How come you guys can sign world class talents for cheap (Neymar, Gotze, Bale) ?

Mulagar

Reaction score
Hey guys, playing my second season as ManU so I'm still trying to get familiar with all the mechanic of the game so please be patient.

I thought after winning the premiere league I would have more success in signing the best players since I've read again and again in the forum that people can sign the likes of Neymar or Bale on their first season. No such luck for me !

Admiring and declaring interest had little effect. Gotze straight up say he wont play for ManUtd. Neymar is rather coy. Bale is interested but is happy staying in his club and Tottenham wont sell him.
Even bidding upward to 40 - 45 mil pound for Gotze / Bale yielded no result. They simply said "not for sale".

Santos would only start a negotiation after I bid for Neymar, in the end I had to pay 62 mil pound for him. Ridiculous price but Chelsea and Manchester City are buffing up their squad using their bottomless wallet.

1. So yea, first question is, how in the world do people get Neymar / Bale for 33 mil ?

Secondly, I have a question about transfer budget.
On my first season, I spent a net of 4 mil on transfer. I had about 28 mil left for transfer but it kept decreasing likely due to Manchester United's loan repayment. By the end of the season I only had 7 mil for transfer.
I was thinking of pooling two years of transfer budget so I can have something like 70 mil pound to splash on. Is this impossible ?

2. Does the spend-it-or-lose-it rule apply to everyone or just ManU due to the loan repayment ?

New season budget just came in. I now have 45 mil pound to spend. I sold Valencia for 17 mil hoping to have enough money to sign for two world class players. Unfortunately my transfer Budget only increased by about 10 million to 55 mil. I'm guessing this has something to do with the "60% transfer revenue made available". Does this also apply to all clubs ? Seems a strange way to manage your transfer budget.

Edit:
Repost from small question thread since no one answered. I suppose this is not really a "small question"

Last edited:
Can't answer the first question as I have never tried to sign them myself.
Regarding the transfer budget, if you don't spend it all in one season, you should be able to carry it over to the following season, so I guess in your case this might have something to do with the loan repayments as they are in alot of debt.
Although, I have managed Liverpool who also are also in debt with loan repayments but my transfer budget was not affected, in fact as I was top of the league in January, the board offered for me to change my expectations from Europa League qualification to Champions League qualification, resulting in a further 30 million being added to my transfer budget.
About the 60% transfer revenue being made available, you can interact with the board and ask them to increase the percentage of transfer revenue.

Timing.

With Bale (though it might have changed) You could get him early on.

Neymar, if you have the Brazil leagues as playable, he usually requests a transfer after a while.

Gotze, you have to hope Dortmund do badly, and also win him over by talking in press.

Finances: with you United you have to be relatively careful with spending until 2017. Then you can go crazy as the debt is paid off.

hey you do need to spend a lot of money for world class players i may suggest using a 24 month or 48 month option that way your not spending it all at once and i know neymar has a release clause of 62 mil on his contract. if players want to leave you can get them for cheaper. sometimes when clubs reject a bid for a player the player can get unhappy and want to leave. and yes your board allocate you a transfer budget at the start of each season depending on your bank balance. so yes if you don't spend it you lose it, but i would not recomend spending it all as then you bank balance will get pretty ugly and will effect future season transfer budgets, so not spending can mean bigger budgets in the future. and in the talk to board button you can ask them to increase the percentage of transfer revenue and they may accept depending on the bank balance, you can also ask for more transfer/wage budget, upgrade to facilities to increase the quality of youth that come up each season and a lot of other things. I don't know anything about manu loan repayments but it seems unlikly that it would effect your transfer budget going down. hope this helps

Yeap I used the monthly installment option to buy Neymar. Strangely enough when I first make an offer for him using monthly installments, it seemed to have angered Santos and they asked for 107 million in installments instead. So I reload and offered 45 million in one payment and after the negotiation started Santos settled for 30 million immediately and the rest in installments.

Regarding transfer budget, I did ask the board to increase the percentage but got denied. As a consequence of the 37 million I got from selling Hernandez and Valencia, I could only spend something like 22 million. This seems like a broken mechanic.

Bale wanted to leave spurs and handed in a transfer request in the first season, then I naturally buy it for 27 million. ;) But the save I've deleted(a Real Madrid save-quite boring after 2-3 seasons, indeed.)

Yeap I used the monthly installment option to buy Neymar. Strangely enough when I first make an offer for him using monthly installments, it seemed to have angered Santos and they asked for 107 million in installments instead. So I reload and offered 45 million in one payment and after the negotiation started Santos settled for 30 million immediately and the rest in installments.

