How do I get Benteke to sign a new contract? We just won the League and ECC ffs!!

woozybear

Reaction score
So I've just won the Premier League and the Champions League in my second season with Aston Villa, and I'm now trying to get Christian Benteke to sign a new deal. All the major European clubs after him, with Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Juve and Chelsea all sniffing.

PSG are the most keen having tabled a few bids that I've knocked back. Benteke's valued at 28.5 million and has a release clause of 40 million. PSG tabled a bid that triggered the clause and to my horror it was accepted automatically. As ****** as I was, I loaded the game so I could start over and offer him a new deal.

In the contract dealing, I set his team status to Key Player, which he and his agent seem to find 'dubious', and his wage demands are way more than what I can offer. He is insisting on a 150 thousand a week contract with other generous add-ons, but the most I can offer is 120 thousand a week. I have already maxed out my wage demands with the board and can't get it up any higher and have adjusted my wage budget to the second lowest point (the lowest of which leaves no less than 7 pounds remaining in the bank).

As I said, I just won the **** league and Champions League. What else can I possibly do to keep this money-grubbing ingrate at the club? I just signed Thierry Henry as a coach, who is Benteke's idol as stated in his profile in the game, hoping that this will have a positive effect. I considered buying other favoured personnel, but being fellow countrymen Hazard and Fellaini, they are out of my financial league. (and for some reason they don't even want to consider a move to the newly crowned League and European champions).

It seems no matter how much you achieve in Football Manager, a teams prestige is predisposed to remain what it is in real life.

Anyone else had similar things happen? Any info or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible to win the BPL and UCL with Aston Villa. What you've done is simply progress too far too quickly before gaining the required reputation. Bite the bullet and sell him, he isn't bigger than the club. Try Michy Batshuyai (sp?) instead.

I don't think it's possible to win the BPL and UCL with Aston Villa. What you've done is simply progress too far too quickly before gaining the required reputation. Bite the bullet and sell him, he isn't bigger than the club. Try Michy Batshuyai (sp?) instead.

View attachment 369848

I wouldn't dare lie to you sir, ECC and English Premier Division 2015, please see attached image and weep :)

My reputation is Worldwide so it can't be that, I ended up selling the unloyal gimp in the end. I offered him 130 thousand a week plus add-ons but he chose to PSG, I click on him and see that he's earning only 105 thousand a week.

We face PSG in pre-season and I plan on making everyone get stuck in on the guy. Studs up!

Anyway I'm over it, now the search for a striker continues, Kevin Volland in my sights.

What I meant by "I don't think it's possible" is that I think you've achieved too much, too fast before your reputation/facilities/funds/etc. had a chance to keep up with the rest of the big teams. Nice achievements btw, and Volland would be a great replacement. Also try looking at Angelo Henriquez. Always develops really well for me.

Good to hear you're moving on! Break ups are never pleasant >,<

He said that he loaded the game when PSG matched the clause, so he might have done that before when losing matches.

View attachment 612661

I wouldn't dare lie to you sir, ECC and English Premier Division 2015, please see attached image and weep :)

My reputation is Worldwide so it can't be that, I ended up selling the unloyal gimp in the end. I offered him 130 thousand a week plus add-ons but he chose to PSG, I click on him and see that he's earning only 105 thousand a week.

We face PSG in pre-season and I plan on making everyone get stuck in on the guy. Studs up!

Anyway I'm over it, now the search for a striker continues, Kevin Volland in my sights.

Don't forget the differences in tax!
The amount they get taxed in England is huge compared so even though he is earning £25k less net he is probably earning more gross.
I've been screwed over loads by the ridiculously high taxes in England with players going to clubs on the same level as me but getting paid much less (net).

What I meant by "I don't think it's possible" is that I think you've achieved too much, too fast before your reputation/facilities/funds/etc. had a chance to keep up with the rest of the big teams. Nice achievements btw, and Volland would be a great replacement. Also try looking at Angelo Henriquez. Always develops really well for me.

Good to hear you're moving on! Break ups are never pleasant >,<

Didn't mean to come off as a smart ****, you're probably right about the facilities as I haven't touched them or the stadium or anything else, best polish that up. Ended up getting Volland, only thing is he can't play as a Target Man which was what Benteke was when leading my line, doing some tweaking to my tactics to accomodate him, just acquired the services of Drogba as a back-up too.

Breaking up is hard to do, but is made easier with 40 million pounds in the kitty ^^)

btw beat PSG 5-1 in pre-season, not that it matters, but I feel some sense of redemption there so let me have it!

Last edited:
He said that he loaded the game when PSG matched the clause, so he might have done that before when losing matches.

It took a club with loads more cash than mine triggering the release clause for one of my best players for me to do that. But every new contract offer or big signing I make from now on will include an insanely high release clause to prevent that (or at least nicely compensate me for my loss). But since selling him, being the first major loss to the team in my save, I realize any players replaceable so I wouldn't bother doing it again.

If there's still doubt in your mind, I can share my tactics if you'd like to test them yourself?

Don't forget the differences in tax!
The amount they get taxed in England is huge compared so even though he is earning £25k less net he is probably earning more gross.
I've been screwed over loads by the ridiculously high taxes in England with players going to clubs on the same level as me but getting paid much less (net).

I never though of that, I seem to undermine the technicalities of the financial aspect of the game.

Are there any guides you know of on the forum that break down all that sort of stuff?

I'm in my 4th season with Liverpool (original database) and I've won 3 Champions Leagues in a row. Sometimes the results just fall the right way for you.

I never though of that, I seem to undermine the technicalities of the financial aspect of the game.

Are there any guides you know of on the forum that break down all that sort of stuff?

These are rough tax rates
England: 47%
Spain: 58%
France: 43%
Germany: 45%
Russia: 12%

130,000 pounds is 68,900; tax at 47%
105,000 pounds is 59,850; tax at 43%

there's only 9k in the difference so that's next to nothing when you're dealing with contracts that high.
Bonuses are the key to world class players since they score many goals or play many matches. Get into teams of the year and make international appearances, ect. a player can sometimes out earn their wage in bonuses.

I've put a spoiler tag here since I'm using figures form the editor to explain why I think he wanted to move.
Benteke has an Ambition of 16 and a loyalty of 4 so you never really had a hope of keeping him when bigger clubs came calling.

Aston Villa has a reputation of 6450 and PSG has a reputation of 8500 so i don't think you would have been able to catch up to them in 2 years; even with those successes.

But even if you had, Villa is in Birmingham which has an attraction of 12 whereas PSG, in Paris, has an attraction of 20, making it an extremely attractive option for a player to move to

It took a club with loads more cash than mine triggering the release clause for one of my best players for me to do that. But every new contract offer or big signing I make from now on will include an insanely high release clause to prevent that (or at least nicely compensate me for my loss). But since selling him, being the first major loss to the team in my save, I realize any players replaceable so I wouldn't bother doing it again.

If there's still doubt in your mind, I can share my tactics if you'd like to test them yourself?

I would like to try your tactic, send me PM