How can you increase a player's influence attribute?

From what I've seen, players grow in influence as they grow older, and also players tend to increase in influence slightly if they are the captain of your team.

This is pointless. Influence counts for nothing in FM. It really doesn't matter if you put someone with a 10 on influence as your skipper or someone with 18 or 20 IMO.

Actually, I think it does matter. I have had my assistant tell me that the players were finding it hard to get motivated to play with Edin Dzeko as their captain. He is probably the best player at my club, but his influence is not very good (around 10 i think). However this only seems to happen if he is going through a rough patch of form. I made Modric, who has very high influence, my captain for the next season and I never had this happen regardless of his form, so I think influence does play a role.

Actually, I think it does matter. I have had my assistant tell me that the players were finding it hard to get motivated to play with Edin Dzeko as their captain. He is probably the best player at my club, but his influence is not very good (around 10 i think). However this only seems to happen if he is going through a rough patch of form. I made Modric, who has very high influence, my captain for the next season and I never had this happen regardless of his form, so I think influence does play a role.

Influence is important, yes, since the players wont perform at their best if the skipper isnt someone that they look up to/respect.

For example, in my save, i signed an american regen that had his character description as "Leader", i checked his Influence : 16 at 17 years of age. Naturally, he became my vice-captain, as i had Darnel Situ as me captain, with 19. Needless to say, 10 years after that american regen has 20, he captains Sporting CP and the USA team.

Most regens with 11 ++ influence will end up having 15+++ without even tutoring em

I don't know whether that's true as I had my assistant telling me that the players were struggling to get motivated with John Terry as their captain when he has influence of 20 (or 19 I forget)

old guy == > high influence
young dude ==> low influence

get it ? :p

My guy makes no sense on influence thing he is young i guess! Made him vice captain now and scored like freak but got injured .

I don't know whether that's true as I had my assistant telling me that the players were struggling to get motivated with John Terry as their captain when he has influence of 20 (or 19 I forget)

Check personality , getting a player with influence 20 and " Ambitious " as a trait might backfire , try always to get 12 +++ influence with a professional or determined player

Check personality , getting a player with influence 20 and " Ambitious " as a trait might backfire , try always to get 12 +++ influence with a professional or determined player

According to my assistant he is a "born leader" and that the rest of my team are highly ambitious and he fits in well.