Regarding transfer budget, I did ask the board to increase the percentage but got denied. As a consequence of the 37 million I got from selling Hernandez and Valencia, I could only spend something like 22 million. This seems like a broken mechanic.

Its not a broken mechanic, United have to pay a LOT of money every month because of debt repayments. Its about 8m every month until 2017. So some of the money has to straight into the bank balance, Or the clubs would become very insecure.

Start off your bids very low for example bale might be worth 25mil bid 10 and go up from there this usually works for me and i get my players for a decent price and neymar you can get for 30 - 36 mil in the second season and if you can't get them for a price you're willing to pay try and unsettle them.

Its not a broken mechanic, United have to pay a LOT of money every month because of debt repayments. Its about 8m every month until 2017. So some of the money has to straight into the bank balance, Or the clubs would become very insecure.

My "broken mechanic" quote refers to not getting the full amount of money from selling players, which I would assume apply to many other clubs, even those without crushing debt. Assuming a budget of 30 million, I should be able to sell someone for 10 million and buy another for 40. As it stands, it wont let me do that. Luckily we can get around it using monthly installments.

My "broken mechanic" quote refers to not getting the full amount of money from selling players, which I would assume apply to many other clubs, even those without crushing debt. Assuming a budget of 30 million, I should be able to sell someone for 10 million and buy another for 40. As it stands, it wont let me do that. Luckily we can get around it using monthly installments.

well, no. That's you misunderstanding how it works entirely. The hevay burden on the finances means the club must retain a certain amount for the balance. They have to take some of the cut for the club to stay in balance. Its how finances work. Of course you will not get the full amount. The massive repayments means that they need to make some kind of extra income. Therefore if you sell, they will take a cut depening on the %. By the way, you are not getting around it. You are actually loading up the issue in the long term and future budgets will be cut severely

Last edited:
Granted I've only taken a few courses in accounting so I might be making grossly mistaken assumptions somewhere; but using Man Utd PLC financial releases I think they way they do it is like this :

The PLC set aside 40 million in cash that they want to invest into player in the hope of generating revenue and thus profit.
i.e. : Cash on hand --> Intangible fixed asset amortized over the length of the contract

I, the manager, would opt to sell a player for 10 million and buy another for 50 million.
10 million intangible fixed asset --> 10 million Cash on hand
Now I can do :
50 million cash --> 50 million intangible fixed asset

It really is the same thing. At the end of the day it will be 40 million cash turned into intangible asset. The balance sheet would look exactly the same.

Last edited:
I think what the other guys were trying to say is that because of the debt, they reallocate the sale price to debt repayment. Still, it's freaking Man U we are talking about not some random blue square team just coming out of administration. You should be fine money wise, and Neymar will last you until your budgets loosen up.

Honestly it would have been unfair to have two of those three from the OP... especially with rooney and rvp still on the roster.

Granted I've only taken a few courses in accounting so I might be making grossly mistaken assumptions somewhere; but using Man Utd PLC financial releases I think they way they do it is like this :

The PLC set aside 40 million in cash that they want to invest into player in the hope of generating revenue and thus profit.
i.e. : Cash on hand --> Intangible fixed asset amortized over the length of the contract

I, the manager, would opt to sell a player for 10 million and buy another for 50 million.
10 million intangible fixed asset --> 10 million Cash on hand
Now I can do :
50 million cash --> 50 million intangible fixed asset

It really is the same thing. At the end of the day it will be 40 million cash turned into intangible asset. The balance sheet would look exactly the same.
If you are talking about amortisations then you have left the realm of FM. The finances in FM are incredibly simplified compared to real life. Comparing to how the PLC would do it in real life doesn't work. The finances in FM will never be that complicated.

I am talking about how it works in FM, and only in FM, because it cannot and never will replicate finances to that level.

I think what the other guys were trying to say is that because of the debt, they reallocate the sale price to debt repayment. Still, it's freaking Man U we are talking about not some random blue square team just coming out of administration. You should be fine money wise, and Neymar will last you until your budgets loosen up.

Honestly it would have been unfair to have two of those three from the OP... especially with rooney and rvp still on the roster.
You would be right FM wise, if United were not paying £50m a year in interest payments. Which then requires you do to quite well consistently, and buy well, on order to keep generating massive budgets.

This has all got very technical, all i was going to say is i think you could sign Bale on the original patch for a lot less than the latest one, i think i got him for around £24million