders and defenders passing the ball back and forth a lot without many real clear chances on goal.

You need a few things to get clear cut chances. You need space, so that your players are open or can make runs and be open. You need someone to be making penetrating runs or someone making a late run to get onto a cross/cutback. You need someone who's going to make the pass to the open man. With a 4-3-3, you're really depending on those front three for penetration.

Unless you're playing your forward as a false nine or trequartista, you probably want him to have the "move into channels" PI or player trait. You should put an aggressive, attacking fullback or wingback on the same side as your inside forward, so he'll make overlapping runs to stretch the back line and open up channels for your inside forward to move into.

You probably want one of your two more advanced central mids set to attack duty (though BBM is the next best thing if you don't do that).

You should change your winger from support to attack and maybe have him learn the "get into box whenever possible" player trait if he can so that he's making attacking runs at the far post. That's one of the most consistent ways I've found to score goals from a 4-3-3: an attacking fullback crossing to an attacking winger on the opposite side. You may even want to give that fullback the "cross far post" PI.

You have a lot of TIs, some of which are a bit redundant. You probably don't need both "retain possession" and "shorter passing"; "retain possession" automatically makes your team pass shorter than they would by default. You may also consider removing the "roam from positions" TI and instead changing your shape to "fluid". "Play narrower" may also not be necessary, especially since you already have an inside forward on one side. You don't want your fullbacks to be too narrow (unless you're using an inverted wingback) because they need to stretch play for you in the final third. You could probably also remove "faster tempo" without hurting anything, since the point of the control mentality isn't to play fast, it's to keep control of the game by retaining possession and being patient.

Just some suggestions both to help you enhance the number of chances you create and to improve your tactic in general.